Nick Cave

Midnight Man

7 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

It'd be criminal if there wasn't. 

A bit of me is not sure if there will be, you know. I don't know if he'd want a permanent record of it going out. Could be talking out of my arse mind.

Album is beautiful, though. I do concur with all of the above, particularly about "I Need You". 

Just now, Scruffylovemonster said:

I'm purposefully not including any of the new album in any of my lists. It's still too raw. In the last week alone I've changed my mind several times on the best tracks on the album never mind where they fit in the rest of the cannon. Currently skeleton tree and anthrocene are my favourite two but that'll no doubt change tomorrow.

Yeah, this is probably fair. But right now it's up there. 

32 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

It was zmg in her previous incarnation posting a link to oh my Lord that convinced me to get nmswp in my early cave days. I was originally a little underwhelmed like you but it's a grower over time. As well as oh my lord, hallelujah, 15 ft, I sat sadly and the sorrowful wife are all belters. I think you just let your hatred of love letter overshadow the whole album. 

Hallelujah is up there as one of my favourite cave songs. 

ha you're probably right about love letter...

god is in the house is another goodun.

I definitely dont think it's a bad album, but it's just that whatever my mood there is another cave album that I would turn to. If I want a slow one I'd go for boatman and now skeleton tree before NMSWP.

17 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I'm purposefully not including any of the new album in any of my lists. It's still too raw. In the last week alone I've changed my mind several times on the best tracks on the album never mind where they fit in the rest of the cannon. Currently skeleton tree and anthrocene are my favourite two but that'll no doubt change tomorrow.

good point actually. It will be very hard to place. I do think it is an album that wont dimish over time though. Unlike the new radiohead one, which after my initial enjoyment has really plummeted.

5 minutes ago, russycarps said:

good point actually. It will be very hard to place. I do think it is an album that wont dimish over time though. Unlike the new radiohead one, which after my initial enjoyment has really plummeted.

Need to give the Radiohead album another go actually. Loved it at the time but kind of forgot about it. Struggling to listen to anything but ST at the moment.

Magneto too. Hell of a song. That kind of sinister "vwoom" noise behind the music and the delicate piano and the "I love you love..." refrain. It's up there for me. "Come as far as the edge of my blood and then swim". FUCK. Some of my favourite lyrics on the album I think. Some of the rawest. "And all through the house we hear the hyena's hymns" "all the stars splashed and splattered across the ceiling"

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

Just now, Scruffylovemonster said:

See god is in the house is my love letter. Probably cop he always plays it when I see him!

I used to think exactly the same and use the boatman analogy but I've now realised it's not in the same mould. It's not a slow sparse one it's more atmospheric. Like the slower songs on abattoir blues. It's the first one where you can see Warren's violin becoming a lot more prominent. 

One of the reasons I love it. That violin, man. Texturally there's a lot more going on in NMSWP than in TBC, which I do love. 

No love for murder ballads on here? Its the first album of his I heard I still love it, Death Is Not The End is such a good album closer, would be a nice set closer for a skeleton tree tour if he felt up to it. Nocturama is probably my least favorite but contains the song with one of my favorite music videos of all time

Murder Ballads is my least favourite album, with the proviso that like all his albums it's still good. Stagger Lee and Death Is Not The End the obvious highlights.

I actually love Nocturama and would rate it higher than some of the older stuff, but I think I'm fairly alone in that... that video is a classic.

32 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Bloody love murder ballads. Great album. Can live without a lot of his earlier stuff, don't really like a lot of his more goth work. The Birthday Party etc do nothing for me, i'm afraid.

my least favourite album, where as i loved Birthday Party but then I was a Cave loving goth in the 80s. I've been revisting Abattoir Blues / The Lyre of Orpheus and it's currently up there with Henry's Dream

/me goes to sit in the corner

Edited by 5co77ie