The Psychedelic Music of Glastonbury

Dave The Hedgehog

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goat were awesome, particularly on the Shangri-La Hell stage - a better setting than West Holts, felt pretty pagan.

Black Angels I found not so good. I always find their sound gets too mushy live, and when I'd seen them before they had a dedicated organist which was absent at Glastonbury, so not very impressed.

Saw Tame Impala again this year. Much improved from when i saw them 2 years ago on Pyramid.

The guys voice is still a touch shaky but the setlist they have now using the two albums + half full glass of wine is much stronger. Having a few more well known tracks like Elephant seems to have helped keep the casual passers by attention to. They had a god slot playing before Alt-J/Foals who im sure may have some fan crossover, and it seemed a big crowd

The whole thing is on the bbc glastonbury section for those who missed it. Brilliant

Didnt catch the others but just watched full Goat set on the highlights, looked great, im off to get the album

i really enjoyed the black angels :)

caught the last chord of toy at the john peel tent, walked out of the crow's nest just before they played on saturday night...

suuns were superb up there on sunday though!

See, I didn't think much of Suuns. Not as aggressive as The Black Angels, not as Dancey as Jagwar Ma, not as Psychedelic as Space Ritual. Was expecting a lot more from them to be honest.

Loved Toy..also enjoyed Space Ritual who played a few Hawkwind songs. Saw a good space rock band called Paradise 9 in the green fields..only about five people in the audience including me and Nik Turner who got on stage to jam with them...awesome!

Edited by angelofharlem

Missed suuns and 90% of Tame Impala but saw TOY, goat, black angels who were all class.

Only criticism was Toy's sound was a bit off I thought, vocals too high in the mix?

Saw goat on the west holts who were quality, shame we never got round to seeing them in shangri la, can't remember who they clashed with. Personally class Portishead as psych as well, know there's another topic on them but they were exceptional

Saw Suuns, Toy and Goat, all of whom were new to me and I enjoyed, but Space Ritual was one of my absolute highlights of the festival. Was worried at one point as Nik Turner looked to be struggling in the heat, but he did a good job of covering it up if he was. Then getting a photo with Andrew Kerr before dashing off through the Glade in time to catch PiL at the Other Stage just rounded it off nicely.

Saw Goat - who were good beyond belief - but Tame Impala's performance was ruined by a terrible man in the audience who just turned on my girlfriend and I. A bully and a twat, luckily the crowd around us rallied and put him in his place - even going so far as to comfort my girlfriend.

Terrible shame, as I was really looking forward to their set, and the parts on which I could focus seemed utterly transcendent. I love what they do with Half Full Glass of Wine.

Thought Black Angels were superb, 4th best set of festival after the classic Portishead, Stones, Nick Cave sets. Truly loved their set, and ran over after to see Tame Impala too, who impressed. But, Black Angles...yes, what a set! they get quite a few mentions on the 'top 5 acts you saw' thread too

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

As elsewhere: It seems the bookers have done nothing to rectify the lack of 'psych' acts on.. Sad to see as there is a whole movement and scene going on out there which is barely covered by the Festival. Only have to look at the thousands flocking to Austin last week for the psych fest to see the world is going on without Glastonbury...some great bands out there absolutely perfect for the vibe of Glastonbury just seem to constantly get overlooked...let's hope the final announcement goes someway towards acknowleding this - failing that I'll offer my input next year to make sure this genre, which is sweeping the world, is properly covered in years to come

Most people on here know that I don't know my arse from my elbow when it comes to music, so don't shoot me down if I've got this wrong - it's just that I happened to stumble across this event at the weekend while innocently searching for something else. Not sure if it's the same type of stuff as the bands you are talking about but thought it worth mentioning in case it was and any of you wanted to go;

http://www.liverpoolpsychfest.com/

I saw Black Angels, Goat, Tame Impala and TOY. Also seen Tame Impala live again in August, they seem to get better and better everytime.

New Brian Jonestown Massacre out next year (the demo version is online now) and a 2014 tour is likely to happen so let's hope we get them back at Glasto

well-called from October

Agreed. Did have Toy and Tame Impala last year

But other than The Possibility of The Horrors and the slightly psych Temples there is as yet very little.