Dreams

feral chile

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The teeth falling out dream is actually very common. People say its an anxiety dream but I don't believe a word of dream interpretation, think most of its made up.

I am a *very* active dreamer. Usually remember a lot of them. Big sufferer of sleep paralysis as well, a really unpleasant experience.

A recurring dream I've had of late is hiding dead bodies. I haven't killed them or anything, I just find them and think they need to be hidden, and then I'm in a massive panic that the police will find them and I'll be in a load of crap. Not a very nice dream. Again its quite common apparently.

Do you think dreams mean anything? Current scientific theory is that they're completely random, but mine have been unpleasant lately.

That's not true. Current theory is that dreams are symbolic. Representations of desires etc. There's no prophetic link though as the symbolism is personal as well as cultural.

I think it's fairly interesting and useful if you suffer from nightmares or bad sleep.

Teeth falling out is very common, I heard it was related to money worries but like others I believe that dreams are individual and subjective.

The dolphin dream was indeed cool feral chile, I actually dreamt of being a dolphin a couple of times, once out at sea (with my friends throwing the fish) and the other in a zoo/wildlife park. At the time I guess I had a decision to make? The confines of the zoo v's the wildness of the sea? I dunno. I just love that I dream and I enjoy thinking about dreams afterwards. As a kid/teenager I kept a dream diary, that was pretty cool. Much cooler than complaining about boys ha.

Teeth falling out is very common, I heard it was related to money worries but like others I believe that dreams are individual and subjective.

Fears and desires aren't subjective. What comes to symbolise our fears and desires is. That's why you need to know the person individually to be of any use to them.

I'm class at dream analysis. Well, I seem to get a lot of people asking me to assess their dreams and it doesn't appear to be just titilation.

Fears and desires aren't subjective. What comes to symbolise our fears and desires is. That's why you need to know the person individually to be of any use to them.

I'm class at dream analysis. Well, I seem to get a lot of people asking me to assess their dreams and it doesn't appear to be just titilation.

Are you trying to make comments to entice Neil out of retirement :P

I should have said certain current thinking suggests that dreams aren't meaningful. I agree with you though, we find them meaningful, therefore they are. And it's the meaning we''ve placed on them that defines them.

I love analysing dreams, I don't know if I'm any good at it, but it's fascinating. I think that it can be a form of counselling, as you can tease out what your concerns are, by relating them to your dream. And because your dream's symbolic, and not waking life, you can explore them at a slight (and safe) distance.

Edited by feral chile

That's what I'm talking about. The things we dream about symbolise different things for different people.

if i smoke weed my dreams are mental, otherwise they are a fairly pleasant affair. i agree with what someone said about which cycle of sleep you are in when you wake.

I have had lucid dream experiences, which if people dont know - is where you are dreaming, aware you are dreaming, and able to fully control your dream and steer it where you want it to go. they are usually ace, and involve Kylie Minogue or some other "interesting" member of the opposite sex. my missus says I talk a lot in my sleep, and she can actually have a conversation with me sometimes.

some people also believe that the body releases natural DMT in small doses during REM sleep, which is the most potent psychoactive known to man apparently.

Edited by t8yman

Do you think dreams mean anything? Current scientific theory is that they're completely random, but mine have been unpleasant lately.

i keep dreaming that my house is overrun with insects and spiders, and they're infesting everything and are out of control. :(

I have had a few dreams like that before.

My dreams always used to be bizarre and seemed to jump from strange thing to another but, recently they are more like stories.

In my last dream me and an old school friend were helping prostitutes and drug addicts get off the street. :)

Also I want to learn how to have lucid dreams.

Edited by AcademicPistol

Having said that though, fears and desires aren't subjective? Aren't they? We aren't all afraid of the same things and we all have our own desires...

What we fear isn't universal. Fear itself is.

That's why the symbols will be different. The context/action sequence of dreams usually indicates the emotion. That's universal. The characters/symbols are more difficult to understand. For example, I have no fear of spiders so the usual cultural bollocks associated with being covered in tarantulas means nothing. I'd probably cuddle them.

What we fear isn't universal. Fear itself is.

That's why the symbols will be different. The context/action sequence of dreams usually indicates the emotion. That's universal. The characters/symbols are more difficult to understand. For example, I have no fear of spiders so the usual cultural bollocks associated with being covered in tarantulas means nothing. I'd probably cuddle them.

that's what I think, too. The Orwellian rat thing wouldn't have bothered me, because I think of rats as cuddly and cute. If they'd have been insects on the other hand...

Though insects to me are more to do with revulsion, rather than fear.

I don't think it's the dream itself that has meaning, though, because it's only dreams that resonate with us that we pay attention to.

So it's the significance we place on it that's important. If that's true, it could just as well be clouds that we analyse.

Edited by feral chile

• 2 months later...

So I had a weird dream last night. It was pretty exquisitely detailed as well, and fairly cool.

I was on holiday with 4 other friends in a foreign city. This city was seriously grandiose and sci-fi though, I'd gone on holiday to it normally, but it was seriously impressive. Virtually every building was a pristine white skyscraper. There were lots of fancy trains/monorails, and futurama-esque tubes for transport. Every building that wasn't a glistening, sparkling white was currently getting cleaned by fancy floating robots. We were renting a small groundfloor apartment. It was incredibly shiny, with a massive glass wall/door along one short side of an L-shaped room, looking out over a park with a swimming pool.

After unloading our stuff into the apartment, we split into 2 groups to go and find takeaway. Me and 2 friends went and found this place which served these delicious tentacles-made-into-noodles, and headed back to try and find the others to recommend it. When we did, we were just about to enthuse about out discovery, but they got in first, raving excitedly about this chinese takeaway they'd found, partly about the food, but apparently they'd got chatting to the owner, and were told an offer they were doing for the week: If a group of us went in and bought 35 BOONYEN worth of food, we would get a FREE LIVE PIG to take with us. We were ecstatic at the thought of getting this pig, so the next night we went there, bought our 35 BOONYEN worth of food, along with our free pig!

We led the pig back to our apartment, but the moment we got through the glass door, it awakened some vampires who were living underneath the swimming pool outside. They immediately charged in and attacked us, yelling about the proper forms we had to fill out in order to have a pig in the apartment. One was particularly aggressive, strangling me until I filled out the forms, while we tried to fight them off.

Then I woke up.

• 2 weeks later...

Been having very odd series of dreams, at least that's the best way I can describe it, each night. There's 4 or 5 of them each time and they all seem to link together really loosely. They tend to be very vivid and colourful and completely random.

any emotion attached?

I was having a recurring dream, where I suddenly remembered I had a cat/baby/helpless creature I'd forgotten about - it was always still alive, but I'd kind of remember it, go and see it, feel guilty, and then leave it again.

the last time I dreamt it, it was a partly grown kitten, and this time I took it home with me. I haven't dreamt it since.

I'm presuming it was a guilt trip about trying to avoid responsibility for something.

If there's any consistent emotion its fear of losing one of my senses and having to rely on others. At times I even find myself waking up convinced that I can't see or feel.

It's accompanied by fairly broken sleep.

that's an interesting one. if I'd had that one, I'd be thinking I was trying to warn myself that I might be missing something important - something my subconscious is picking up on that my mind doesn't want to know.

Or it could of course just be that your brain isn't shutting itself down properly, or you're slightly aware of it shutting down.

I love dreams. I had a dream I had to decorate a house I just bought that was full of mad Escher-like staircases and it was covered in really shitty red Chinese wallpaper. If that wasn't hard enough there were rats everywhere and I managed to impale one with a very sharp yellow HB pencil but made it faster and it ran around bleeding on the bed with the pencil sticking out of its back. I was so annoyed.

Ever dream about being in work? I think that's where you just hate yourself and you punish yourself with unpaid labour, or your brain wants to create a nightmare scenario and it's come up with that as the ultimate night-sweat because things with monsters or insects or being chased or something are actually pretty thrilling and adventurous notions whereas for me my worst nightmare or idea of hell probably is being trapped in an office doing unpaid overtime taking orders via email from passive aggressive twats doing boring tasks all day.

That's my only nightmare these days. Being covered in spiders is something worth talking about. Maybe my brain is telling me "look, you'd rather be covered in spiders and be chased by rabid dogs than work in an office. Sort it out mate"

Edited by Purple Monkey

I love dreams. I had a dream I had to decorate a house I just bought that was full of mad Escher-like staircases and it was covered in really shitty red Chinese wallpaper. If that wasn't hard enough there were rats everywhere and I managed to impale one with a very sharp yellow HB pencil but made it faster and it ran around bleeding on the bed with the pencil sticking out of its back. I was so annoyed.

Ever dream about being in work? I think that's where you just hate yourself and you punish yourself with unpaid labour, or your brain wants to create a nightmare scenario and it's come up with that as the ultimate night-sweat because things with monsters or insects or being chased or something are actually pretty thrilling and adventurous notions whereas for me my worst nightmare or idea of hell probably is being trapped in an office doing unpaid overtime taking orders via email from passive aggressive twats doing boring tasks all day.

That's my only nightmare these days. Being covered in spiders is something worth talking about. Maybe my brain is telling me "look, you'd rather be covered in spiders and be chased by rabid dogs than work in an office. Sort it out mate"

:lol:

I have managed to combine a work and a spider dream. I used to do a job where I had to sort out forms into different categories, ready for them to be logged and processed. So it meant a lot of routine sorting and piling, and counting, as they had to be in a set number of piles.

Well, i'd obviously been watching an episode of I'm a Celebrity, because I dreamt my job was sorting A4 size bags full of various insects, bugs and spiders.

I often dream of work - I work in a contact centre, and my dreams often have a running commentary of me giving advice all the way through them.

Edited by feral chile

• 8 months later...

OK - very strange work related dream.

We were working in a large house/hotel in a period drama type thing, we were servants and had little lace hankie-style caps on. One of my colleagues had the keys, and wouldn't let the men have them, because they weren't responsible enough.

The doorway had been bricked up and next to it was a service hatch, and you had to climb your way along there to get to different rooms. Every morning to get ready for work, you had to climb out and navigate different floors, because you had to go to different locations for different things like washing your face, dressing, and cleaning your teeth. You cleaned your teeth in the attic, but it was really difficult, because everything on the toothbrush was bendy, as if it was made of paper or something squidgy, so you'd end up just running your fingers across your teeth.

You ate your food in a dining room with a massive long table, where all the staff were dressed demurely but were sitting on each other's laps suggestively, and acting rather like saloon girls.

The lady with the keys went to sit next to a woman I used to work with, and they looked really pally, so I went over to her and said 'I didn't know you two were friends' and she replied 'we're not, we've just met, but we're going to be union reps'.

The really worrying thing is, that in work today, I discussed this with the colleague featuring in my dream, and though highly symbolic, it all made perfect sense!

Edited by feral chile

• 1 month later...

I woke up in pain today. This is literally all I can remeber from the dream; I was in some old bar in Tokyo with someone from the school I went to in year 11. I asked him to buy me a drink but he said no so I karate kicked him in the face. The weird thing is though is that I was laid on my side in bed and when I kicked him in the dream I kicked the wall next to my bed. My right foot is pretty powerful though so as soon as my foot touched the wall I woke up in agony (my big toe started to bleed and half of the nail was starting come off, also my duvet wasn't there to cushion the blow!). I can't imagine what would have happened if I was sharing a bed with somebody. :sarcastic:

What's odd though is that I was watching Kill Bill yesterday so that film obviously had an impact on me! I guess the lesson here is to not watch violent films ;)

Edited by Jackmypie

I woke up in pain today. This is literally all I can remeber from the dream; I was in some old bar in Tokyo with someone from the school I went to in year 11. I asked him to buy me a drink but he said no so I karate kicked him in the face. The weird thing is though is that I was laid on my side in bed and when I kicked him in the dream I kicked the wall next to my bed. My right foot is pretty powerful though so as soon as my foot touched the wall I woke up in agony (my big toe started to bleed and half of the nail was starting come off, also my duvet wasn't there to cushion the blow!). I can't imagine what would have happened if I was sharing a bed with somebody. :sarcastic:

What's odd though is that I was watching Kill Bill yesterday so that film obviously had an impact on me! I guess the lesson here is to not watch violent films ;)

A painful lesson! I feel really disturbed when I dream violent dreams, it doesn't happen very often, thank goodness.

I have a lot of guilt/unresolved dreams, where I'm moving a body I've buried (in the dream, not a real one, I hasten to add!) or I suddenly remember I've left a living creature, usually a baby or a kitten, and abandoned it by totally forgetting it, when I was responsible for its welfare.

I'm presuming these dreams are my subconscious nagging me that I've left something important undone, or not facing up to something I feel guilty about. It's not really helpful though, because I never know what it is.