"It's just a piss up in a field"

Guest antbfc

Seems a bit like saying St. Peter's Basilica is "just a church", Citizen Kane is "just a film" or Everest is "just a mountain".

It is, after all, the best piss up in a field in the world.

I sometimes wonder at these people who can't take any joy from anything. Life on earth must be pretty boring if you just spend all your time thinking everything is equally mediocre.

Oh contrare, it's what you make it. Doesn't have to be a piss up to enjoy it. Whatever floats you boat. For me a cider does add to the occasion. I don't get too blotto every day as then it becomes a blur.im more into the music than the beer, and if I had too (much as it will be a chore) I'd go without drink if necessary. We did that for iow when we left immediately after last chord, to catch the ferry.

Had a similar conversation with a work collegue this week. 'I love my live music, but I'd much rather watch it in proper arenas not in a field miles away'. I asked what was his last gig... He said 'Snow patrol last year'. The conversation ended there.

Some people are a lost cause.

Yes but if all bands played full sets we would get a fraction of the choice we get now. I think the set list lengths are about long enough, anything longer and concentration will go and I'd wander off. Single band in arena different as that's all your going for and that's all your paying for

I dunno, I don't really understand the idea that long sets = better. I'm passionate about music, but 60-75 minutes of anybody, even acts I absolutely love is enough. 2.5-3 hours is ludicrous really. It's a modern malaise, the idea that longer = better. It's like CDs going on for 70 minutes now instead of 45 minute albums. It doesn't seem to bring a correspinding increase in quality. Excitement and passion and art are not something than can be bought by the metre. Give me an incendiary 25 minute set over 3 hours of plodding mediocrity.

1st couple of times I went thought it a little frustrated by the short sets from the bands I truly wanted to see. Having been a few times now, think those 45 to 60 mins sets are great, it's better to be left wanting more than to get over filled. It also keeps the festival moving at a pace.

I dunno, I don't really understand the idea that long sets = better. I'm passionate about music, but 60-75 minutes of anybody, even acts I absolutely love is enough. 2.5-3 hours is ludicrous really. It's a modern malaise, the idea that longer = better. It's like CDs going on for 70 minutes now instead of 45 minute albums. It doesn't seem to bring a correspinding increase in quality. Excitement and passion and art are not something than can be bought by the metre. Give me an incendiary 25 minute set over 3 hours of plodding mediocrity.

I set an assignment for my learners the other day - I only asked for 500-700 words and one said she'd have difficulty keeping it that short, to which I replied: "If you can't say it in 500 words, you're probably not going to be able to say it in 5,000."

The same goes for sets. If you can't crack it in 45 minutes then you probably won't in an hour and a half.

Edited by tonyblair

It's also about what they play - a tour set will usually contain more album tracks and obscure bits while a festival set should be nigh-on a greatest-hits set.

Which is perfect for a more casual fan who hasn't paid specifically for a ticket IMHO. This is why I was disappointed with the last Massive Attack set - mostly new stuff and not entirely satisfying, whereas in contrast I saw them a few years back at Lowlands and they played greatest hits including things I had entirely given up on hearing live from Blue Lines etc, wonderful mindblowing set.

Seeing that 45min/1hr set of someone I sort of like has often been enough to tip me over to buy a cd/gig ticket too it all makes sense

It's also about what they play - a tour set will usually contain more album tracks and obscure bits while a festival set should be nigh-on a greatest-hits set.

Which is perfect for a more casual fan who hasn't paid specifically for a ticket IMHO. This is why I was disappointed with the last Massive Attack set - mostly new stuff and not entirely satisfying, whereas in contrast I saw them a few years back at Lowlands and they played greatest hits including things I had entirely given up on hearing live from Blue Lines etc, wonderful mindblowing set.

Seeing that 45min/1hr set of someone I sort of like has often been enough to tip me over to buy a cd/gig ticket too it all makes sense