Nick Cave

Midnight Man

Clearly you do need to hear Grinderman to know Warren's the best.

THIS.

Can't believe Scruffy hasn't heard Grinderman yet. I ask you.

"Kicking Against The Pricks" is great in my opinion but yeah original stuff should obviously take priority. And I don't buy vinyl anyway, so wrong person to ask also.

"Worm Tamer"! What a song. Might Grinderman my way into work today.

"My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster. Two great big humps and then I'm gone..."

I was not aware of this. Like her even more now:

One of Clarks favoured musical tricks is to make the normal suddenly unsettling, whether by bending notes to make it seem as if the floor is shifting, or throwing in a guitar solo that sounds like an anxiety attack, or uprooting the mundane with an unexpected lyrical twist. On the song Birth in Reverse (its title taken from a Lorrie Moore short story, Which Is More Than I Can Say About Some People), she sings, Oh what an ordinary day, take out the garbage, masturbate. I tell her it made me laugh.

No, she corrects, drily. That was deeply sexual. Thats weird that you werent turned on, fuck. Clark admits shes a comedy nerd (her first album is called Marry Me, after a recurring gag in the sitcom Arrested Development, and she has twice appeared in the sketch show Portlandia) and theres often a black humour in her lyrics. Not in a put the honking nose on the clown kind of way. Not like, you know, slapstick. But I think the Nick Cave song, There She Goes My Beautiful World, which I took the name St Vincent from, thats a hilarious song. It illustrates the squalor, and the grandeur.

From Guardian interview (http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/aug/07/-sp-st-vincent-interview-always-felt-like-weirdo)

the lyric with St vincent in is

And Dylan Thomas

He died drunk in St Vincents hospital

am I missing something? Why would she choose that to be her name?

It's a great song though it must be said, though it never quite sounded right live when they were touring that album (imo)

I thought the same thing, to be fair.

Can I say, briefly, that I fucking love Dylan Thomas, and Under Milk Wood is my favourite thing in the whole fucking world ever.

Although not that fuckawful BBC production from a couple of months ago, that was a huge steaming pile of fucking pony. Bloody travesty.

(Yadda yadda disclaimer yadda yadda not as good as Nick Cave yadda yadda)

the lyric with St vincent in is

And Dylan Thomas

He died drunk in St Vincents hospital

am I missing something? Why would she choose that to be her name?

It's a great song though it must be said, though it never quite sounded right live when they were touring that album (imo)

A bit more wiki-research reveals the following explanation:

'In 2006, Clark began recording a studio album, under the stage name St. Vincent. In an interview on The Colbert Report, she said that she "took [her] moniker from a Nick Cave song, which refers to the hospital in which Dylan Thomas died. "The reference is to the line "And Dylan Thomas died drunk in / St. Vincent's hospital" from Cave's song "There She Goes my Beautiful World" off the album Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus. Its the place where poetry comes to die, she has said. Thats me.[16] [6] The name is also a reference to her great-grandmother, whose middle name was St. Vincent.[17]'

Very nice.

I love that song but agree - it's kind of the reverse of Jubilee Street in that it's magnificent on record but rarely so great live. Incidentally, talking of TSGMBW as we are, my Uni English tutor described John Wilmot as being a cross between Mick Jagger and Lady Diana, which has always stuck with me. His poetry is filthy and brilliant too, if you haven't read it.

Okay, premiere is this week so officially acceptable to get excited :D Feels like it's been a looooooong time coming and I can't wait. Really keen to see some of that Koko footage too.

Anyone been to one of these Somerset House film dealies before? How early would you recommend getting there? I know Cave fans can be a bit rabidly over-enthusiastic (hi) but surely you can see the screen from wherever so no need to rock up early? It says doors at 6.30 but film doesn't start until 9. Weather looking okay at the moment.

I am excite.

I was looking in to this last night. I note you can bring your own food+booze in (only 2 cans per person though :lol:) but no glass.

I am only going to take a blanket I think so it will probably be too uncomfortable to arrive too early. I think I'm going to turn up about half eight. As you say the screen is massive so I'm not that fussed if I'm towards the back. I've seen photos from other films and it doesnt look TOO jam packed.

I'm really really looking forward to it. I have purposefully not really read any reviews about the film so it will all come as a complete surprise. I did see on the somerset house website that the film was described as very moving and uplifting. Gonna be ace!

£25 for a film though!!! fucking hell we are nuts.

Ha, yeah, we are that. I hope that man appreciates the contribution I've made to his pension over the years. Not that he'll ever retire.

Cool, I was thinking about the same kind of time really. Just gonna take a poncho and a blanket and my 2 cans (:D) and hope for the best!

I've not read any detailed reviews either, just seen pics and trailers. I look forward to the post-film dissection! Bet I bloody cry.

I genuinely can't remember the last time I played any CD, I reckon it's probably at least 18 months ago. Really ought to get rid of them all, but no idea what to do with them

Edited by Mardy