2014!

Guest Flaminglippy

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope this is a joke - I think the festival needs to be kept in Cumbria, Barrow is the arse end of no where and a pain to get to (and it's not really Cumbria). The festival has found it's home in Lowther, the setting is brilliant and the potential to grow is there, this year has set the bar! roll on next year!

Any further news on dates. I`m not on the face book. Think I owe a few beers after my useless 2013 predictions. Double or quits anyone ? Was singing the praises of KC to a few mates at Wickerman and I know a few would consider the double.

Edited by comfortablynumb1910

Latest I heard it seemed as though it'd be wickerman around 25th July and then KC theweekend after at the start of august. The double is definately the thinking over here, enjoyed it last time and we'll be staying 15 miles from wickerman at the mother in laws cottage around that time

Stovies are not bapable. And I ate some stovies at a Wickerman a few years back and they were foul. On the other hand I had a pulled pork sarnie at Kendal and it was fantastic.

Wickerman, like Rockness and T-in the-Park, is not a festival. It's a pretty good for a soulless, corporate, shyster gig-in-a-field. But it is not a festival.

It might have changed, but Wickerman used to prevent people having access to clean, fresh, drinking water in the festival. The result (as obsreved when a friend went to A&E with a sprained ankle) was the local A&E wards full of teenagers on E with severe dehydration.

So yeah. Crap stovies are the least of Wickerman's problems.

Stovies are not bapable. And I ate some stovies at a Wickerman a few years back and they were foul. On the other hand I had a pulled pork sarnie at Kendal and it was fantastic.

Wickerman, like Rockness and T-in the-Park, is not a festival. It's a pretty good for a soulless, corporate, shyster gig-in-a-field. But it is not a festival.

It might have changed, but Wickerman used to prevent people having access to clean, fresh, drinking water in the festival. The result (as obsreved when a friend went to A&E with a sprained ankle) was the local A&E wards full of teenagers on E with severe dehydration.

So yeah. Crap stovies are the least of Wickerman's problems.

You have me wrong, when I was there (I gate-crashed twice and performed once) there was water in the camping site. That's fine.

There were no taps in the "Festival" itself.

That's dangerous. As in "as dangerous to the lives of young people as the Green Rolex dealers" type dangerous. And they do it because they want the bottled water bar fees. Scum. Utter scum. If they've changed taps policy, great. Fantastic. I can put that bugbear to bed. I was there a year almost as warm as this one and it was causing actual harm to young people - as in harm that could easily have been fatal. Harm that was completely invisible to everyone else at Wickerman but came to my attention due to the A&E event. That has made a big impact on me, as you can see.

Again, don't get me wrong. I enjoyed Wickerman, but I enjoyed it as a Gig/Rave not a Festival. It's a party in a field. It's a pretty fucking good party in a field. But a Festival has lots of weird and wonderful things to see and do, oddities left and right. KC overwhelms at this. Wickerman has some tents and some bars and nothing else (unless it has changed). And that's fine for me as I loved the gigs and raved till stupid-o-clock. But I didn't ever feel Festivalised.

Well, okay, they have a huge straw dude they light on fire which I admit is Very Festival.

For almost an hour.

As for lineup, this year is the only year KC has pipped WM. For me, WM has previously been better for acts - and more of them. If it wasn't for their (seemingly unique) policy on the disabled I'd have been there the last two years and this year too if it didn't have a KC clash - so I'm not completely against WM. More of a love/hate with plenty to feed each. The hate I've explained. I've seen some fucking class acts there though, had some fantastic dances, met some great people, met some great women, including a pilled-up horny ex replete with her own supply of old-school poppers. So, as parties go, it's not the worst party in the world... ;-)

I'm glad they have some kids stuff though, obviously that'll make a big difference to you. Probably made it feel more like an Actual Festival.

Edited by viberunner

Fair enough VR. As I said, each to their own. I can assure you 100% that they were giving away bottles of water - the big 2 litre jobs free - and from memory they always do this - in the arena. Pallets of the stuff. In my earlier post I maybe got the wrong end of the stick when I was talking about taps that are all over the camping areas as you know.

Still not getting how you think it is a corporate whore in line with T and Rockness. I`d agree with you on those 2.

Stovies is shit if you try to make it as a meal.

Stovies is amazing if you have a large Sunday family roast (the dinner not the sex act) and have leftover meat & potatoes, because it's nothing more than meat & potatoes leftovers in gravy (and we can all agree leftovers are great, right?).

If it ain't leftovers, it ain't stovies.

Edited by viberunner

So back to a hypothetical question that was asked at some point earlier this year then, what's everyone's opinions of how the festival should move forward, would you be happier to keep the festival the size it is and get similar acts to this year or would you increase capacity by 2 to 3k considering they have a licence for 20k plus on site and try to attract bigger acts with the extra ticket sales revenue ? Considering how empty the quiet and family field was there's always that option plus you never know if there's adjacent field they could use as well for tents.