Nick Cave

Midnight Man

I just had a little look on the preview and it does say "I am the black crow king, keeper of the forgotten POPCORN" and "the face of Jesus in my SOUP" so there is a bit of it there.

Looking at the Morrissey one, they have "the boy with the CORN in his side" and "PEAS let me get what I want" and then not a lot else. They out there doing the least.

You are in for a treat. Just back from Bournemouth. Similar setlist to rest of tour. Came on at 8.30 to 10.15 then encore until 10.40. Nick on fine form, even invited people on stage for hugs. Band was superb, crowd respectful during quiet numbers, lots of goosepimple moments from Skeleton tree, an explosive Red right hand, a hundred or so punters on stage for Stagger lee.

As a casual Nick Cave fan i hadn't realised  how much time that Nick spent  singing to the front few rows which was great for them but not that inclusive for the rest of the hall, however that is only minor point and all in all a great gig like no other.

Edited by tjamest

4 minutes ago, loulouboo said:

There was a stage invasion for Stagger Lee last night... I've said to my mate he has to give me a bunk up to get onto the 02 stage. 

Not quite an invasion, more of an informal invitation. Nick was talking to someone in the crowd then invited him up for a hug. After that he said that he was happy to hug anyone and although they were not meant to encourage fans on stage if anyone wanted to come up no one was going to stop them. I was too far away, but probably about 50 to 100 joined them on stage for both Stagger Lee and Push The sky away. Awesome stuff

Bournemouth was easy as there was only a tiny gap from the barrier to the stage, not sure how easy it will be in the bigger venues

Louder than war's review of last night in Bournemouth

Live Review, Sunday 24th September 2017

Nick Cave Bournemouth

Love Nick Cave, all there is.

Live in Bournemouth, Dorset, the first date of Nick Cave and The Bad seeds European tour and what a triumphant evening it was. There is a real passion from Nick Cave to be performing these songs live, a love reflected back by the audience.

Tonight the room really listened deeply, with many quiet, almost silent moments. Lyrics delivered as a whisper and the audience all ears for every breath from Cave’s lips, escalating and intensifying into a wall of noise in the blink of an eye.

The set begins with ‘Anthrocene’, the first of several songs from the Skeleton Tree album. A mixture of new and old songs sitting alongside each other seamlessly from throughout the Bad seeds many albums and incarnations.

This version of The Bad Seeds is really strong, with their own distinct style, very different from the last time I saw them on the 19th & 20th May 1997. A great deal has changed since then but many things remain constant. Classic songs like Tupelo, The Ship Song, The Mercy Seat and From Her To Eternity, all of which have evolved beautifully while losing none of their magic. Each of these songs more tender and violent in equal measure. The sonic tonight ranges from full on screaming, loss and pain contrasted with sensitivity and control. These renditions are breathtaking in their power.

Into My Arms featured bass and drums accompaniment, retaining the feel of the album original. Red Right Hand a grooving and intense retelling of a Cave classic.

Distant Sky and Skeleton Key set close the set proper. A mature Cave here with real sophistication and class, with a palpable love in the room for Nick and this moment in time.Nick Cave

After a short break, in which the cheering, Stomping and clapping resulted in a genuinely earned encore. The Weeping Song with an element of clap along audience participation from an ecstatic crowd, a fantastic song sounding as fresh as ever. Then a hug on stage between Nick and a guy from the audience escalated somewhat. Nick saying that although security advised against getting people up on stage he wouldn’t stop it from happening. Next there was a very peaceful but plentiful stage invasion. A crowd of people up onstage in front of the band with Nick prowling from one side to the other of the stage at the very front, occasionally launching himself into the front row while singing Stagger Lee. This rendition of Stagger Lee was brilliantly chaotic and celebratory, set against the dark comedic horror of the lyrics.

Nick asked the crowd onstage to sit down, and the final song of the evening began with Push The Sky Away. This was the perfect ending to a celebration of the music and song writing of Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, a band as unique and genuinely exciting, as you are ever likely to see.

Just got home, wow. There's no way that guy's 60. Was expecting him to be amazing but I was surprised how glad I am that it was in the arena, expected it to feel a bit dead but man he commanded the whole venue, thought the new songs sounded great in there as well, his voice filled it even with a whisper. 0 complaints. Lotta love. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

By some margin the best gig I've seen this year. So powerful and dark, and a refreshing change in style and presentation for an arena concert. I really didn't appreciate Nick Cave was this good. Absolutely no weaker moments.

Awesome to hear so many positive reactions to this tour.  I was worried about him palying the o2 but now I am anticipating it eagerly.  Roll on the weekend

1 minute ago, Maurice Mecca said:

Awesome to hear so many positive reactions to this tour.  I was worried about him palying the o2 but now I am anticipating it eagerly.  Roll on the weekend

This 100%. Making me very excited! How big was the venue he played last night in comparison? Must be smaller than the O2 I guess, but still big?

5 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

This 100%. Making me very excited! How big was the venue he played last night in comparison? Must be smaller than the O2 I guess, but still big?

They are very similar in size, however Manchester wasn't sold out, a good chunk of the upper tier was curtained off

7 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Manchester Arena is actually bigger (biggest indoor in UK iirc) but as I've just been beaten to say it wasn't fully sold out.