Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

:D

The Arcade Fire are really bloody good, it's true!

What atmosphere did the stage placement help create? I associate "In The Round" with complex arena shows generally, so I'm v curious!

28 minutes ago, Simpo said:

:D

The Arcade Fire are really bloody good, it's true!

What atmosphere did the stage placement help create? I associate "In The Round" with complex arena shows generally, so I'm v curious!

IT WAS GLORIOUS!

The stage really helped create a party atmosphere during the first 4 songs.  From the balcony I could see some sides getting more into it than others, but on the whole it was really great.  Seeing the band having freedom to go around the stage was really fun, but the stage was a lot smaller than Primavera so there was a lot of swapping round.

AND REFLEKTOR IN THE DARK WITH EVERYONE'S PHONE TORCHES ON!!!! That was magical.  Would have just been self-indulgent without the centre stage.

I think the side balcony was the best place to be.  Still really close, but could easily see the whole band.  Those standing at the front probably could only really see one or two sides.  There was plenty of space on the balcony too, so we stood at different spots during the show - never had so much space to dance!  

18920482_10158784167330015_5113760673431

Regine's dancing was top notch too.  During one song (think it was Afterlife?) the session musicians and Regine started dancing in a line.  So cute.

Edited by fowls

Awww fantastic!

20 minutes ago, fowls said:

AND REFLEKTOR IN THE DARK WITH EVERYONE'S PHONE TORCHES ON!!!! That was magical.  Would have just been self-indulgent without the centre stage.

:o My goodness, that's something from the pre-Funeral days, they'd ask people to come to their little shows in Montreal with flashlights!

The beauty of the 360 stage in that size room was that it's impossible to be far away. But also the floor was not at all densely populated; I went to the toilet right before and ended up on the rail during the encore (admitaly helped by people vacating it when will joined the crowd during rebellion).

They don't move around loads so I didn't see win and regine up close as much as would have been nice but they were still visible from the opposite side and it was kind of cool to watch everyone else instead.

6 minutes ago, Simpo said:

Awww fantastic!

:o My goodness, that's something from the pre-Funeral days, they'd ask people to come to their little shows in Montreal with flashlights!

It all seemed very spontaneous.  Win shouted at the sound guy to cut the lights during Sprawl 2, and then told him to keep them off.  It took a while for everyone to twig to turn their torches on (the sound guy even got confused after the first verse and thought it was time for the lights to come back on, before Win shouted at him again), but by about halfway through the song the lights were everywhere.

Playing Wake Up acoustic was spontaneous too.  Will had jumped off into the crowd during the previous song.  Win said "Where's Will?!  Will Will Butler please report to the stage?"  Will kept running around the crowd jumping up and down and then hiding again.  Win said "That's it, give me an acoustic guitar", put down his electric guitar and told the sound guy to cut all PAs except a few mics for singing.  My jaw hit the floor!

Edited by fowls

3 minutes ago, Simpo said:

Just after Funeral's release actually, at shows including Toronto and San Francisco! Go here at 31:30 for a quick burst of that (password is "temporaryareas")

37 minutes ago, fowls said:

It all seemed very spontaneous.  Win shouted at the sound guy to cut the lights during Sprawl 2, and then told him to keep them off.  It took a while for everyone to twig to turn their torches on (the sound guy even got confused after the first verse and thought it was time for the lights to come back on, before Win shouted at him again), but by about halfway through the song the lights were everywhere.

Playing Wake Up acoustic was spontaneous too.  Will had jumped off into the crowd during the previous song.  Win said "Where's Will?!  Will Will Butler please report to the stage?"  Will kept running around the crowd jumping up and down and then hiding again.  Win said "That's it, give me an acoustic guitar", put down his electric guitar and told the sound guy to cut all PAs except a few mics for singing.  My jaw hit the floor!

I thought he told them to turn the lights back on?

Anyway it was amazing the way it happened.

2 hours ago, fowls said:

IT WAS GLORIOUS!

The stage really helped create a party atmosphere during the first 4 songs.  From the balcony I could see some sides getting more into it than others, but on the whole it was really great.  Seeing the band having freedom to go around the stage was really fun, but the stage was a lot smaller than Primavera so there was a lot of swapping round.

I think the side balcony was the best place to be.  Still really close, but could easily see the whole band.  Those standing at the front probably could only really see one or two sides.  There was plenty of space on the balcony too, so we stood at different spots during the show - never had so much space to dance!  

18920482_10158784167330015_5113760673431

Regine's dancing was top notch too.  During one song (think it was Afterlife?) the session musicians and Regine started dancing in a line.  So cute.

Oh wow!!! That sounds amazing!!

Explains the choice for York Hall in London (which I have a golden ticket for xD) now, as thats a boxing hall for those that don't know, so should be easy to accommodate this stage setup in the "round" than other small venues.

2 hours ago, LondonTom said:

Explains the choice for York Hall in London (which I have a golden ticket for xD) now, as thats a boxing hall for those that don't know, so should be easy to accommodate this stage setup in the "round" than other small venues.

Makes the choice of Edinburgh Corn Exchange even more baffling......

5 hours ago, LondonTom said:

Oh wow!!! That sounds amazing!!

Is it wrong to be more excited for the York Hall gig than for Glasto?

5 hours ago, TiZuff said:

wonder if castlefield bowl could have the same setup?? but then again their is a supporting band???

Was thinking that myself. It'll be the first castlefield bowl gig I've been to but having walked through there before and seeing pictures of shows from previous years I can't see how they could do it. 

*Unless we're all getting on boats there that take us out into Manchester ship canal where we all stop around a big STAGE BOAT that Arcade Fire perform on. I wouldn't put it past them.

Edited by elgatonegrofabricwardrobe

Woke up this morning and still cannot believe just how good it was. Educated guess got me in front of Win for most of the gig. truly amazing gig, do not think it will be beaten this year. Lot of video footage filmed tonight so not sure what they will do with it. next single maybe? Again just wowIMG_1523.thumb.JPG.20b52418b21cf56d89d1315d9236dc46.JPG