Iron Maiden at Donnington in 88.

Guest tonybmw

I don't know if Will Tudor, was at Donnington in 88, but I was!

Hate to say this but he is wrong with his comments about Maiden, so I want to put things straight. First of all Donnington in 88 was not Maidens first UK festival appearence, as that took place six years earlier in 1982. They were top of the bill on the saturday night at the old Reading festival.

As for his comment about Maiden being a controversal choice because they had not been around long, errr no, thats bollocks as well, because Maiden had been around for more than 10 years by 88. In truth they were at that point in their career one of the biggest rock bands in the world! I first saw them in 1979 at the Royal Court in Liverpool when Paul Di'Aino was the lead vocalist (Maiden did two albums with him Iron Maiden and Killers). Bruce Dickenson took over from Paul in 81 and recorded Number of the beast which 'broke' Maiden world wide and by 88 they were selling out US area's and were massive much bigger than Kiss as they had broken into the main stream 'pop music world' something Kiss never did...

Okay I'll shut up now.

Peace to all

T

• 4 months later...

I was at that gig !

Not really a Maiden fan but just went to experience the whole day anyway.

It def was not a controversial choice,. Maiden had hit the big time with Seventh Son.

Also pre forum/internet days who would you moan to ? - only your mates or possibly writing to Sounds but i would not have seen them taking much notice of ya .

In them days we just accepted the acts - we were grateful - I certainly cannot remember any bitching about a band being worthy !!!