Latitude 2014

Gingerbond

Friday -

Obelisk: Bombay Bicycle Club / Jake Bugg / Editors / Frightened Rabbit

6Music: Modest Mouse / Chelsea Light Moving / Los Campesinos!

Saturday -

Obelisk: Pixies / Neutral Milk Hotel / Dinosaur Jr. / Art Brut

6Music: Disclosure / James Blake / Chvrches

Sunday -

Obelisk: The Flaming Lips / Rudimental / Broken Social Scene / The Polyphonic Spree

6Music: Haim / Savages / Daughter

Half guessing, half wishing. Definitely wanting to go back this year after failing to get Glastonbury tickets on Sunday. :(

Two words;

Avocado, Baby

Magnificent, is it not?

What is this festival like? Fancy trying some new ones next year! Been to V, Reading regular, T in the park, oxegen, sonisphere etc..

What is it in comparision and is their late night, how late and what is the atompshere like, how is the campsite for noise and the people, just general things?

Thanks

Edited by Gazsimmo1980

Don't know what I was trying to if there. Just to say Latitude is a lovely festival. Pleasant atmosphere, nice people, lot of families. There is quite a bit going on through the early hours, though I've never experienced this as we take our little girl, also don't know much about the regular camping area as we stay in the family field. It's nothing like reading/Leeds, if anything it's got more of a hippie/glastonbury kind of vibe to it but with middle class families partaking in falafel and yoga. We like it anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. I have never been to Latitude before. I am a dedicated Glastonbury goer. I am no snob to other festivals... i just usually spend all my cash at Glastonbury. However this year, for the first time in decades, i failed to get tickets.

So.... I want to try a decent creative, artistic festival and i've been told Latitude fits the bill.

Just one question... are there any late night or 24 hour stages/tents/bars etc?

Hi guys. I have never been to Latitude before. I am a dedicated Glastonbury goer. I am no snob to other festivals... i just usually spend all my cash at Glastonbury. However this year, for the first time in decades, i failed to get tickets.

So.... I want to try a decent creative, artistic festival and i've been told Latitude fits the bill.

Non-music wise, the literary, poetry and cabaret go on till 2am. In the arena, the Lake Stage and Comedy have late night DJs till 2, with some stalls having sound systems as well.

The main late night music area is 'In the Woods', in Glasto terms it's a more wooded version of Glade. Two stages that go on till 0300. Looking at my '12 programme the acts include Dermot O'Leary's indie disco, The Heatwave, Fat Camp, 2morrorws Victory, Goldierocks, Mosca, Norman Jay. After 0300 everyone gets swept out of the arena, there's no organised entertainment after that but the shops etc are open.

Edited by tillyandthewall

i'm enjoying bombay bicycle club's new song (carry me) with a new album next year, what are the chances of them headlining, they'd surely provide a lot of appeal to the younger masses in a similar way to foals last year?

they're not as big as bloc party/foals/kraftwerk. you're looking at subs.. at most. though i feel they're the wrong vibe for late night mainstage but what do i know

BBC are either a weak headliner or strong sub, and on the subject of boring acts that might be playing; James Blake winning the Who's Record Label Is Best At Wooing Bedwetter Judges Prize Mercury Prize puts him in with a good chance of subbing, I'd say.

I've lately been doing lots of sighing over the fact that the Weezer cruise is happening, but there's no way in the world I can ever go on it (The Cribs, Weezer and boats are my top 3 favourite things in the world). So I'm thinking, what if Weezer were to headline with Wakefield's finest subbing? Or, more realistically, The Cribs headline and Modest Mouse sub? That is if the Mouse can be trusted to actually show up.

That Weezer cruise does look pretty darn good, and I too would like to see them at Latitude, and The Cribs again for that matter. Would the festival book Modest Mouse again after last year? I suppose if they really really promised...

Not sure we will be returning next year anyway, last year was our 3rd and it was perfect so thinking of trying elsewhere, though I have already booked the days off work, just in case we change our minds.

• 2 weeks later...

Just announced on the Latitude facebook page there will be an announcement in December.

Would like to see a few of these on the line-up : Julian Casablancas (The Strokes in an ideal world haha), Portishead, PJ Harvey, Neutral Milk Hotel, Bombay Bicycle Club, Mystery Jets, Everything Everything, Animal Collective, Bjork, The Flaming Lips, Weezer, Pixies, Chvrches, Belle and Sebastien, Phoenix, Darwin Deez, The Horrors, Chromatics, She & Him, The Staves, Jessie Ware, MGMT, Tame Impala, Local Natives, Wolf Alice, Lucy Rose, Flying Lotus, Jack White, Grimes, Laura Marling, Django Django, Atoms for Peace, Foxygen, Bright Eyes, M.Ward, Bat For Lashes, Peace, Dinosaur Jr., Modest Mouse, London Grammar, Haim, Savages

Would love to see a good 5-10 of these acts on the line-up

there is no demand { well demand to make it worthwhile } to have any bars open 24 hour and even at Glastonbury when the WBC did keep a few bars open 24 hours per day one year as a experiment it was a complete failure where there was more staff than Customers.
Bars at Latitude does create extra problems as there is no handy access routes that can be used so even if there was demand we just could not keep the bars stocked correctly so it will never happen at Latitude.{ Bars are far smaller than what they are at Glastonbury on request of the Promoter so the stock area is also far smaller }
The Late night area is ' In The Woods ' and there is two late night bars there and a Disco.
Its the jewel in the crown and each year it gets busier and busier.
When Latitude started in 2006 I am sure that many did not have a clue that it was there.

thinking of this for glasto alternative..sob, is there any late night stuff to do? any good? also, anyway of sneaking in alcohol? i know they search bags...

The queue on the left are trying to enter the main area and that is where all the searches are made
Crew have a seperate entrance so I have never walked though it but I have walked past it and they do appear to inspect all the bags - I am sure that some people will get some things though but there is no way that anyone can get much in { if you are a beer drinker }
opened plastic drinks bottles or drinks bottles over 500ml in size will not be allowed into the main area.

2012-wbc-49.jpg

The queue on the left are trying to enter the main area and that is where all the searches are made
Crew have a seperate entrance so I have never walked though it but I have walked past it and they do appear to inspect all the bags - I am sure that some people will get some things though but there is no way that anyone can get much in { if you are a beer drinker }
opened plastic drinks bottles or drinks bottles over 500ml in size will not be allowed into the main area.

2012-wbc-49.jpg

hmmm, cheers for that...might try sneaking in some spirits somehow(not sure how yet!)

hmmm, cheers for that...might try sneaking in some spirits somehow(not sure how yet!)

I am sure some people do it - you cant see it in the image but under the tent its like ' Custom Control ' with long tables - I think they filter people so people with bags are in one queue and the ones without bags go though a quicker queue - they are checking wrist bands and bags but as I have never walked though it I don't know if they search pockets.
I was pulled up for carrying in a bottle of Coke that was open but seeing the whole point is to stop people smuggling in drinks and as I work for the Bar Operators there would be no reason for me to smuggle in alcohol - I told him to call his supervisor and when he spotted my WBC id I was let in with a open bottle of Coke - I am sure he was new and I don't think the penny had dropped that he was at a Crew gate.

I walked through bagless in 2012 with loads of stuff, never once searched. I got through with 8 cans of beer one day; one in each welly, one in each raincoat pocked and 4 in my hood, I got pulled up for walking about the arena with a can, the girl just gave me a paper cup, told me to decant what would fit and down the rest, she binned the empty can. This year they seemed much more zealous, one of them even made me turn out the pockets of my jeans because they'd spotted the bumps from my phone and wallet, I understand it's well within their interests to keep people's own booze out for a number of reasons, but the checks seemed way too thorough and was making it too much of a task to get into the arena (or maybe it was just the juxtaposition with the free-roaming Glastonbury a couple of weeks earlier). I did manage to get two cans in one morning, I wore flip flops down there and took a pair of trainers in my bag to change into for watching the bands, one can in each trainer, but unlike 2012 I could afford to actually buy stuff at the festival so I only did it once and just used the bars for the rest of the weekend.