Nick Cave

Midnight Man

Okay guys, here it is, my entirely subject-to-change-and-in-no-particular-order top 10 of Cave songs:

From Her To Eternity

As I Sat Sadly By Her Side

Are You The One That I've Been Waiting For?

Higgs Boson Blues

Oh My Lord

Green Eyes

Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum

New Morning

Babe, I'm On Fire

Straight To You

I don't even want to look at it as I regret all the omissions already... and it's totally non-reflective of my favourite albums, as it really should have everything off Tender Prey and NMSWP on there as well... which would, of course, be impossible.

Close contenders on the B-list:

City Of Refuge

We Call Upon The Author

There She Goes My Beautiful World

Good Good Day

Come Into My Sleep

Stranger Than Kindness

Lay Me Low

Nobody's Baby Now

Grief Came Riding

Babe, You Turn Me On

Supernaturally

Sheep May Safely Graze

I could go on...

With each of these lists I'm thinking 'Oh, yeah forgot about THAT', in this one it's 'Nobody's Baby Now', or 'Nobby's a Baby Now', as Scruffy would say ;)

• Upvote 1

With each of these lists I'm thinking 'Oh, yeah forgot about THAT', in this one it's 'Nobody's Baby Now', or 'Nobby's a Baby Now', as Scruffy would say ;)

:sarcastic:

But yeah I'm already feeling bad about leaving it out. Perhaps these lists should be more like a percentage of the artist's work, rather than just 10. What would be a fair percentage for someone like Cave?

Right - top of head and no order

From here to eternity

Kindness of stranglers

Strangler than kindness

Watching Alice

City of Refuse

When My Fist Came to Town

Straight two You

There she goes, My Beautiful Girl

Natural Boy

Oh Sweet Lord

15 feet of Pure Whites Know

Jubilee Feet

Higgs Boson Blues.

And yes I am aware of the mistakes (All of them) and that there's too many songs. If I had to remove 3 of those I'd say Nature Boy, Higgs Bosun Blues and Stranger than kindness I suppose. If I really thought about it too much my head would implode.

Nice list. I have to know: were those errors on purpose or genuine accidents? Please say they were genuine accidents.

Good call on The Carny too :) Love it.

Right - top of head and no order

From here to eternity

Kindness of stranglers

Strangler than kindness

Watching Alice

City of Refuse

When My Fist Came to Town

Straight two You

There she goes, My Beautiful Girl

Natural Boy

Oh Sweet Lord

15 feet of Pure Whites Know

Jubilee Feet

Higgs Boson Blues.

And yes I am aware of the mistakes (All of them) and that there's too many songs. If I had to remove 3 of those I'd say Nature Boy, Higgs Bosun Blues and Stranger than kindness I suppose. If I really thought about it too much my head would implode.

Good stuff, and a very small amount of mistakes compared to your usual nick cave posts.

Picking higgs over jubilee street though, you pair of aching simpletons.

The only album of his I can find is Nothing broken (doesn't have this song on it I don't think) so I've ordered it on CD, along with the B sides one. Didn't realise that was a 3cd set. Haven't given Waits' Orphans enough effort yet so along with that, I'm gonna be busy.

yeh that nothing broken is the one I have, though I havent played it in years. If you ever see Rare Songs & Performances 1989-2004 for sale anywhere please let me know, as that's the one with the "first came to town" cover

fucking italics piss off!

Okay, here goes:

Let Love In

=Tender Prey

=The Boatman's Call

Murder Ballads

No More Shall We Part

Push The Sky Away

Henry's Dream

The Good Son

Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus

Your Funeral... My Trial

I know Let Love In may not be the most popular choice, but it's my choice, for several reasons. It was the first Bad Seeds record I listened to, on the recommendation of a guy I used to work with. So while I acknowledge that it's not the best, perhaps not even my favourite, it does hold a special place for me, and it's always the one I recomment to people new to Cave.

As for songs, I just picked the first ten that came to my head and that felt right:

I Let Love In

The Mercy Seat

Nobody's Baby Now

Into My Arms

The Kindness of Strangers

Jubilee Street

Lime Tree Arbour

Mercy

Straight To You

As I Sat Sadly By Her Sad

Edited by Winslow Leach

Okay, here goes:

Let Love In

=Tender Prey

=The Boatman's Call

Murder Ballads

No More Shall We Part

Push The Sky Away

The Good Son

Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus

Your Funeral... My Trial

Henry's Dream

I know Let Love In may not be the most popular choice, but it's my choice, for several reasons. It was the first Bad Seeds record I listened to, on the recommendation of a guy I used to work with. So while I acknowledge that it's not the best, perhaps not even my favourite, it does hold a special place for me, and it's always the one I recomment to people new to Cave.

As for songs, I just picked the first ten that came to my head and that felt right:

I Let Love In

The Mercy Seat

Nobody's Baby Now

Into My Arms

The Kindness of Strangers

Jubilee Street

Lime Tree Arbour

Mercy

Straight To You

As I Sat Sadly By Her Sad

cant argue with much of that apart from the low placing of henrys dream you nutter!

Let love in is a solid choice of 1st place I reckon and is often the album I recommend first to newcomers. That was the album that was out when I got into them too, though my introduction was seeing loverman at glastonbury as I was passing through the field, and I have been hooked ever since! My poor innocent youthful ears had never heard anything like it

your top 10 songs is flawless.

Edited by russycarps

cant argue with much of that apart from the low placing of henrys dream you nutter!

Let love in is a solid choice of 1st place I reckon and is often the album I recommend first to newcomers. That was the album that was out when I got into them too, though my introduction was seeing loverman at glastonbury as I was passing through the field, and I have been hooked ever since! My poor innocent youthful ears had never heard anything like it

your top 10 songs is flawless.

Oh stop it, I'm blushing. To be honest Henry's Dream was a tough call. On the one hand I know how good an album it is, but on the other it's not one I really listen to all that much.

Ah damn it, you've convinced me, I'm moving it up the list. But that's the only change I'm making!

Edited by Winslow Leach

Is that an attempt to stop this drifting into 'Discussions'? :P

I don't see any chance of the Bad Seeds doing Glastonbury on the same record but if there's been a secret Grinderman album in the works then that'd be a cool addition. Dream Park Stage headliners.

Damn - you saw through my cunning plan! :P

I've wanted to see Grinderman on the Park since forever, mind.

so so far i've listened to:

Abattoir Blues/The Lyre Of Orpheus

Push The Sky Away

Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!

Tender Prey

Henry's Dream

No More Shall We Part

along with Grinderman 2

enjoyed all of them immensely on first listens. don't ask why i went for the likes of Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! before some of the classics - it just took my fancy at the time. hope the rest is as good as what i've heard thus far. think i might get Nocturama and the other 'weaker' ones out of the way first and save some of the best for last (i.e. The Boatman's Call, Let Love In). something to look forward to!

loved Tender Prey. i'm going from one album straight to the next so haven't really had time to pick out particular favourite songs yet but will hopefully get round to that once i've given them all a spin

Henry's Dream sticks out to me as a frontrunner on first listen thus far. the songs just instantly got my attention and seem very memorable. Straight To You is amazing; glad to see it's been mentioned in people's top tens

Top ten..

From Her To Eternity

Jubilee Street

There She Goes My Beautiful World

Sad Waters

(Are You) The One That I've Been Waiting For?

Saint Huck

Let The Bells Ring

Lay Me Low

The Ship Song

Death Is Not The End

Subject to change by the fucking minute.. Too many

you cant have a cover in your top ten!