The Psychedelic Music of Glastonbury

Dave The Hedgehog

I'm not sure how i feel about TWOD, just started to listen to The Horrors since they are supporting Kings of Leon on Saturday at St James' Park. Quite liking The Horrors, they took a step in the complete opposite direction after their first album it would seem.

Took me a while to get into them too but after a few listens Wagonwheel Blues is a excellent album. Kurt Vile was in the band up until that point.

Still an odd booking having them on the Pyramid!

Have yet to listen to the Horrors new album, heard it's good though!

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everybody for the new wave of psych names to look our for. Much appreciated.

No problem scorp!

To those who are interested I found this band from Denmark a few months back and have not stopped listening to them since. They're not playing Glastonbury sadly but just if anyone's interested :)

There's enough reverb laced fuzzy madness to make your insides feel funny!

No problem scorp!

To those who are interested I found this band from Denmark a few months back and have not stopped listening to them since. They're not playing Glastonbury sadly but just if anyone's interested :)

No problem scorp!

Great stuff. Thanks. Has some nice 1960s touches, while being its own thing.

I trust all you psych fanz 'll love one of the best sounds of the sixteez...when i was a teen in love with all things psych, surreal and acid folk rock [and folk rock]. Here it is ... and do carry on watching after song one [White Rabbit, not Somebody To Love]. From 1967 and thereabouts...

Edited by scorp

I trust all you psych fanz 'll love one of the best sounds of the sixteez...when i was a teen in love with all things psych, surreal and acid folk rock [and folk rock]. Here it is:

YES!!! I have a slightly unhealthy (or healthy ;) ) obsession with Grace Slick. 3/5 Of A Mile in 10 Seconds is a personal favourite

No problem scorp!

Was that a good representaion of psych music? I haven't got a clue, but was going to look into this area of music at this years festival. On hearing that though I can see that I may have to look elsewhere for something that raises the hairs on my arms. Thanks for the education though. It's interesting this music malarky. Never understood it until recently.

Was that a good representaion of psych music? I haven't got a clue, but was going to look into this area of music at this years festival. On hearing that though I can see that I may have to look elsewhere for something that raises the hairs on my arms. Thanks for the education though. It's interesting this music malarky. Never understood it until recently.

Depends how you look at it really, me personally I think it covers a huge genre with a lot of branch-offs (garage, neo-psych, space rock, prog, shoegaze, krautrock - to name a few).

Wouldn't say that track is a good representation of overall psych music if I'm honest, more so garage. I just put it there if anybody was interested. 13th Floor Elevators and Syd Barrett era Floyd would be a good starting point with the former being one of the pioneering bands of psychedelic music.

For the music at the festval this year I'd say go for Temples or Toy if your looking to get into it. They're a bit easier to listen to that some of the other names around :)

I really don't like Toy, I think they're incredibly boring and barely psychedelic. They're more of that 90s shoegaze sound with mumbling vocals. Chuck yourself in at the deep end - Pinkanoizu, Syd Arthur, Goat, Dungen, Pond's whackier stuff (new bands) or Can, Soft Machine, Caravan, 13th Floor Elevators, Jefferson Airplane.

When you compare any of those bands to Toy you realise how dull Toy are.

I think I'm going to have to spend the next few days going through the list and listen to some of these bands to do a comprehensive list of psychedelic bands for people to check out. Positive for me to see this thread still around and re-assuring to know there's other fans of the genre out there.

Got bored.

By the way, this list is not representative of what one subjectively calls 'Psychedelic Music' – this is just a list of bands and random other assortments that I, as a fan of Psychedelic Music, would listen to or gravitate to, to feed my head. Man.

Some will definitely not offer you 20-minute drones; others might. Most will almost definitely clash; some will make you think I'm taking the piss.

(Using the Glastonbury 'line-up' page)

Pyramid

The War on Drugs – Friday

Jack White – Saturday

The Black Keys – Sunday

The Other Stage

Haim - Friday

Warpaint – Saturday

Pixies - Saturday

The Horrors – Sunday

Massive Attack – Sunday

West Holts

The London Sinfonietta with Jonny Greenwood – Friday

Sun Ra Arkestra – Friday

Vintage Trouble – Friday

John Wizards – Saturday

Melt Yourself Down – Sunday

The Park Stage

Four Tet – Friday (also in The Beat Hotel on Friday)

Mogwai – Saturday

Anna Calvi – Saturday

Jagwar Ma – Saturday (Also in William's Green on Sunday)

Yoko Ono Plastic Ono Band – Sunday

John Peel Stage

Polica – Friday (Also in William's Green on Friday)

Temples – Friday (Also in William's Green on Saturday)

Drenge – Friday

MGMT – Saturday

Fat White Family – Saturday (Also in William's Green on Friday)

Reignwolf – Saturday

The Black Tambourines – Saturday

The Brian Jonestown Massacre – Sunday

William's Green

Connan Mockasin – Friday

All of Saturday is Psychedelic Music, if not mainly consisting of Psych Rock – can see myself being in there all day

Avalon Stage

Emiliana Torrini – Saturday

Glade

Steve Hillage fuses Gong & System 7 - Friday

Mad Professor ft. General Levy & Joe Ariwa – Friday

Alabama 3 – Friday

Radiophonic Workshop – Saturday

Wow! Stage

East India Youth – Thursday (Also in William's Green on Friday)

The Crow's Nest

Julian Cope – Friday

Speaker's Forum

Legalisation of Cannabis (Green Party Drugs Group) - Thursday

Rupert Sheldrake (Morphic Resonance) - Sunday

Mandala Stage

Interplanetary Liberation Front – Wednesday, Friday & Sunday

Pyramids of Snafu – Thursday, Friday & Sunday

Pilton Palais

Take some mushrooms, watch Gravity 3D on Thursday and The Lego Movie in 3D on Friday

In terms of DJ sets, you've got a litany of people – 808 State in Bez's Acid House on Saturday, Primal Scream doing a DJ set in the Acid Lounge on Saturday, DJ AFX which is rumoured to be Aphex Twin on Friday in The Temple, A Guy Called Gerald on the Hell Stage on Saturday... the list for that is seemingly endless so I won't go on about them. Just have a look and see what floats your boat if Acid House is your thing. Same thing can be said for the vast amount of Reggae going on as well – saw Prince Fatty on the Hell Stage on Saturday.

Some will definitely not offer you 20-minute drones;

Interesting list, but as you say, some of these (that even an ill informed old git such as I recognise) stretch the definition.

Which of these, in your obviously informed view, are 20 minute drones? I love a bit of droning, if I understand the term correectly. If I say that from your list, Steve Hillage and Radiophonic Workshop were already on my very small must see list, you probably know where I'm coming from.

Advice much appreciated

By the way, although unfortunately currently clashing, if things shift about, you may want to check out Bevis Frond

Which of these, in your obviously informed view, are 20 minute drones?

The temptation is to say Julian Cope and listening to him speak but Brian Jonestown Massacre or MGMT could pull a 20-minute drone out of the bag easily enough and nobody would think any different. I found last year the best place to hear a good drone (and I mean a seriously hard drone) was away from all the music in the healing fields. I took part in some Yogic meditation and there was some good throat singing going down; couple of shruti boxes going off somewhere. Nice.

To be fair with this thread, it's discussing Psychedelic Music of Glastonbury as opposed to Psych Rock. 'Psych Rock' itself could be found easily enough in Brian Jonestown Massacre but if you're looking for sound that's quite 'mind expanding', I think that list should suffice. Some bands make careers out of being Retro 60's - get the vintage instruments, make the tie-dyes etc - like The Black Angels or Wooden Shijps (neither on the line-up, unfortunetly) but I don't think that sound should define what 'Psychedelic' is. Some could be controversial looking at bands like Haim or somebody like Four Tet but it's all about the vibe for some bands; Haim, along with Warpaint, play some really pretty and colourful music; like a sort of Southern California Beach Pop - to me they have a 'Psychedelic Sound'; just a brighter one to, say, The Horrors, who are darker, more Suicide-influenced.

The Bevis Frond, I didn't mention directly but they are in William's Green on Saturday; the entire day inside that tent has an amazing line-up and I'm tempted to just hang about there all day. I won't though. Radiphonic Workshop will not be missed.

The temptation is to say Julian Cope

I shall check out Saturday then. Thanks for the tip. If Bevis Frond is in keeping with the general offering, there should be much to be seen - I'm really hoping for a little shuffle as I want to see them but the Workshop is unmissable.

Apart from the obvious, I'm particularly looking forward to "Generic Sci-fi Quarry"

I saw Julian in many guises back in the day and still rate Teardrop Explodes as one of the best live bands I've ever seen. Mad as a box of frogs now, of course, bless him. He was on at Latitude a few years back and after doing maybe two songs max, he started banging this gong. It went on for around half an hour, and he refused to come off. In the end they had to pull the plug on him and drag him off the stage.

fwiw, Temples was described in a newspaper review last week as "one of the best live acts around."

Keep the comments coming. Still on a learning curve, which started in the 60s and is re-igniting. I agree tho that psych covers a bit of a mulitude of sounds and should not just be a 1960s clone

i thought they were kind of terrible when i saw them at latitude last year :/

Saw them on the NME tour and agree.

Also, for anyone who didn't notice, Toy are playing Williams Green (it's on Sat night though so clashing with everything).

Saw them on the NME tour and agree.

Also, for anyone who didn't notice, Toy are playing Williams Green (it's on Sat night though so clashing with everything).

Toy seemed to say on FB a little while ago that they'd be playing elsewhere too: "We'll keep you posted on other Glastonbury performance news."

They'd suit Williams Green on the Thursday but would they do two slots on the same stage?