Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

9 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Well if there's something coming, I hope it is new music. If we're going to be getting new songs in Manchester then I'd ideally like to hear them beforehand. It'd obviously be different if they weren't recorded yet, and the live shows were a way to work them out before getting them on tape; but I think as far as we know the album is recorded and mastered and ready to go. Any idea what it'll sound like? Didn't one of them say it was going in more of new wave/post punk direction?

The Primavera show will be broadcast online so new tracks will be all over the music sites over the weekend and you'd have a chance to get to grips with them even if there's no single release.

I think what Joel is getting at about it being a 'big week' is that at the end of the week the tour starts so if they were gonna put out a single that they were gonna play on this tour ahead of occasion then this would be the week to do so. I don't think he'd be cryptic about it if he knew we were getting new music.

10 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Well if there's something coming, I hope it is new music. If we're going to be getting new songs in Manchester then I'd ideally like to hear them beforehand. It'd obviously be different if they weren't recorded yet, and the live shows were a way to work them out before getting them on tape; but I think as far as we know the album is recorded and mastered and ready to go. Any idea what it'll sound like? Didn't one of them say it was going in more of new wave/post punk direction?

I'm hoping they move away from disco. 

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'm hoping they move away from disco. 

Ye, if it was all stuff like Afterlife, Reflektor, Here Comes The Night Time, Supersymmetry I wouldn't complain, but they've obviously taken that as far as they can.. I like Reflektor, it's got some properly essential tunes on it and the concept of it appeals to my sense of order; but it obviously wasn't a success under its own terms, purely because it was padded out too much. There really weren't enough interesting things they could do with the sound they were working with. I think if they hadn't been so heavily tied to it, and been willing to incorporate more of the instrumentation and songwriting styles they did on Black Mirror and Funeral, it would've been much better.

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Ye, if it was all stuff like Afterlife, Reflektor, Here Comes The Night Time, Supersymmetry I wouldn't complain, but they've obviously taken that as far as they can.

I'll defend the perfection of Reflektor to my dying breath, but I agree.  It's fantastic as a stand-alone concept album, but I hope it doesn't simply represent a switch from the acoustic mob sound to disco rock.  But then again, it's never crossed my mind that the next album will sound like Reflektor.  

They certainly have a working formula now (self-contained concept album broadly discussing a subject through the context of relationships [and more recently, feminism and masculinity] with a loose narrative running throughout and repeating lyrical motifs), but I don't think that formula stretches to music style or genre.  It's not like they latched onto the big choral shouts of Funeral and kept using them album after album.

Edited by fowls

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Ye, if it was all stuff like Afterlife, Reflektor, Here Comes The Night Time, Supersymmetry I wouldn't complain, but they've obviously taken that as far as they can.. I like Reflektor, it's got some properly essential tunes on it and the concept of it appeals to my sense of order; but it obviously wasn't a success under its own terms, purely because it was padded out too much. There really weren't enough interesting things they could do with the sound they were working with. I think if they hadn't been so heavily tied to it, and been willing to incorporate more of the instrumentation and songwriting styles they did on Black Mirror and Funeral, it would've been much better.

They always move their sound on after each album so no they probably won't go full disco again. I like Reflektor but agree that it is overblown. You could cut it down to one disc and it would be better. As much as I love James Murphy's other work I'm not sure his production is that great on there.

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

They always move their sound on after each album so no they probably won't go full disco again. I like Reflektor but agree that it is overblown. You could cut it down to one disc and it would be better. As much as I love James Murphy's other work I'm not sure his production is that great on there.

Yeah that's the issue; there's really 1 disc's worth of great music on it, but the 2 discs is central to the concept.

1 minute ago, Wakey321 said:

I managed to get Sc**thorpe tickets for next week so have faith!

I was fortunate enough to be able to go to The Roundhouse back in 2013 so if my luck runs out I can't complain too much. York Hall isn't a great venue by any stretch (think it's main function is a gym and boxing hall), but I mean, it's Arcade fking Fire.