Nick Cave

Midnight Man

hold up, you're a russian oligarch arent you? get the 400 quid ones yer tight get!

hehehe, cheeky bastard. if had the fucking money, I would. Rouble has collapsed over the last year. I'm really struggling to stay afloat at the moment. Things are pretty grim.

I agree totally with that but I like firstborn and haven't got it. So out of those six I'd probably get firstborn funeral and Abbatoir but can't afford all three at once. Spent a fortune on vinyl in last few weeks.

Ah I gotcha, I misread, thought you were getting both.

hehehe, cheeky bastard. if had the fucking money, I would. Rouble has collapsed over the last year. I'm really struggling to stay afloat at the moment. Things are pretty grim.

sorry to hear that mate, money is a shitty thing.

Many thanks for the replies about the Albert Hall (though not what I wanted to hear - always thought of it being an iconic venue). However, not heard many good things about the O2, but cant be missing The National there later this year.

Still, my daughter got us 2 tickets in the centre of the arena area, direct from the Albert Hall website. Can't wait!

Many thanks for the replies about the Albert Hall (though not what I wanted to hear - always thought of it being an iconic venue). However, not heard many good things about the O2, but cant be missing The National there later this year.

Still, my daughter got us 2 tickets in the centre of the arena area, direct from the Albert Hall website. Can't wait!

well the albert hall is definitely not a bad venue, but it's just never really lived up to my expectations. Probably because they are too high due to it being an iconic venue like you say!

As for the o2, it gets a bad rep but it's the best arena I've been to in this country. Much better than wembley arena and earls court and olympia in london thats for sure. I've never had a problem with sound or view there. Plus it's only 15mins from my house which is a bonus!

Edited by russycarps

well the albert hall is definitely not a bad venue, but it's just never really lived up to my expectations. Probably because they are too high due to it being an iconic venue like you say!

As for the o2, it gets a bad rep but it's the best arena I've been to in this country. Much better than wembley arena and earls court and olympia in london thats for sure. I've never had a problem with sound or view there. Plus it's only 15mins from my house which is a bonus!

Yeah, what he said. The National standing at the O2 will be wicked - and just over a month and a bit away :D

You're going aren't you, Russy?

Your ears are failing in your old age.

It doesn't grab like high violet and probably isn't as consistent as alligator or boxer but there's some belters on there.

I should live in salt. Graceless. Pink rabbits. Don't swallow the cap. Heavenfaced. Just for starters.

The way your ears are going you're gonna start likening the kooks to cave and Floyd.

ha well it's ok, but it just sounds like an inferior version of their previous albums to me.

That's my problem with the national really, they dont ever change their sound, and as a result their newest album always just seems like a slightly worse version of the one before. They are good at what they do, but why would I need to listen to this latest one, when it's so similar to boxer and alligator, but not as good.

That's why they could never be one of my favourite bands, I like a bit of variety in the albums of my beloved acts, eg cave, flaming lips, floyd, bowie, radiohead etc..

Edited by russycarps
  • Upvote 1

I kind of agree. That's why I like cave waits and young so much.

However I don't really see where else the national could go to be honest.

yeh it's not a criticism really. It would be dreadful if they tried to reinvent themselves with a dance-y type album or something.

I dont think they will be a band that will be around for much longer though, maybe 1 or 2 more albums tops. I just dont think it's sustainable to keep making such similar albums. That's the reason why the walkmen (who I like a lot) broke up. Cos they were sick of constantly playing the same old sound.

Can you take your limp-wristed, bet-wetting National lists out of this thread FFS!

It is incomprehensible that the national and nick cave could be discussed under the same banner.

ENOUGH!

top 5 nick cave shagging songs:

babe you turn me on

slowly goes the night

hard on for love

higgs boson blues

babe I'm on fire

Nick Cave and lurve don't mix in our house. Mrs CJ makes a diplomatic comment like 'What's this sh1t you're listening to?' on most of my stuff 24/7. Are headphones a no-go area on conjugals, a kind of alternative silent disco?