Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

New album in October and just announced for Big Day Out in Australia:

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/big-day-out-2014-adds-third-main-stage-for-pearl-jam-blur-and-arcade-fire/story-e6frfn09-1226689058656

Not much of a Pearl Jam fan but that seems a pretty solid line-up right there.

So are Arcade Fire in with a shout? Surely they'd only be headlining if they played at all so would depend on one of the rumours falling through, if they are correct.

47 degrees is insane! Imagine that in this country, people would die.

Yeh that opera house thing must have been good, though I think the capacity is only about 2,000. Imagine being seated for a nick cave gig though!

I saw a "greatest ever australian musician" poll a while back (voted for by australians). Dont think cave was even in the top 5! Kylie, that INXS tit and some other whoppers were ahead of him. Incredible scenes

Seems silly really. Why do the festival at the hottest time of year? I mean, it makes sense for us when the hottest time of year is high-20s but over there? Don't see the logic of that.

I have been seated for a Nick Cave gig a couple of times, but they were gigs where everyone was seated, a little intimate 'An evening with...' kind of thing. The current live show needs to be enjoyed from a standing position though, I agree.

That poll sounds like an outrage. It's not like there's a *vast* amount of choice, is there?

Arcade Fire yes please. Amazing at every gig I've seen them do.

I've seem them twice and while I loved them at both I felt the location was not ideal both times (O2 and Hyde Park). Gutted I missed the boat on those early Brixton gigs!

I think the Pyramid is the perfect setting for them though.

Seems silly really. Why do the festival at the hottest time of year? I mean, it makes sense for us when the hottest time of year is high-20s but over there? Don't see the logic of that.

I have been seated for a Nick Cave gig a couple of times, but they were gigs where everyone was seated, a little intimate 'An evening with...' kind of thing. The current live show needs to be enjoyed from a standing position though, I agree.

That poll sounds like an outrage. It's not like there's a *vast* amount of choice, is there?

ah wow, were you at that small one that was filmed, one where he won an award? Cant remember what it was, something for the bbc I think. Looked amazing on youtube

as for arcade fire, my ex girlfriend was a massive fan and was into them from the start. We saw them in some tiny church venues in london. I didnt appreciate it much at the time, but looking back I was really lucky to see them in such intimate venues

cant remember a single thing about the gigs now like!

ah wow, were you at that small one that was filmed, one where he won an award? Cant remember what it was, something for the bbc I think. Looked amazing on youtube

as for arcade fire, my ex girlfriend was a massive fan and was into them from the start. We saw them in some tiny church venues in london. I didnt appreciate it much at the time, but looking back I was really lucky to see them in such intimate venues

Hmm, no I don't think so. I saw him at Colston Hall in Bristol (that one was amazing) and at some theatre in London that was all seated. That was when PJ Harvey came and did a song with him. Incredible.

Very jealous of those early Arcade Fire gigs! My friend invited me to Brixton and I declined as I wasn't into them then. I always seem to come to everything late.

47 degrees is insane! Imagine that in this country, people would die.

Yeh that opera house thing must have been good, though I think the capacity is only about 2,000. Imagine being seated for a nick cave gig though!

I saw a "greatest ever australian musician" poll a while back (voted for by australians). Dont think cave was even in the top 5! Kylie, that INXS tit and some other whoppers were ahead of him. Incredible scenes

When I was at Optimus Alive last year, the day after the fest ended and we'd been smashing it for about six days straight, the temperature decided to go up from 30 degrees every day to 40. It wasn't ideal.

I'd take all 3 headliners there :P

But especially Arcade Fire, hopefully the current rumour mill is wrong and the 'Mode or Elbow and we get Arcade Fire!

I second this. Couldn't give a monkeys about Elbow and while I'd like to see Depeche Mode I'm seeing them in November anyway. So, yes, Arcade Fire please Mr Eavis. Ta.

Arcade Fire yes please. Amazing at every gig I've seen them do.

Plus 1. The sound when they played at Edinburgh Castle was about as good as I`ve ever experienced at an outdoor gig. Did they not have some moan about Glastonbury in the past though.

Anywayz, makes sense with the new album coming out.

I'd take all 3 headliners there :P

But especially Arcade Fire, hopefully the current rumour mill is wrong and the 'Mode or Elbow and we get Arcade Fire!

It won't be wrong but it's more than likely someone will back out. Hopefully they'll be top of the pile of acts that could step in - neither of the exclusivity oriented festivals (R+L/V) will be going for them anyway.

They ought to really shouldn't they? Big homecoming show. He did the Sydney Opera House recently though, didnt he? That must have been something.

Not sure I could cope with the heat at BDO. 47 degrees? Screw that! I'm all for NFR NFC but there are limits.

Yeah he did it in February, I went to one of them. He was brilliant and had players from the Sydney Symphony Orchestra behind him and the sound was great, but then he was in a much happier mood which if anything took a little away from things as compared to his Glasto set. Nothing quite as intense as his now famous rendition of Stagger Lee at Glasto.

On topic, yeah pretty delighted they're coming down here, for me the second best live band I've ever seen after Radiohead. Still remember seeing them at Leadmill in Sheffield back in '05, not only were they musically brilliant but it was back when they used to march through the crowd during Rebellion (Lies). They'd also got talking to a couple before doors opened I think who ended up being at the front and found out it was their anniversary, so Win presented them with a bottle of wine between one of their songs.

Big Day Out usually has good line ups, shame the crowd at it is usually the Aussie equivalent of the crowd at Reading festival. As good as the line up looks, it all gets a bit confusing when you realise there going to have 3 main stages!

A good Aussie festival this November http://www.harvestfestival.com.au/lineup

Saw something about the three main stages. How's that work then?

Yeah he did it in February, I went to one of them. He was brilliant and had players from the Sydney Symphony Orchestra behind him and the sound was great, but then he was in a much happier mood which if anything took a little away from things as compared to his Glasto set. Nothing quite as intense as his now famous rendition of Stagger Lee at Glasto.

On topic, yeah pretty delighted they're coming down here, for me the second best live band I've ever seen after Radiohead. Still remember seeing them at Leadmill in Sheffield back in '05, not only were they musically brilliant but it was back when they used to march through the crowd during Rebellion (Lies). They'd also got talking to a couple before doors opened I think who ended up being at the front and found out it was their anniversary, so Win presented them with a bottle of wine between one of their songs.

I know that couple. They were regular posters on the main forum for the band (or at least the wife was). They are both really nice, and I think the band heard about the anniversary through the forum, which they used to post on back then (they don't any more, but I suspect they know what is going on). They were super excited to be seeing them on such a special day and the bottle of wine only added to it. They've still got it.

As for Glastonbury, the band may do it. Although as they get bigger, they're using their size to do things more their own way. That isn't always easy though and I suspect the management would be keen for them to headline a festival or two, rather than organise their own one day event. Depends on what's offered and stuff.

A few weeks ago Sarah (violinist) didn't even know what the band were doing in October as she was unsure if she could tour her side project, or if Arcade Fire would be working (either promoting new album or touring, or both). So they're in the early stages of sorting out 2014, with BDO being the first big news, with more to follow.

If they're true to form they will do some smaller dates to try out new material first.

I saw one of those tiny gigs before Neon Bible came out. It was a good gig, but not as good as the Brixton ones that came a couple of months after. They were almost a religious moment.

I also say their first gig in this country at Kings College. That was amazing for the whole wow factor as no one in the crowd knew what to expect. Ever since then I made it a mission to see them on every tour, as it was obvious how special they were. I think I've seen them 11 times including once in New York with David Bowie (in truth his appearance overshadowed the whole gig as we all knew it was going to happen).

Not so keen now that they're playing O2 and stuff. Part of the reason of travelling to see them was to catch them a few times before they started playing arenas. Glastonbury would be good though. Hearing Wake Up sung by 40000+ people is pretty special.

I'd say when they killed it at Reading and everywhere else they played worldwide in 2010, they should have been a no brainer for Glastonbury ever since.

It would be too late for them to be booked for 2011 as the headliners would have been booked already, 2013 too early I guess with them working on the album. So I can't really get my head around why they wouldn't be headlining 2014.

• Upvote 1