Nick Cave

Midnight Man

And so you should be.

Apology not accepted :sarcastic:

I can only apologise again. I've let myself down, I've let this forum down, I've let Nick down.

I'm going to think long and hard about what I've done B)

You didn't see him at the festival either, did you? Outrageous.

Evan Dando won out on the day . It was very very odd, and in a completely different way, more disturbing and affecting than Nick.

Edited by Mardy

Evan Dando won out on the day . It was very very odd, and in a completely different way, more disturbing and affecting than Nick.

I can see how missing that Nick Cave performance would be disturbing ;)

I don't know much about Evan Dando. Probably for the best as I had a tough enough clash to contend with anyway!

Say more Mardy. Apols if theres some long description somewhere else on here. Why was he odd/ disturbing?

Well now, I was a lemonheads fan way back when, 'Hate your friends' era stuff, before Dando was even the main man in the band. Lick was a phenomenal album and obviously 'It's a shame about Ray', well, you know.

So, I saw them a lot between about 88 and 94.

They were always fun, lively, pop, proper full on glorious heartfelt lovely pop.

Now, he's like a zombie. Almost to the point of needing someone to lead him on the stage. Empty hollow eyes, no presence at all, like a puppet being manipulated by invisible strings.

Realy really disquieting, espeically as my memories were of those live gigs from their heyday. man, those gigs at Kilburn National, The Mean Fiddler, ULU, the Astoria, wherever. Truimphant, magnificent. To see the shuffling, inarticulate broken down fella that he's become. Fuck.

I LOVE Push The Sky Away.

I think its genius is perfectly encapsulated in a single line on Wide Lovely Eyes - the one that refers to mermaids hanging from lampposts by their hair.

Such a dark, disturbing (and deeply strange) image in such a lovely song. The album's full of them. In fact, I can't think of a single other Nick Cave album (with the possible exception of Henry's Dream) more chock full of wonderful and vivid imagery. Every song's like a neon Bosch painting recast in stark black and white.

Well now, I was a lemonheads fan way back when, 'Hate your friends' era stuff, before Dando was even the main man in the band. Lick was a phenomenal album and obviously 'It's a shame about Ray', well, you know.

So, I saw them a lot between about 88 and 94.

They were always fun, lively, pop, proper full on glorious heartfelt lovely pop.

Now, he's like a zombie. Almost to the point of needing someone to lead him on the stage. Empty hollow eyes, no presence at all, like a puppet being manipulated by invisible strings.

Realy really disquieting, espeically as my memories were of those live gigs from their heyday. man, those gigs at Kilburn National, The Mean Fiddler, ULU, the Astoria, wherever. Truimphant, magnificent. To see the shuffling, inarticulate broken down fella that he's become. Fuck.

That is a real feckin shame. Saw them at the National years back (who knows may have been the same gig you were at). Wonderful.

I really think he needs to headline John Peel. I think he'd tear that tent apart like no other, whilst providing a solid % of festival attendees a pyramid alternative.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE him to headline the pyramid, as has been hinted at here. Lets be realistic though. That's not happening this decade at least. JP however........ That's something I'd love to see.

Isn't the JP tent supposed to be for new bands? Or did I make that up? I can never be arsed walking over there anyway...

I think he's more likely to headline Other, which sucks because I hate Other. People seem to think Portishead went over well there though so maybe it could work.

Pyramid in 2023 - it will happen!

No it was originally called the New Bands Tent, but this meant new tent for bands as opposed to a tent for new bands - hence the confusion.

Ash, Jarvis Cocker, Echo & the Bunnymen, Doves and many other "older" bands have headlined there since I started going in 2007

Cool, thanks for clarifying! In that case I would prefer to see him in John Peel. Nice and dark and intimate :)

That would be amazing - plus I've never seen a headliner at John Peel.

I think he could also pull it off on Other stage. For some reason that stage seems to work better in the dark than the day. Portishead were amazing this year, and if you get near enough to the front, you pretty much guarantee nullifying the sound issues they sometimes have there due to the wind.

I think you may be right. I loved Orbital and Chemical Brothers there. I'd certainly be down the front anyway.

To be honest it would just be a luxury to see him in a crowd of fans rather than people waiting for someone else!

I've no idea what the JP Stage remit is these days. Between them and The Other Stage there seems to be room for anyone who might have played Reading & Leeds anywhere on the bill.

It would make sense were it still, in anything but name, the New Bands tent. But in recent years we've had Gang of Four, Doves, Echo & The Bunnymen, DJ Shadow.

It's "just another stage" now - albeit one that seems perfectly content to accommodate no end of flashes in no end of pans.

I don't want Nick Cave to headline there, because in there it's horrible.

I've no idea what the JP Stage remit is these days. Between them and The Other Stage there seems to be room for anyone who might have played Reading & Leeds anywhere on the bill.

It would make sense were it still, in anything but name, the New Bands tent. But in recent years we've had Gang of Four, Doves, Echo & The Bunnymen, DJ Shadow.

It's "just another stage" now - albeit one that seems perfectly content to accommodate no end of flashes in no end of pans.

I don't want Nick Cave to headline there, because in there it's horrible.

I haven't seen a band there in a really long time. Didn't even see it this year! I think I'd prefer him in there to Other though.

It was never the New Bands' Tent, always the New Bands Tent. Just like Jazzworld wasn't for the world of Jazz, but for Jazz and world music. Glastonbury seem to historically like misleading names for some reason.

Although I can't fathom out how they explain the Acoustic tent. I've seen many far-from acoustic gigs there and can't work out their get-out clause in that name

So it was a tent that was new in which bands played?

Marvellous.

I can't explain The Acoustic Tent either, but every time I glance at the line-up I vaguely understand why every band who's playing is playing in The Acoustic Tent. Like absolutely everything that has anything to do with music, it's one of those things that you just can't put your finger on but understand completely nonetheless.

I'd quite like a tent that catered for the whole ATP scene. The Park is but halfway there.

It was never the New Bands' Tent, always the New Bands Tent. Just like Jazzworld wasn't for the world of Jazz, but for Jazz and world music. Glastonbury seem to historically like misleading names for some reason.

Although I can't fathom out how they explain the Acoustic tent. I've seen many far-from acoustic gigs there and can't work out their get-out clause in that name

Could they argue it has something to do with the acoustics?

New Bands Tent is a shit name for a tent anyway. But I don't think it lives up to its namesake now either.

I kind of see each stage as it's own little festival now, each booking their own bands. Pyramid = V Festival, Other = T in the Park / Reading, Acoustic = Green Man, West Holts = Womad, Avalon = ?, Park = End of the Road, John Peel = Field Day and the dance stage = Creamfields or whatever decent dance festivals they have now.

Personally I tend to avoid the Pyramid. Cave was the only thing I saw this year.

Yeah but Cave would never play V would he? Doubt Kenny Rogers would either!

V has that habit of being pretty crap and then throwing in one act that is decent that I would like to see. I could see them throwing in a Kenny Rogers like act. No chance with the African stuff though, but you get the feeling that was a one off this year. Billy Bragg wouldn't do V, but I think generally it's pretty true.

Pyramid = V Festival

Pyramid does not - repeat, NOT - equate to the V Festival.

Billy Bragg would NEVER play the V-Festival. V-Festival would NEVER allow for Mali musicians to open proceedings each day. And, most of all, NEVER IN A THOUSAND YEARS would you EVER see CHARITY videos between bands at V-Festival.

I realised this year that the Pyramid Stage is the place where I can have my cake and eat it. There I can see some pretty huge acts yet still bask in the Glastonbury counter-culture glory.

Also, though I've never been to V-Festival, I'm sure they dream of replicating the MAGIC of a PYRAMID HEADLINER.

Also, Acoustic = Greenman? Try Guilfest. The Park Stage has more in common with Greenman.

And though I don't quite buy your theory, for what it's worth, Avalon = either Beautiful Day, Wickerman or Bearded Theory.

Pyramid does not - repeat, NOT - equate to the V Festival.

Billy Bragg would NEVER play the V-Festival. V-Festival would NEVER allow for Mali musicians to open proceedings each day. And, most of all, NEVER IN A THOUSAND YEARS would you EVER see CHARITY videos between bands at V-Festival.

I realised this year that the Pyramid Stage is the place where I can have my cake and eat it. There I can see some pretty huge acts yet still bask in the Glastonbury counter-culture glory.

Also, though I've never been to V-Festival, I'm sure they dream of replicating the MAGIC of a PYRAMID HEADLINER.

Also, Acoustic = Greenman? Try Guilfest. The Park Stage has more in common with Greenman.

And though I don't quite buy your theory, for what it's worth, Avalon = either Beautiful Day, Wickerman or Bearded Theory.

It's more the idea that each stage is it's own individual festival, I agree we can argue over which festival each stage represents. None of them fit exactly. I would argue that you've mentioned the exceptions on the Pyramid stage, overall it's pretty middle of the road commercial music. It has it's place, but it's not my thing. Which is pretty much my opinion of V.

• 2 weeks later...

For any southerners who failed to get tickets for the upcoming tour, Mr Cave has just announced a date at Brighton Dome:

http://brightondome.org/event/3947/nick_cave_and_the_bad_seeds/

Looks like an awesome venue and it would be cool to see him 'at home', so to speak. Gutted I've spunked all my money on the London dates otherwise I'd be tempted to go again.

For any southerners who failed to get tickets for the upcoming tour, Mr Cave has just announced a date at Brighton Dome:

http://brightondome.org/event/3947/nick_cave_and_the_bad_seeds/

Looks like an awesome venue and it would be cool to see him 'at home', so to speak. Gutted I've spunked all my money on the London dates otherwise I'd be tempted to go again.

ugh I'd love to go to that. No chance sadly.