BBC iPlayer downloading

Guest When Jokers Attack

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have sky tv you can download them on your sky box by connecting an ethernet cable from the sky box to the router and then your on demand is connected to Bbc iplayer.

ps.I might be stating the obvious but its all new to me.

Edited by Thearg

Assuming you are using Linus (would assume Windows is the same).

To search for Glasto stuff type

get_iplayer --type=TV Glastonbury

You'll get a list of shows, each with a number at the beginning, just find the number you want e.g. 302 and type:

get_iplayer --get 302

and you're done (you can put a few numbers in and it'll grab all the shows you want.

Don't forget, you have to delete them after a certain period, because licensing (or something)

Edited by TheNewUnion

Annoyingly using get iplayer I can find everything apart from Nick Cave, which is what I wanted.

Ah, got it using the pid code. Thanks to The NewUnion for the tips with Get Iplayer- have used it before but gave up on it because it is a bit of a faff- but with Radio Downloader gone have to get used to it.

Edited by IBee

just checked the bbc website, when you click on the nick cave link it takes you "http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/ej58q9/acts/ar6wrz#p01c4fml" you should use p01c4fml as the pid number

so you should have "get_iplayer --tvmode=best --pid p01c4fml" IIRC

here is a link about it

http://www.mail-archive.com/get_iplayer@lists.infradead.org/msg04112.html

installed get iplayer yesterday and got about 12g of programmes yesterday. it was pretty easy to install, use the windows installer and launch web pvr manager. takes you to a web page that you can search for programmes, i just put in glastonbury and 106 programmes came up, which is pretty much everything on iplayer site for this year. got everything i wanted, no command line usage or anything, just used default settings.

Ok here is a rough/simple guide to the simplest way of downloading from iplayer. This assumes you are using a windows operating system. There are alternative downloads available for mac/linux and I think it generally works the same way.

Firstly download get_iplayer here:

http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer_win/get_iplayer_setup_latest.exe

Once downloaded run the installer. Generally just click next through the set-up options. The only one you might want to change is the destination folder of the recordings. By default it creates a folder on your desktop. If you want to change this, edit the screen 'choose recording locations'

gp1.png

Change this or leave it as it is. Then just hit install and the program and associated tools are installed. Depending on your connection speed/speed of computer this may take a few minutes while it downloads additional software etc.

gp2.png

Once done hit finish, we are now ready to use the software. Go to your start menu and then programs and you should see a get_ipayer folder, then click on the 'Get_ipayer' icon within that menu as highlighted below:

gp3.png

This will then bring up a command prompt screen. Don't panic it's not overly complex as it might appear. It will grab the latest index of iplayer files and eventually you should just be left with a cursor flashing like so:

gp4.png

Right, so now we want to see what Glastonbury files are available to download so we type the following in the prompt:

get_iplayer -- glastonbury

gp5.png

It is CRUCIAL you type it exactly as above with the underscroll and spaces. If in doubt copy and paste it directly as written above.

Then hit return. What will then happen is a list of results will appear with all iplayer videos/files with Glastonbury in the title. Scroll up the list and find the file you want to download. So lets say we want to download that wonderful set by Portishead:

http://www.whateversleft.co.uk/images/gp6.png

So there it is in the list. What we must do here is take note of that number on the left - in this case 357

Scroll to the bottom of the window again and type in the following

get_iplayer --get 357

Again make sure you observe the spacing and underscroll etc.

Hit return and the file will begin downloading.

http://www.whateversleft.co.uk/images/gp7.png

This downloads the video in MP4 format which most media players etc will happily play. You can then obviously download a converter should you want to change it into another file type (just search mp4 converter and you'll find loads of free tools available)

I hope that is simple enough to understand. Happy downloading...

Good work tumbles, but it's a hell of a lot easier if you launch 'web pvr manager' from the start menue instead of 'get iplayer'

i didn't have to enter any command lines or change any settings (except for destination folder for downloads)

a browser window opens, here's what you get if you put 'glastonbury' in the search window

hfrKjk6.jpg