Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

I'm sceptical but...

I was speaking to my friend yesterday and was telling her about Arcade Fire playing Primavera Sound next year.

Apparently her friends colleague goes out with a music journalist and at the weekend he found out Arcade Fire are playing Saturday of Glastonbury 2014...

Again, I'm sceptical and wouldn't recommend anyone to necessarily believe that, but would thought you would all like to know!

if it was info saying that they possibly weren't playing then i'd just write it off, but i want them to headline so much that i'm willing to believe anything. with a pinch of salt, of course

A Glasto headlining slot chiefly comrpising material from Reflektor would be the biggest main stage downer since Gorillaz went belly up in 2010.

Hugely interesting booking if it comes to pass. Largest crowd ive seen on the Other Stage yet they can only manage 5,000 for a headliner spot at Oxegen during the peak of their "Suburbs" hype. Its certainly a roll of the dice for the bookers in pencilling them down for a Pyramid spot. Could be triumphant, could go tits up.

- - -

I'm knee deep in the Jonathan Wilson record at the mo so have no time/money for 'Reflektor' but will reserve judgement till I've given it a few listens.

Btw Gorilliaz '10 is as misunderstood as Arcade Fire is overrated mate.

Reading and Leeds / Oxegen were the wrong crowds for Arcade Fire. though i was happy as larry when they were announced for R/Ls (as i was going) the reaction to their booking (and the crowd turnout) was mixed at best. Glastonbury, though, is another story, and especially now with two number one albums under their belt (so no 'are they big enough to headline?' nonsense)

If they bring out the big guns like Wake Up and Rebellion then they'll ace it - but if they opt for a connoisseurs setlist then there'll definitely be a few puzzled faces.

and of course they would. why would you think they'd do an all-Reflektor setlist?

Tunnels, Power Out, Wake Up, Rebellion, Keep The Car Running, Intervention, No Cars Go, The Suburbs, Ready To Start, Month Of May, We Used To Wait, Sprawl II would all almost definitely be played along with the new songs, and it would be oh so glorious. Gorillaz didn't exactly have the biggest arsenal of big hitters under their belt before Plastic Beach was released. in fact the only noticeable omission was 19-2000 if i remember correctly

If they bring out the big guns like Wake Up and Rebellion then they'll ace it - but if they opt for a connoisseurs setlist then there'll definitely be a few puzzled faces.

I remember their performance from Reading a few years back when they headlined. Looked fantastic.

Can't really see there being much concern if they were booked. People would be more energised to see them than Elbow (for example) IMO.

I dunno, I dunno - they appear to be in their petulant, adolescent phase at the moment - rebelling at the prospect of their own success. Wouldn't surprise me to see them trying to be awkward just for the sake of it.

agree with you on that one. luckily i think these small The Reflektors shows are their way of having their cake and eating it too - they get to do what most bands don't / shouldn't dare to do and play incredibly new album heavy shows and then later on they can play the crowd pleasers for the £££

Struggling to see why people care whether it would be considered a 'successful' booking or not. Surely it's a personal thing? If you like Arcade Fire (I personally don't) then it's a great booking for you. Don't worry about 'puzzled faces' that shouldn't affect you in the slightest. I watched Gorillaz, was really into Plastic Beach at the time and was totally immersed by it. I don't care if the casual listener didn't enjoy it, just doesn't bother me.

An energised and enthusiastic crowd is an intrinsic part of the magic, majesty and mystery of going to see live music. That you don't absorb and appreciate this tells me you don't get it chief. At all. To take your logic to the nth degree you'd happily stand there on your own at a huge show and have a blast? Mhmm.

i stand by my disappointment. Flashbulb Eyes just shouldn't be on the album. both the song itself and the lyrics are fucking awful. "what if the camera really do steal your soul" sounds like the lyrics of some moody teenage goth band. terrible

Haha - that's probably why I like it! I have the soul of a moody teenage goth trapped in the body of a 30-year-old.

I like it - it sounds a bit reggaeish. It's fun! I hope they play it live for you.

"Reading" how the greats capture not just the attention of a crowd of people but a moment in time is one of the things that brings me back again and again to the live music experience. Its crucial to my own participation. The best gigs are the ones that make you turn your head away from the stage to marvel agog at the collective shared sense of presence of thousands of strangers.

• Upvote 2

An energised and enthusiastic crowd is an intrinsic part of the magic, majesty and mystery of going to see live music. That you don't absorb and appreciate this tells me you don't get it chief. At all. To take your logic to the nth degree you'd happily stand there on your own at a huge show and have a blast? Mhmm.

But that's not the same as successful (in the way that he was using it). The Arcade Fire crowd at Reading was great, it was just comparatively small. You don't need large numbers to make an energetic and enthused crowd.

I'm sceptical but...

I was speaking to my friend yesterday and was telling her about Arcade Fire playing Primavera Sound next year.

Apparently her friends colleague goes out with a music journalist and at the weekend he found out Arcade Fire are playing Saturday of Glastonbury 2014...

Again, I'm sceptical and wouldn't recommend anyone to necessarily believe that, but would thought you would all like to know!

I'll take it :D I will believe (and ignore the rumors they are not doing Glastonbury :P)

I noticed Efestivals says Primavera Sound is their only show in Spain next year, I wonder if this means Europe won't be getting a full proper tour? Which could mean they would be chasing big bucks exclusive shows?

Best not happen! I had a pre-order code for the reflektors shows but no one wanted to go and I thought it was a bit expensive for a possible short set >_> but a Glastonbury headline show would make up for it.

They'd get a smallish Pyramid crowd I think, but it would hopefully be an appreciative crowd that would still create magic in the field.

They might play 6/7 Reflektor songs, but I'd guess they would add in all the big crowd pleasers. Tbh I wouldn't mind if did come out and be all moody about the whole thing, it'd still be great for fans and the people there. Don't forget these shows are being billed as "The Reflektors" by them rather than as Arcade Fire shows which is one way to look at it.

This one is gonna roll on and on and on and on!

Until someone finds a tour date somewhere else in the world which rules out a glasto appearance. At the moment I would say its 60/40 on them to play.

It would make a great deal of sense for them to play but equally they might not be at all bothered. Anything apart from pyramid headliner is out of the question given their popularity so it depends on what if anything has already been pencilled in for those slots.

Nick cave played both primavera and glasto last year.

Bonnaroo and Coachella sharing headliners??!! hmm...i don't think so. If i had time i'd look it up but would be willing to bet they've likely never had same headliner in a year. I don't think Widespread Panic would go down well headlining Coachella...

and the idea that bookers worry about overlap from a Chicago and Chile festival is, well...i'll just let stop there....and let you find me a year when Coachella and Bonnaroo had a same headliner

off the top of my head, Radiohead in 2012 headlined Coachella and Bonnaroo

If they can mix it up from all of their albums they'll definitely smash it, fingers crossed they'll headline and not be to up their own arse 'the reflektors' hype to give what the fans would want which would be a good mixture!

Struggling to see why people care whether it would be considered a 'successful' booking or not. Surely it's a personal thing? If you like Arcade Fire (I personally don't) then it's a great booking for you. Don't worry about 'puzzled faces' that shouldn't affect you in the slightest. I watched Gorillaz, was really into Plastic Beach at the time and was totally immersed by it. I don't care if the casual listener didn't enjoy it, just doesn't bother me.

Completely agree with Wooderson on this. If the crowd aren't in to it, it affects the gig massively for me almost to the point where I won't enjoy the gig. Radiohead at Leeds Festival 2009 being a prime example, one of my favourite bands but the crowd were terrible, made for a confusing experience.

Could someone explain how they're being adolescent or petulant or up their own arse?

Several instances on the new album. The end of Supersymmetry, for one thing. The lyrics, which seem to be mostly instances of whining about being a successful rock star

Playing 'secret' warm up gigs in pretty sizable venues for £35 a pop. With fancy dress mandatory for all attendees.

They just seem a bit short of....charm.

With fancy dress mandatory for all attendees.

Still not true.

Anyway it's horses for courses I guess, for some people doing secret gigs in comparatively small venues that they're never going to play on their full tour supported by a relatively obscure guerilla (for want of a better word) ad campaign is charming and different. Some of it smacks of doing things for their own amusement (the fake stage at the NY gig would have seriously fucked me off), but I welcome anything different to the boring norm or that adds a bit of character to proceedings.

Edited by mrtourette