Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

2 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

New single is a very decent Talking Heads pastiche, but overall I think this album doesn't really have the uniqueness that the others do. The other 4 records could only be Arcade Fire, this one just sounds like its influences.

Nah, Everything Now sounds more like The Arcade Fire than the whole of Reflektor put together.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Where did Creature Comfort go from "one of the best songs I've ever heard" to "good, not spectacular"? :lol:

Hahahahaha, once the hype of "fuck it's another Arcade Fire song" went it kinda converged to like an 8/10. Tbf I think I did acknowledge I was being over the top saying that. :lol:

I agree with Signs of Life specifically being too pastiche, but I wouldn't say that about the other two tracks, particularly in comparison to their older stuff which is sometimes guilty of the same thing. Maybe it's just a gap in my musical knowledge but I don't even know who else Creature Comfort sounds like? I get some Suicide and New Order vibes from it in different parts, but it doesn't sound like a song by either of them.

Not really a fan of Signs of Life. Struggling to get excited about this new album at all tbh - they seem to have taken the bits of Reflektor that brought it down and expanded on them, and I can't help but feel it's gonna be another Reflektor in that there will be definite highlights (I mean, it's an Arcade Fire album after all) but overall a disappointment. 

1 minute ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I think Reflektor is a buzzin album and you're all too mean to it.

Like has been said many times before, there's a great album in there, but they decided to surround it with another not so great album. Always make the comment of 'they should've condensed it down to a single disk' but then remember that they probably would've cut out all the wrong tracks and Flashbulb Eyes definitely would've made the cut.

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Like has been said many times before, there's a great album in there, but they decided to surround it with another not so great album. Always make the comment of 'they should've condensed it down to a single disk' but then remember that they probably would've cut out all the wrong tracks and Flashbulb Eyes definitely would've made the cut.

I like Flashbulb Eyes. Reminds me of Monkey Island, in a good way.

Just now, FloorFiller said:

I don't mind Flashbulb Eyes. I think the issue with it is that so much of disc 1 is just fannying around with little focus on the theme, then disc 2 is very very focused on the concept. Stuff like You Already Know and We Exist are good songs, but when the Orpheus and Eurydice tracks and Supersymmetry are doing all the heavy lifting you just feel like you might as well skip to them.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I like Flashbulb Eyes. Reminds me of Monkey Island, in a good way.

Is there ever a bad way of being reminded of Monkey Island?

Spent the day listening to and loving all 3 new songs. I am beyond excited for the new record. Everything Now was initially a bit of a let down. Didn't hear it for a couple of weeks but began humming it t'other day. Now I hold it up there with the best songs they've done.

Think this album is gonna be the crux of if I consider myself an Arcade Fire fan anymore (I know - I bet they're shitting it). Obviously Funeral, and to a lesser extent the two that followed, will always hold a huge place in my heart, but I just find myself less and less interested/excited about what they're doing these days. Maybe a bit premature, but it's becoming more and more apparent that the band who released Funeral are long gone.

I'm curious how the record will sound. To me, Signs of Life sounds like a filler album track - it has a nice groove but is a bit repetitive by the end.  The repetitive thing suits Creature Comfort for the style of song and as a comment on  media and consumerism or whatever (it does sound like a commercial jingle), but with Signs of Life it feels like Win gave up writing half the lyrics for no effective reason.  The bridge of Creature Comfort is really powerful too, but Signs of Life doesn't really go anywhere.

The album could be great, but I am a touch worried if these three are the strongest to use as singles.  Im hoping Signs of Life is the Flashbulb Eyes of the album.  Not to knock Flashbulb Eyes or Reflektor, but if they had used that as a single I would have been worried.

Edited by fowls

The only opinion I've seen of the album by someone who's heard it is 'good not great' and they said it was a bit of a retread of Reflektor, but didn't expand much beyond that. Think that there were write-ups on Reflektor published at least a few weeks before it was released.

49 minutes ago, fowls said:

The album could be great, but I am a touch worried if these three are the strongest to use as singles.  Im hoping Signs of Life is the Flashbulb Eyes of the album.  Not to knock Flashbulb Eyes or Reflektor, but if they had used that as a single I would have been worried.

Admittedly the lead singles for Reflektor were album highlights, but You Already Know and City With No Children were both given single releases and they're maybe my two least favourite songs across all five main releases. Even in terms of pre-album singles to build hype, Month of May isn't exactly a highlight of The Suburbs imo. 

Another one out again this Friday apparently though, and four before the album is too much. Will probably listen but if there's any more beyond that I'll have to just avoid the internet for a few weeks.

Edited by bocumaroy

5 minutes ago, bocumaroy said:

Another one out again this Friday apparently though, and four before the album is too much. Will probably listen but if there's any more beyond that I'll have to just avoid the internet for a few weeks.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if there's another live debut at the London shows next week.