Nick Cave

Midnight Man

Absolutely incredible performance last night. Really, really, good.

Queues to get in were ridiculous though - I get why there's increased security concerns at big venues but it did feel a bit over the top. Its been quicker at the airport!

What a performance last night! Security was a freaking nightmare - took ages to get in but the performance more than made up from it. The tracks from Skeleton Tree were flawless, my hairs were standing on end during I Need You - pure emotion even in that cavernous arena. Absolutely brilliant from beginning to end.

2 minutes ago, zero000 said:

What a performance last night! Security was a freaking nightmare - took ages to get in but the performance more than made up from it. The tracks from Skeleton Tree were flawless, my hairs were standing on end during I Need You - pure emotion even in that cavernous arena. Absolutely brilliant from beginning to end.

Definitely! Covered in goosebumps by the end of Jesus Alone. Absolutely loved Magneto as well, it’s morphed into something completely different from the album, but equally as good! 

Unreal gig. The skeleton tree songs were better than in my wildest dreams. They way they did Magneto was incredible. 

By far the most emotionally charged gig I've ever been to. A lady next to me was in floods of tears at girl in amber, I need you and distant sky. It took all I had not to join them. Spine tingling stuff.

Usually I'd moan that all the older songs they did were just the usual "greatest hits" but not this time. Fan-favourite rareties would have been out of place at that gig. The classics united the crowd I think, and the whole thing ended up being a majestic, triumphant uplifting experience.

I will never ever forget that gig.

I had to laugh at how baked bobby gillespie looked though. Absolutely fried.

• Upvote 2

Apart from screens behind the band, did the bigger venues also have other screens showing Nicks interaction with the audience?

At Bournemouth which only holds about 6000 and seems wider than it is longer as far as i remember apart from a close up black and white video of Nick near the beginning and some of the encore there were no other live videos so it was impossible for a lot of us to see what Nick was up to. ( We were standing about 20 rows back, but to the side of the stage)

It didn't bother me too much as to me concerts are 90% about the music, but i feel we might have missed out on some of the magic by not being quite as involved as in the larger venues if there was live video of Nick.  

Still a stunning show which i am still thinking and talking about more than a week later and straight to the top of my all time arena shows ever.

34 minutes ago, tjamest said:

Apart from screens behind the band, did the bigger venues also have other screens showing Nicks interaction with the audience?

At Bournemouth which only holds about 6000 and seems wider than it is longer as far as i remember apart from a close up black and white video of Nick near the beginning and some of the encore there were no other live videos so it was impossible for a lot of us to see what Nick was up to. ( We were standing about 20 rows back, but to the side of the stage)

It didn't bother me too much as to me concerts are 90% about the music, but i feel we might have missed out on some of the magic by not being quite as involved as in the larger venues if there was live video of Nick.  

Still a stunning show which i am still thinking and talking about more than a week later and straight to the top of my all time arena shows ever.

100% agree with all of this. Including the Gillespie comment! 

Who'd have thought we'd enjoy the Bad Seeds in such a venue so much? They really are the best band in the world.

1 hour ago, tjamest said:

Nottingham had 4 screens, 1 either side of the stage, 1 behind and 1 toward the back of the arena. Nothing on them for about the first half of the performance and then alternated between showing the band live and showing videos/backdrops associated with Skeleton Tree.

At the O2 we had screens at the side and back which were showing Nick (and occasionally the band when he was on stage) throughout.

I enjoyed this gig but not as much as anyone else it seems :( Huge queues meant I missed the first song and was near the back, and found it a bit dead and not particularly reverent for the newer quieter songs. We managed to move forward in the encore when there was that massive crowd surge and that made it a bit better, but still not the best gig I've seen.

2 minutes ago, evilduck said:

At the O2 we had screens at the side and back which were showing Nick (and occasionally the band when he was on stage) throughout.

I enjoyed this gig but not as much as anyone else it seems :( Huge queues meant I missed the first song and was near the back, and found it a bit dead and not particularly reverent for the newer quieter songs. We managed to move forward in the encore when there was that massive crowd surge and that made it a bit better, but still not the best gig I've seen.

ahhh this makes me sad to read :( 

I hear you though, when I went to the bar (sacrificed red right hand for red wine) I did notice that people didnt seem to be paying much attention. 

The is useless for you now, but you can walk right down to the front at the o2 from the side and just cut in. If there were just a couple of you you could have easily done it...

5 hours ago, russycarps said:

Unreal gig. The skeleton tree songs were better than in my wildest dreams. They way they did Magneto was incredible. 

By far the most emotionally charged gig I've ever been to. A lady next to me was in floods of tears at girl in amber, I need you and distant sky. It took all I had not to join them. Spine tingling stuff.

Usually I'd moan that all the older songs they did were just the usual "greatest hits" but not this time. Fan-favourite rareties would have been out of place at that gig. The classics united the crowd I think, and the whole thing ended up being a majestic, triumphant uplifting experience.

God, Distant Sky was ridiculous. I was almost in tears at it. I Need You was amazing too but I was too busy belting it out to be think about crying.

35 minutes ago, evilduck said:

Yeah I was similar. Got in just before he came on and was near the back until Stagger Lee. Was behind three nobheads who wouldn't stop talking through the first few songs and were even taking the piss out of a guy a bit in front of them because he was getting into the music. Were all middle aged men, too. Middle aged men taking the piss out of a guy for being into a gig just because they wanted to stand and chat through if all. Why fucking go to the gig? They didn't even seem to care when he played the hits.

But even still, best gig I've ever been to. He was already probably the best artist I'd ever seen but that was insane.

1 hour ago, Will-2609 said:

Was behind three nobheads who wouldn't stop talking through the first few songs and were even taking the piss out of a guy a bit in front of them because he was getting into the music. Were all middle aged men, too. Middle aged men taking the piss out of a guy for being into a gig just because they wanted to stand and chat through if all. Why fucking go to the gig? They didn't even seem to care when he played the hits.

c**ts

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, evilduck said:

Bit late now I guess but I found it was quite easy to get further forward by going down the sides. I popped out for a pint twice during the set and got back in that way - it was the usual problem of people crowding round the edges and staying there motionless instead of moving into the space - you just had to push through it a bit and then it was fine.

11 hours ago, russycarps said:

Totally agree about Magneto! I’ve been trying to find footage of it from London but have only managed to find this snippet..

https://instagram.com/p/BZt3Tefl96s/

13 hours ago, tjamest said:

Possibly replying to Russy's post not mine?

Yes I was sorry haha!

We didn't actually leave our spot as it was quite decent, but reassuring to hear from others it was possible to get back in okay. I sort of wanted another drink but don't think I could have bared to miss anything. Red Right Hand was surprisingly awesome (I do love it but feel it's overplayed somewhat).

'Last year, the mass of departures by so many of the musical 'greats' left something of a question as to who might fill the gaps they left behind, and the gaps that will continue to appear as time wears on. Nick Cave seems a good fit. The consistent brilliance of his discography – only Nocturama borders on the average – has been noted by many, but as he continues to produce such diverse, forward-thinking records as Skeleton Tree and Push The Sky Away so deep into his career, perhaps it's time for the name Nick Cave to be uttered in the same breath as Messrs Cohen, Bowie et al.'

It's a fair comment. From The Quietus review of the London show.

46 minutes ago, priest17 said:

'Last year, the mass of departures by so many of the musical 'greats' left something of a question as to who might fill the gaps they left behind, and the gaps that will continue to appear as time wears on. Nick Cave seems a good fit. The consistent brilliance of his discography – only Nocturama borders on the average – has been noted by many, but as he continues to produce such diverse, forward-thinking records as Skeleton Tree and Push The Sky Away so deep into his career, perhaps it's time for the name Nick Cave to be uttered in the same breath as Messrs Cohen, Bowie et al.'

It's a fair comment. From The Quietus review of the London show.

Good article. One niggle though. It implies he was offstage for anthrocene before making his entrance for jesus alone, which is clearly bollocks. 

They are right to highlight jubilee street. You could easily make a case for it being the greatest ever bad seeds song. Amazing, considering it came along so late in their career.

As for comparisons with cohen and bowie, lyrically he'll never touch cohen - no one can imo - but in every other regard he surpasses him I think. Especially consistency. Cohen did put out his fair share of dud music, something nick cave has never done.

Comparisons with bowie is a harder thing to judge as they are just so completely different. He'll never be a superstar like bowie because nick cave is far more niche and his charisma is very different to bowies charisma. Bowie appealed to all, but there are plenty of people who will think nick cave is just too weird. Plus he lacks the wide range of music bowie put out - bowie has a song for literally everyone.

So yeah, he is comfortably ranked alongside cohen for me, but lacks the broad appeal that elevates him to bowie level.

Now if you could choose to go to a gig from just one of those three artists at the top of their game and handpick the setlist who would you pick? Probably bowie for me........followed by cave then cohen.

But then if I rank their 3 best glastobury appearances I'd say bowie, then cohen then cave (2013). That was tough though.

Was cave at the o2 better than cohen at the o2....argh I'd have to say cave edges it...

Nick cave and the bad seeds are by far the best band around still putting out music though. By far.

Edited by russycarps
  • Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Good article. One niggle though. It implies he was offstage for anthrocene before making his entrance for jesus alone, which is clearly bollocks. 

They are right to highlight jubilee street. You could easily make a case for it being the greatest ever bad seeds song. Amazing, considering it came along so late in their career.

As for comparisons with cohen and bowie, lyrically he'll never touch cohen - no one can imo - but in every other regard he surpasses him I think. Especially consistency. Cohen did put out his fair share of dud music, something nick cave has never done.

Comparisons with bowie is a harder thing to judge as they are just so completely different. He'll never be a superstar like bowie because nick cave is far more niche and his charisma is very different to bowies charisma. Bowie appealed to all, but there are plenty of people who will think nick cave is just too weird. Plus he lacks the wide range of music bowie put out - bowie has a song for literally everyone.

So yeah, he is comfortably ranked alongside cohen for me, but lacks the broad appeal that elevates him to bowie level.

Now if you could choose to go to a gig from just one of those three artists at the top of their game and handpick the setlist who would you pick? Probably bowie for me........followed by cave then cohen.

But then if I rank their 3 best glastobury appearances I'd say bowie, then cohen then cave (2013). That was tough though.

Was cave at the o2 better than cohen at the o2....argh I'd have to say cave edges it...

Nick cave and the bad seeds are by far the best band around still putting out music though. By far.

I noticed that, I was at the Manchester show though so just assumed it was different daan saaath. Jubilee Street was my personal highlight, watching him run about, lobbing the Mic around was glorious, he didn't make the venue feel smaller he rose to the challenge and made himself massive (albeit not as big as the GIANT projection of the distant sky woman).

Tough comparison, I'd put Cave above Cohen in terms of personal enjoyment and I agree with you about consistency. Bowie had so many personas it's hard to compare them all with any one act.

With the Glastonbury sets you'd imagine that Cave was battling more non-fans, he doesn't even really have a few 'oh this is his song?' hits either, besides Red Right Hand which is now known from a tv series I don't know. 

If he had, say, 5 well known hits he'd headline Glastonbury, a bit like Radiohead this year. I think he could do it now but they seem to like pleasing the normies. He's gotta headline one of the stages at the very least next time...

they were incredible. got there for doors and was right down the front which was so worth it, it's my first time seeing them so I didn't know he'd interact with the crowd that much. Like others have said, I loved the new songs (especially distant sky and skeleton tree to close out the main set) and the rest of the set list was perfectly judged for the arena. absolutely one of my favourite ever gigs, I'm glad most others seem to agree. I doubt it will happen but I really think he could pull of a pyramid headline slot. 

Cave will never headline the Pyramid stage, sadly. All we can hope is that they offer him his Sunday sub-headliner slot next time he's touring, and they accept it.

You'd imagine The Bad Seeds will be done touring by the time the next festival comes along. Maybe one for 2020?

On 01/10/2017 at 7:53 PM, Jobseeker said:

Definitely! Covered in goosebumps by the end of Jesus Alone. Absolutely loved Magneto as well, it’s morphed into something completely different from the album, but equally as good! 

Glad u got to it and had a great night sounds epic