Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

2 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Where are we at with Tidal, has it failed yet?

I have to believe that they don't really know that much about it, the whole thing just seems so not them.

Does it? They've been noted for being pretty clued up on the financial side of the music industry, and the current model doesn't work (I mean it probably does alright for them, but still). I think the main problem with Tidal it's image after that ridiculous launch. Reckon the new album will be exclusive to it at first. 

The proceeds thing does seem a bit flawed if you can't the track though. 

1 hour ago, bocumaroy said:

I like it. Does sound a bit too much like Gold Digger but I don't really care tbh, Sprawl II sounds too much like Heart of Glass but it's still one of my favourite songs. 

Edit: not a classic but better than any of the deluxe Reflektor stuff

I think they're just doing the same as Kanye did and taking inspiration off a soul standard. And here I'm guessing they're mining soul to make it like a civil rights-era chant (as someone pointed out) with Mavis Staples in tow and what-not, via goofy synths.

It's growing on me, but I still reckon it's best left a B-side.

Yeah I agree, hadn't thought about that connection but it definitely makes me sense with Mavis involved. I think what's most exciting is how much I like it sonically, so if it's that kind of direction with some more interesting songwriting on the album I'll be happy (basically it's good enough to not have me fearing the worst yet). 

Hmmmm ... it's not bad. But it's far from great either! Not what I was hoping for as a comeback really! 

Im thinking that maybe this is just a single to mark the Trump inauguration only, and not necessarily an album or comeback track. More as a 'yeah we're around and making new music, but oh yeah. F**k You Donald' type thing. 

Edited by st dan

22 minutes ago, st dan said:

Im thinking that maybe this is just a single to mark the Trump inauguration only, and not necessarily an album or comeback track. More as a 'yeah we're around and making new music, but oh yeah. F**k You Donald' type thing. 

I'm thinking you're right:

http://pitchfork.com/news/71018-arcade-fires-win-butler-discusses-new-song-in-new-interview-listen/

8 minutes ago, Chawk said:

in Spotify's early days (2008) Funeral was always missing, then it got added along with the original 'The Arcade Fire' EP. But now gone again, I guess they have different rights.

It's not up on Google Play either, suggesting it's a deal with the album itself rather than Spotify. 

It really pisses me off when individual albums aren't on the streaming sites - really wanted to listen to Zeitgeist by Smashing Pumpkins the other day as me and a mate were talking about it and then had to youtube.

New AF song 6/10 first listen sadly

3 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I might be the only one.... but I like it.

I sort of like it again now, in a pretty disposable way. It doesn't even quite sound like a full band song, but the vocals are really good and it's really nice when the organ kicks in. It's a nice novelty to have for the Mavis Staples feature, and I like it probably more than any non-album song since the Neon Bible era, though that's not saying a lot. Will probably change my mind soon. 

29 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

I think that whenever they try and be edgy they lose a lot of what made Funeral so great, the new song sounds like Kasabian.

What's edgy about it? I think they might just be running out ideas. Comparing it with Funeral is quite depressing but I feel like it'd be even worse if they tried to recapture that. 

Got pretty low expectations for the new album, regardless of this song.  

• Downvote 1

14 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Hmm, Funeral's been pulled from Spotify. It's on Tidal though.

13 hours ago, TomViolence said:

I found that very odd. Any reason why?

3 hours ago, reflekting said:

It's not up on Google Play either, suggesting it's a deal with the album itself rather than Spotify. 

Yeah I noticed this at the very start of the new year. I noticed on the 2nd of Jan so I presume it was taken down on New Years day and with it being released 10 years ago this year I presumed it has something to do with the rights of the album. Still hopeful that it'll come back but if it doesn't its not really a huge problem as I'll just put the files on my phone anyway. Better than paying for Tidal

Edited by justanothername