Nick Cave

Midnight Man

the reason I ended up going up to Glasgow is i'm at sister in laws wedding tonight so couldn't do Newcastle.

Thanks anyway mate and hope you found them a home

That is inconsiderate wedding planning! No-one took them in the end which is a shame.

Just had a look at the setlist too, wish I hadn't, it looks amazing.

In the excitement of booking tickets last October for RAH on Sunday, I stupidly also booked x2 parking tickets (Imperial College car park). Happy to post one of these (no charge for ticket or stamp) if anyone wants it. Please PM me before lunchtime tomorrow and hopefully you will get it on Saturday.

So looking forward to this - I have looked at the setlists - couldn't resist!

Sorry Mr Carps, I adore Love Letter - but I think I know where you are coming from. My greatest fear is that it may be picked up as an X Factor final song and reduced/changed to the cheesiest ballad ever!

I'm not a fan of his but is the film any good?

I liked it as a verbal (part fictional) autobiography, with a live Higgs Bosun Blues thrown in, but different from gigs, obvs.

Sensational gig! A couple of songs I'd never seen live before. Lovely stuff.

The push the sky away songs go from strength to strength.

There was some great audience interaction. One person requested a song (I didn't catch what it was) and Nick said 'we're not playing that one so if you're waiting for just that song you may as well fuck off now'. I guess you had to be there...

Obviously the set included the lousy love letter but I am at peace with the fact I am going to see it every fucking gig now.

Up jumped the devil was a nice surprise and the cover of avalanche was great, but not a patch on cohens of course.

Never been a fan of lyre of orpheus but it was enjoyable enough.

Highlights for me were probably higgs, jubilee street, a lovely version of the ship song and a brilliant tupelo.

The band were on tremendous form too.

10/10 gig.

You could buy a live CD of the gig straight afterwards, for £20(!) which I haven't listened to yet. Was this available at the other gigs?

Edited by russycarps

Fucking hell that was a good gig. Don't often enjoy his gigs so much seated and was up in the very gods at the royal Albert Hall but that was right up there. Perfect set list and he had us in the palm of his hands :)

far more raucous numbers with a band then I'd expected. From her to eternity was immense. Higgs a clear highlight. no more Shall we Part a lovely treat. And up jumped the devil! Always wanted that.

Tremendous stuff. I'd missed him.

Can't believe you lucky gets got stranger than kindness and no more shall we part.

Still i got I let love in which was ace. Was surprised at brompton oratory too. Up jumped the devil was out of this world.

I'd trade no more shall we part for I let love in (though it was ace). I thought brompton was one of the weaker songs, along with the weeping song...

Very much enjoyed here too, the man is amazing (& Warren Ellis isn't far behind).

Russy, I bloody love Love Letter, and following it with Into My Arms was perfect (amongst the band epics of course). The "not playing that" comment was for Stagger Lee. I liked the shout for Higgs Boson Blues and the response "We've played that and we're not about to play it again!" Also the "man in the beard" reference getting a spotlight up on... the drummer, doh.

Thought the crowd were suitably adoring but pretty weak for being unable to sing along to Lyre at the end.

ZMG, thought that might have been you as one of the two women completely into it front row far left!

Very much enjoyed here too, the man is amazing (& Warren Ellis isn't far behind).

Russy, I bloody love Love Letter, and following it with Into My Arms was perfect (amongst the band epics of course). The "not playing that" comment was for Stagger Lee. I liked the shout for Higgs Boson Blues and the response "We've played that and we're not about to play it again!" Also the "man in the beard" reference getting a spotlight up on... the drummer, doh.

Thought the crowd were suitably adoring but pretty weak for being unable to sing along to Lyre at the end.

ZMG, thought that might have been you as one of the two women completely into it front row far left!

Damn you sir robin it's because of people like you that it gets played so often! :D

ah it was stagger lee, that makes sense. Did you see the woman fall off the stage, of the 3 who went up for higgs? I thought that was more likely to be zmg...

At one of the Apollo videos, some people in the crowd screamed for 'Lay Me Low'. I love that song. Than Nick acknowledged it, went 'Lay Me Low?', stopped for a minute, and proceeded to play something else. Would have been devastated if I was there... that song would be brilliant.

Anyway, I gave up my Apollo tickets to go to Primavera, somewhat relieved I didn't miss 'Lay Me Low' or 'Nobody's Baby Now'... and also the game I was supposed to go to (Spurs vs Man City) ended in a 1-0 loss :(. So I think it was a good decision.

Of course the gig was brilliant, Nick's gigs always are, but I've already seen most of these songs (in full band versions). Definitely envy 'Stranger than Kindness' though.

I heard he once said Nobody's Baby Now was the best song he's ever written. Which really makes me wonder why he barely ever plays it...

Yeah he's definitely said this before. Probably says it about quite a lot of the songs. :P

You could buy a live CD of the gig straight afterwards

Huh? How does this work?