Glastonbury alcohol email?

Guest Amii

EDIT: This issue has now been resolved, you are still able to bring trolleys and alcohol into the site. See Glastonbury's latest news release.

This email from Glasto has me a bit worried.... Are they planning on more strict limits? My poor wheeled alcohol device!:

Dear Festival Goer,

We are writing with some information about the use of alcohol at this year's Glastonbury Festival. We would very much appreciate it if you would read through this information.

'CHALLENGE 21'

We shall be operating the 'Challenge 21' policy whereby if you look under 21 you will be asked for identification. It is illegal to buy alcohol if you are a minor so please note you will not be served if you are under 18 or if you look under 21 and do not have appropriate ID.

We are also trialling a 'Challenge 21 wristband scheme'. This means that if you look under 21 you can show your ID once, and get a wristband that demonstrates that you are over 18. The wristbands are available from the Property Lock-Ups - see the site map for their locations. (You can also deposit your ID in the Lock-Ups for safe-keeping.)

The wristband scheme is voluntary and you can still get an alcoholic drink without a 'Challenge 21' wristband - as long as you are over 18 and can prove it, if challenged, by bar staff.

ALCOHOL ADVICE

The misuse of Alcohol is potentially dangerous, so if you or your friends want advice, information or assistance we have many support systems available on site. In an emergency contact a steward or security guard or alternatively you can go to an Information Point where they will be able to help you.

BRINGING ALCOHOL ON SITE

Glastonbury is the only major UK festival that allows you to take alcohol into the event. However, we need to encourage reasonable consumption and discourage over-consumption, so there are some provisions.

1. Any alcohol brought onto the site must be for personal consumption only

2. No glass bottles can be brought onto the site

3. You must be able to carry your alcohol yourself, without using any wheeled devices, including trolleys, wheelbarrows and wheeled suitcases.

4. Any Alcohol which is brought to the gates using a wheeled device will not be allowed in, and may be confiscated

We hope you have a safe and enjoyable Festival.

Edited by Amii

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Any alcohol brought onto the site must be for personal consumption only

2. No glass bottles can be brought onto the site

3. You must be able to carry your alcohol yourself, without using any wheeled devices, including trolleys, wheelbarrows and wheeled suitcases.

4. Any Alcohol which is brought to the gates using a wheeled device will not be allowed in, and may be confiscated

I haven't recieved the email but my guess is it is badly worded

I take a couple of crates on my trolley with all my other crap, so tent, beds etc

I have seen people taking entire sack trolleys stacked top to bottom with crates of booze

My guess is the wording is the key.

I could carry the alcohol myself without the trolley

The people who take a full trolley of nothing but booze may have an issue

This is worrying. I see loads of people wheeling in their alcohol..... theyve never done this before either!

Has anybody still go access to any emails sent out in 2011? Just to see if they said the same then.

Sounds like a roundabout way of cracking down on bootleggers. 2 crates of 24 cans a person would be about the most anyone could carry, and that would be about the most that you could claim is for personal use over 5 days. I guess if you have a trolley full of booze between a few of you it might be best to make sure you enter together to explain to security that its not just for one person.