Checklist for Motorhome, Campervan and Caravan Dwellers

StoneCircle

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great list, which will remind me of stuff this year, cheers. My suggestion is a small spirit level to help with levelling the van. I forgot to use the blocks and wondered why I had water feed issues when I first got our van, but it was a bit hilly.

If you don't have a spirit level - we always test how level we are by laying something circular (pencil, plastic bottle, roll of gaffer tape etc) on a flat surface in the van. Not as accurate obviously, but if it rolls across the surface you're not flat. You'll need to rotate it 90 degrees to check front to back level and then side to side level.

Great list. I think taking black bin liners are a good idea as you can also use them to be taped to windows to keep the light out in the morning.

The proper sun shade covers from Poundland are better as the silver reflects the sun away :) Think these are them http://www.poundland.co.uk/product-range/a-z/car-sun-shades/

We're in Campervan West how hilly is it please? Called into our hire place other day as I was passing and they dont provide levelling blocks so wondered if I'll definitely need them

Whenever we've been West. we've been in W60 and fairly near the path and the incline is very gentle and we didn't use blocks. The drainage of our sinks / showers were fortunately in the right direction though.

I'm going to invest in some blocks this year as i'm not sure we'll be continually lucky with position / incline and we're in different vans this year.

Whenever we've been West. we've been in W60 and fairly near the path and the incline is very gentle and we didn't use blocks. The drainage of our sinks / showers were fortunately in the right direction though. I'm going to invest in some blocks this year as i'm not sure we'll be continually lucky with position / incline and we're in different vans this year.

Cheers for the info

I hired a motorhome last time, and most people in the campervan field (including us) ran their engines once a day. As the poster above said, just be considerate in terms of timing etc. Getting excited now!

• 2 weeks later...

if it's half a 13.5kg bottle and you are only using it for cooking six or seven meals then you will be fine.

if you're going to run the fridge full time (and the weather is hot so it has to work hard), run hot water for showers/washing, put the heating on etc then you will be pushing it.

ok first time with a caravan.... the gas bottle is only half full but we'll only be using it for cooking and even then mainly bacon in the mornings and a bit of re heating stuff on Wed and Thurs....will that be enough??

What kind of gas? LPG? If so, then you will have plenty for cooking. If propane, then I don't know, but I would think so.

I posted this in 2011 and people found it useful so here it is again. We caravan a lot so most of this stuff is always on board thankfully!!

Remove All Glass including jars etc

Check you have a full gas bottle and a spare and the spanner needed to swop over

Step

Levelling blocks

Spirit Level

Bedding, towels and facecloths

Cutlery, crockery, pans etc

Toilet and kitchen rolls

Bin liners

Chemical stuff for onboard loo.

Washing up bowl, cloth and liquid

Clingfilm, foil etc

Hot water bottles

Music, iPod + speaker + adapters, inverters etc

Jack

Small toolkit

Gaffa tape

Clothes horse or line & pegs

Chairs

Windbreak + ground pegs

Awning, curtains, carpet & skirt

Doormat

Loose rugs or an old blanket that can be shaken to keep carpets clean, especially if hiring!

Bin

Wood Burner, wood and firelighters

Candles

BBQ + lighting fluid, charcoal and utensils

Little table for outside

Flags & pole not to be removed from campervan fields!!

Big torch + head torch

Solar battery chargers

Portable phone chargers

Power pack

Spare fully charged battery for motorhome/caravan

Batteries AA and AAA

Sun cream

Day bag

Cool bag

First Aid Kit,

Wipes and tissues

Solar fairy lights and light for awning (Ikea)

Solar showers and or Battery shower http://amzn.to/10TjAMP + 25 litre container

Trugs for water, foot baths and outdoor washing

Aquarolls (ready filled if possible as the water is awful in the campervan fields)

Funnel and pipe to fill onboard fresh water tanks

Spare phone batteries & car chargers

Clock

Pen

Radio

Rain Mac or poncho Please leave your umbrella at home the person behind you will be grateful

Wellies

Hat and gloves

Clothes & Shoes

Food and Drink

Freeze ice blocks night before to keep food cool in caravan fridge in case electrics malfunction whist travelling.

Ice tray or bags

Igloo – also needs chilling and a 5 or 7 litre ice cube making.

Alcohol (remember no glass bottles) + Limes

Milk, Water, Juice all can be frozen

Coffee, Tea, Coffeemate

Enough bacon and sausage to cook full breakfast daily, freeze them into daily sized packs.

Eggs

Take a massive chilli or curry freeze into smaller containers and use as ice blocks.

Sauces/Condiments

Crumpets

BBQ food if arriving Tuesday

Butter, cheese

Bread (If you have an oven buy long life part baked)

Cereal

Tinned food - tomatoes, beans, hot dog sausages, soup etc

Spaghetti, rice

Olive Oil

Crisps and nibbles for midnight feasts

And yes I really do take all that!! :)

you forgot BINOCULARS old son

Edited by guypjfreak

• 9 months later...

Managed to break my levellers last year attempting to level up on the slope of campervan west. Keeping the fridge going was a nightmare. Now have the biggest levellers I could find but will still take a couple of extra wooden blocks for luck. Also, take more charcoal than you think you will need. We BBQd every day and had to scour the site for charcoal.

Managed to break my levellers last year attempting to level up on the slope of campervan west. Keeping the fridge going was a nightmare. Now have the biggest levellers I could find but will still take a couple of extra wooden blocks for luck. Also, take more charcoal than you think you will need. We BBQd every day and had to scour the site for charcoal.

Where did you get your levellers from?