Which job would you take?

Guest nightcrawler13

It's a dilemma, but I think ultimately the idea falls apart from the literal contradiction in the idea of "paid charity workers".

If people are not motivated enough to do those good works for free, are they doing good works for others, or are they doing a job to support themselves?

Paid charity workers has led to a massive expansion of the charity sector - but not the resulting good works!!!

On top of that we now have charities being set up in the name of loads of people who die in tragic circumstances, and where the point of the charity is more about family members keeping the memory of their lost one alive - and themselves paid by the charity for doing that - than it is about helping others.

It also lets the govt off the hook of their r4esponsibilities to both those in this country and those around the world who are exploited for the benefit of this country.

Imperialism continues at the same pace as it ever did.

Edited by russycarps

I object to chuggers trying to make out you are a bad person because you don't support their charity. I support a lot of charities but I like to research it and make sure the amount of money I have to give is well spent. I also object to charities I do support phoning you and trying to guilt you into giving even more money. It makes me want to think about withdrawing all support for that charity and choosing another one instead.

I do think a lot of charities are very wasteful with resources. Once I do support a charity I would rather they give my money to the good works that I want to happen rather than sending me mailshots etc.

I had some earnest student gimp try badger me into joining Amnesty International a few years back.

Mate. That's the organisation that refused to oppose the Iraq war because that would be "political"? A holocaust of our time of our making because it would be "political"?

Chugger: But AI is about human rights not politics.

Right. And every political prisoner in Latin America was there because of politics. The point is with violent regimes - be it Chilian or British - politics and human rights conflict. AI is supposed to ignore the bleats of the regimes and defend those states commit outrageous violence on. AI does so very effectively when the regimes are brown-skinned, and - it seems - much less so when the regimes are Caucasian. The odd moan about the US penitentiary system, but that's about it.

Chugger: <long pause>. <very long pause> I like your hat.

In fairness, I was wearing a really spiffing festival hat.

I had some earnest student gimp try badger me into joining Amnesty International a few years back.

Mate. That's the organisation that refused to oppose the Iraq war because that would be "political"? A holocaust of our time of our making because it would be "political"?

Chugger: But AI is about human rights not politics.

Right. And every political prisoner in Latin America was there because of politics. The point is with violent regimes - be it Chilian or British - politics and human rights conflict. AI is supposed to ignore the bleats of the regimes and defend those states commit outrageous violence on. AI does so very effectively when the regimes are brown-skinned, and - it seems - much less so when the regimes are Caucasian. The odd moan about the US penitentiary system, but that's about it.

Chugger: <long pause>. <very long pause> I like your hat.

In fairness, I was wearing a really spiffing festival hat.

Get back to me after considering this.

02(1).jpg

Read up on Fallujah birth defects and DU.

It's exactly like a rape crisis charity actively and intentionally refusing to council black victims of rape but people apologising for that organisation by saying "well, at least they do good because they help white women".