Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

The reason dinosaurs headline year after year is cos the new stuff coming through is crap. You've mentioned a load of bands who have been around for way longer than the 2000s. PJ harvey, white stripes, arcade fire. They are from last century.

The band of the moment, mumford & sons, flopped this year.

Compare that with radiohead who headlined in 1997 at a similar point of their career.

albums of the year this year? bowie, nick cave....who is there to replace guys like that?

the bloody horrors!?

I'm actually starting to feel sorry for you Russy. The world has moved on and left you behind and it just leaves you longing for the good old days....

Nothing is like it used to be, nor ever was old chap :)

more respected & more loved in south of england?

Played the Arena and GMex in MCR on their last tour plus the Arena in 2007. Also the SECC in Glasgow and Edinburgh Castle.

As far as I am aware they have sold out pretty much every gig they have had in Scotland since the first album. Brilliant band, after the Leeds/Reading headline spot any misconception about them not being big/good enough to be headliner should have been well forgotten, would suit a Glasto headliner spot over most of the other big fests too

Arcade Fire were formed in 2001, Funeral was 2004. They're a band from the 2000's. First White Stripes single was 1998, but White Blood Cells was 2001 and Elephant 2003. They're much more a band of the 2000's than a 90s.

Couldn't care less about Mumfords. I hate the current trend for bands reforming. With an older festival audience that appear less prepared to take chances, who want things they know, you end up with lots of these types of bands. With Arctic Monkeys and Mumfords, Glastonbury at least tried to offer us some headliners that are current (although I personally don't like either).

I like to think that when you look at a Glastonbury line-up, it kind of capture the essence of the music scene at the time. Happy Mondays 1990, Oasis 95, Radiohead 97, White Stripes 05, but I don't think it does anymore.

In my opinion Arcade Fire are the best of the big bands at the moment, and they would be the first headliner I've seen on the Pyramid since 2005.

As for best albums this year, Boards of Canada (yep another 90's band), Mount Kimbie, Fuck Buttons, none of them are going to be massive but so what. Bowie and Cave are exceptional. Artists like that don't come along very often. You'll disagree, but I think Arcade Fire are up with them (Bowie is certainly desperate to share the stage with them).

I agree with pretty much all of this. I would always want new bands headlining over old bands.

I do like arcade fire, they should have played in 07 or 08.

I do agree that the headliners should reflect the era, with the odd legend thrown in.

But you seem to think this doesn't happen because the crowd demand old dinosaurs, whereas I think it's because this era just doesn't have enough acts that are good enough to do it.

I'd much rather someone like hot chip headlined next year than Fleetwood mac for example

I'm actually starting to feel sorry for you Russy. The world has moved on and left you behind and it just leaves you longing for the good old days....

Nothing is like it used to be, nor ever was old chap :)

Haha no need to feel sorry for me, I look back over what I have seen and done at Glastonbury and am very comfortable with my existence!

I don't yearn for the good old days, I just think they were much better than these days. I'd have hated it if the festival was full of reformed dinosaurs back when I was in my peak

I agree with pretty much all of this. I would always want new bands headlining over old bands.

I do like arcade fire, they should have played in 07 or 08.

I do agree that the headliners should reflect the era, with the odd legend thrown in.

But you seem to think this doesn't happen because the crowd demand old dinosaurs, whereas I think it's because this era just doesn't have enough acts that are good enough to do it.

I'd much rather someone like hot chip headlined next year than Fleetwood mac for example

I think you've pretty much nailed what I think. I'd argue that it's the crowd that has changed, and are demanding these older bands. Look on here how much interest the Rolling Stones generated. Witness how people are arguing that Arcade Fire should not headline, when a few years ago a band of their size would have been an obvious choice. The Glastonbury crowd would rather have Fleetwood Mac these days. Agree that 07, 08 will probably be seen as the peek time to have seen Arcade Fire, with lots of Funeral tracks being played. Plus that buzz of lots of people seeing them for the first time.

As for the current music scene, my glass is half full, where as yours seems to be half empty. Always hard to compare against class acts like Nick Cave though. Plus I got into music in the late 80's early 90's and had My Bloody Valentine and The Pixies touring pretty regularly. Sonic Youth were at their peak, Nirvana were just starting. It was an exceptional period, not the norm. I didn't know how good I had it. I can still appreciate the really good bands that are around now. They're a little harder to find, and maybe I don't try quite as hard to discover new music now, but they are there.

The reason dinosaurs headline year after year is cos the new stuff coming through is crap. You've mentioned a load of bands who have been around for way longer than the 2000s. PJ harvey, white stripes, arcade fire. They are from last century.

The band of the moment, mumford & sons, flopped this year.

Compare that with radiohead who headlined in 1997 at a similar point of their career.

albums of the year this year? bowie, nick cave....who is there to replace guys like that?

the bloody horrors!?

Not that I'm comparing them to the greats, but The Horrors' last two records were cracking!

Not that I'm comparing them to the greats, but The Horrors' last two records were cracking!

yeh, I thought their first album was dung, but they have put out 2 decent albums since for sure.

I'm not saying ALL music from 2000 onwards is shite - far from it! The walkmen are one of my favourite bands and I'd love to see them headline the pyramid! same goes for the national and loads of others. But realistically they never will. It just seems that "headline sized" bands (if you know what I mean) just dont seem to exist anymore, apart from the established dinosaurs. It's weird

No reason really to throw this in, but here's Hot Chip covering Fleetwood Mac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBPveeT1M9s

Can't be bothered with Fleetwood Mac really. Number one they remind me of an ex and number two they just seem very MOR.

The rolling stones I can understand why they headlined. But fleetwood mac? Makes no sense to me really.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would post this on here. Never been so excited from a 40 second clip of music! Would anyone know when they say 9pm what time zone that will be? I would assume it would be Montreal time due to that being where the band is from but there is a lot of mystery around it so suppose it could be anytime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i2wp3GkNrg

Thought I would post this on here. Never been so excited from a 40 second clip of music! Would anyone know when they say 9pm what time zone that will be? I would assume it would be Montreal time due to that being where the band is from but there is a lot of mystery around it so suppose it could be anytime.

i think it's 9pm in every time zone - certainly seems to be in the UK

It says 9:30 Newfoundland which is 3.5 hours behind us (BST) which would make it 1am here on 10/9

Really not sure what the 9pm reference is though as Montreal would be 8pm if Newfoundland was 9:30 and Port au Prince in Haiti even earlier.

It is exciting though eh? :)

Hadn`t seen that - cheers. I`m guessing they will drip feed info over the next couple of days to clear up the release time thing and build momentum. One of the big online sites must be due to announce soon when exactly it will be available.

So many things seem rather contradictory in that article. The picture with the track-list doesn't have the song mentioned from the report from the alleged gig they did.

The mystery is definitely increasing the excitement as no one quite knows exactly what's going to be announced. A new single along with a World Tour would be ideal!

Incredible track. Groovy and catchy but still with their signature anthemic sound. I like how it doesn't sound like anything they have released before. The Win, Regine duet vocals work brilliantly. I love it and bring on the album!

Another link for people as the pitchfork track has been removed: http://omnimusic.tumblr.com/post/60570949008/arcade-fire-reflektor-not-confirmed