Nick Cave

Midnight Man

Sooo much better than 2009 - took on the challenge of a largely disinterested Sunday night audience, and even Mumford fans were won over by the end. Incendiary is a word cheaply banded about when talking about live music but justified by that performance. Bad Seeds also on fire. Bobby Gillespie and Morrissey (2011) could have learnt a lot!

The contact with the girl in white during 'Stagger Lee' was a perfect 'Glastonbury moment' - I began to think I was hallucinating after a long, sleepless week :) Just a pity that the organisers didn't take a little risk and make him headliner...

Can't wait for October if it's even half as good as that.

• Upvote 1

Sooo much better than 2009 - took on the challenge of a largely disinterested Sunday night audience, and even Mumford fans were won over by the end. Incendiary is a word cheaply banded about when talking about live music but justified by that performance. Bad Seeds also on fire. Bobby Gillespie and Morrissey (2011) could have learnt a lot!

The contact with the girl in white during 'Stagger Lee' was a perfect 'Glastonbury moment' - I began to think I was hallucinating after a long, sleepless week :) Just a pity that the organisers didn't take a little risk and make him headliner...

Can't wait for October if it's even half as good as that.

I think that was one of the most strange and intense things I saw over all the coverage, Cave looked on top form though

Agreed, was great, slightly ruined by the weekend hippies not even watching and just chit chatting away mid-set. Took a lot of restraint to not hurt the middle aged wally in a straw flowery hat ranting at him to get off. Wish people had the respect to either just stand and wait quietly for the next band or not bother turning up til one before prior one finishes.

Looked great watching online. Perching on a rail using the audience for balance is a risk too far for most performers.

I thought 2009 was pretty intense but was actually there, so difficult for me to compare both.

So good. One of my favourite ever shows. I was near the front and worried that the crowd would be like the Primal Scream crowd, bored and waiting for the headliner. But the people around me were great, Cave and the band were incendiary, the set was brilliant (needed the Ship Song but you can't have everything), and that moment with the girl during Stagger Lee was lovely.

Is his band dirty 3?

One of them. Warren Ellis (crazy bearded guy on violin and guitar, standing on the right as you look at the stage) is the main guy for Dirty 3.

Feel like she might have been a plant...

Also: Cave fell off stage in Iceland just before Glastonbury. Brave of him to get back on the barrier ;) (Article with video: http://www.thelineofbestfit.com/news/latest-news/nick-cave-hospitalised-after-falling-off-stage-at-atp-iceland-and-still-makes-it-to-glastonbury-129186 - love the way the band carry on and how quickly the crew react).

Feel like she might have been a plant...

Also: Cave fell off stage in Iceland just before Glastonbury. Brave of him to get back on the barrier ;) (Article with video: http://www.thelineofbestfit.com/news/latest-news/nick-cave-hospitalised-after-falling-off-stage-at-atp-iceland-and-still-makes-it-to-glastonbury-129186 - love the way the band carry on and how quickly the crew react).

She wasnt a plant. Unless she was a bloody good one. She was stood just in front of us from before the start of Cave and seemed to in a group. She also wasnt directly at the front - so planting her with the vague hope of finding her in the crowd seems daft.

But it was an unearthly moment thats for sure.

The front was packed with Mumfords folk REALLY not getting it..

Edited by Ted Dansons Wig

Ah, interesting (we're talking the girl in white on someone's shoulders, not the one on the barrier with Nick Cave written on her face, right?). Shame about the crowd around you - I was basically on the barrier, in front of the screen on the left, so reasonably close, and it was a good crowd as I say. Funny how we can be quite close to each other and have such a different experience...)

• Upvote 1

She wasnt a plant. Unless she was a bloody good one. She was stood just in front of us from before the start of Cave and seemed to in a group. She also wasnt directly at the front - so planting her with the vague hope of finding her in the crowd seems daft.

But it was an unearthly moment thats for sure.

The front was packed with Mumfords folk REALLY not getting it..

EDIT: This is a GOOD thing in my book BTW. Plenty of other Cave fans really into it. Little bit of me hopes Nick did some of his nastier songs especially for a Mumfords crowd.

• Upvote 1

EDIT: This is a GOOD thing in my book BTW. Plenty of other Cave fans really into it. Little bit of me hopes Nick did some of his nastier songs especially for a Mumfords crowd.

Totally agree!

Nick and the Seeds were on top form. I was reminded of 'Play Misty For Me' when that girl in the white dress had her 'special moment'. I hope Nick remembers to lock his door at night...! I loved the other girl with 'Nick Cave' written on her face. I thought she was pretty awesome! Anyway, another great Glastonbury set from the legend that is Nick Cave. A definite highlight for me. Plus, I got to see more of The Smashing Pumpkins than I expected which was a nice surprise.

Edited by sime

Totally agree!

Nick and the Seeds were on top form. I was reminded of 'Play Misty For Me' when that girl in the white dress had her 'special moment'. I hope Nick remembers to lock his door at night...! I loved the other girl with 'Nick Cave' written on her face. I thought she was pretty awesome! Anyway, another great Glastonbury set from the legend that is Nick Cave. A definite highlight for me. Plus, I got to see more of The Smashing Pumpkins than I expected which was a nice surprise.

I'd let her in - homicidal maniac or no...

I'd let her in - homicidal maniac or no...

I wouldn't! To be fair I'm pre judging her. I'm sure she is a lovely person. It was a very intense moment although there was a lot of people giggling around me as it happened! I did for a second consider that she might be a plant but the logistics of that are just a bit to messy. Good for her though. She is becoming a bit of a legend now!

I couldn't believe the amount of people near me (I was up seated on the hill for 1st few cave numbers had a nite of excess and legs were fucked!) that either fucked off after a few songs or spent the entire time sniggering and saying loudly 'I thought Mumford and Sons were playing'

All I can say is what idiots I thought Cave was AWESOME.

Edited by mungo57

I was suffering from sun burn and cider on Sunday night, and being camped in Kindey Mead I was well within hearing distance so I sat round my tent singing along enjoying it.

DId I miss out. I just watched the set after reading about a girl in white.

Man I wish Id pulled myself together and dragged my fat ass down there. What an amazing set. That right there is a performer. I hate bands that just play off the CD.

Excellent!

Although not dissimilar to the set he played at Coachella, it was a much more vitriolic and enjoyable performance. It was the only set I went "to the front" for all weekend and I was really glad I did; the noise the band made was absolutely incredible. I watched the hoards (of morons) running away from much further back in 2009 so it was nice to experience a pretty good atmosphere this time although there was a weird bit where a whole bunch of kids who were clearly there to get spots for Mumfords (who, in fairness, had decided to enjoy everything, regardless) got so worked up by Nick's gymnastics that they were screaming for him like he was Harry Styles.

I'm sure there was a viciousness borne out of wanting to go utterly "Stagger Lee" on the audience but it was clear that the band and Nick enjoyed the gig a great deal. All in all, easily one of the "five best" of the weekend.

Oh, and "People Ain't No Good" drew real salt-water out of my right eye. Bastard.

Nick's set was a, basically, a Molotov cocktail chucked into the middle of the cosy, Mumford's fans circle jerk. Everything was measured, perfectly delivered and sharp as the eponymous 6" gold blade.

Where I was standing , half the crowd hated it and the other half thought it was the best thing they'd ever seen - which was exactly as it needed to be. The choice of songs was especially vicious - particularly "People Ain't No Good". Of all the slow songs they could have played after that opening onslaught, to choose that one was hilarious.