What's in your player right now?

Guest RedRockRick

...and does it go with what you're eating?

Yes, right now. People playing anything by Queen ( henceforth to be known as The-Band-For-People-Who-Don't-Actually-Like-Music-But-Feel-They-Should-Own-A-CD, or TBFPWDALMBFTSOACD for short ) should please start their own thread.

Well, here at 49 Thunder Road, Guildford, things have been triggered by a Pressed Rat & Warthog memory from too far back, so it's a prog-and-before evening: right now it's Parachutes by The Pretty Things and soon it'll be Halfbreed by Keef Hartley. Wolf People, listen and weep.

On the food front, I've suffered in silence for too long, but has any else shared my disquiet at the lamentable drop in the quality of M&S packet meals? On Saturdays, if nothing else is on, I have M&S chicken kievs, pots of some description, and recklessly flambeed courgettes. Lately, the size of the chicken portions has shrunk to chick-size, it's so rubbery it tastes like the shaped variety, and there's not enough garlic. I now laugh at their "new improved recipe" tags: this always means less meat/fish, more sloppy sauce. I tell you, Keef Hartley wouldn't stand for this. Huh.

Quality-Street--008.jpg

Edited by RedRockRick

I am having an evening/nightime playlist

Nocturne by Wild Nothing

followed by John Grant Pale Green Ghosts

Thats the kind of ghost you get in your Night Beds Country Sleep

Just to make sure I have nightmares Its Cheese on Toast for supper

Last night it was

Rodriquez Searching for Sugarman

Porcupine Tree Fear of a Blank Planet

Rush Various live bits

British Sea Power The Decline of British Sea Power

Edited by ivan

At the moment the most prominant stuff I have going in the car stereo (only time I'm getting to listen to stuff atm) is Portishead - Roseland nyc. Phoenix - its never been like that. Madness - absolutely AME - Fabriclive (not the girl on that track but the dj with the umlot) Rumour Cubes - The Narrow State

after streaming it to death pre release, bought woodkid's golden age last weekend and cannot stop listening.

there is definitely some morricone/cinematic pastiche about it, but it is also by turns beautiful, clever and fun. if i dont bore myself to death by playing it too much, might have to think again whether paying £20 to see him at the roundhouse is a bit steep.

(and i just ate a bit of chocolate)

@ampersanddevil: ta for point about rumour cubes, i liked what i heard of their first ep and missed that release last year.

• 2 weeks later...

Gingersol: Eastern

I sit here open-mouthed (easier to pour wine in and avoid spillage) and wonder whatever happened to this lot: three cracking albums and, presumably, a one way ticket to the dark side of the moon. I feel a The-Greatest-Bands-In-The-World-What-You-Never-Heard-Of thread coming on, which will have to be severely moderated. In the meantime, repeat...

76.jpg

Edited by RedRockRick

• 3 months later...

last night was a good old cook and listen session, with free rein on the speaker volume as mrs RL was out.

on the stove: first up was the creation of a cheeky beef madras (not overhot, cos i'm a wuss) in semi industrial quantities, to be frozen, as the butcher had a stupidly good offer on some nice looking braising steak, next was the prep of some fruit type 'compote' using surplus blackcurrants from the veg patch, again to hit the freezer so it can be used to avoid scurvy come the winter.

on the player: bit of liveliness to accompany the curry prep with a new band on me Blaenavon followed by eotr listening to Palma Violets then Dinosaur Jr.

bit more laid back with the sweet stuff, comparing and contrasting the delights of Annie Clark, Sharon van Etten and another recent new sound on me Torres (Mackenzie Scott), seen at Latitude and totally deserving of being in the company of the other two.

bit late home from work (ha!) yesterday, so the accompanying food was unfortunately a cheese salad sarnie (with chilli jam) but the album is indeed immense.

not what i usually listen to, but a brilliant rollercoaster of noise and no little beauty - definite hints of oceansize for me.

http://deafheavens.bandcamp.com/album/sunbather

Broken Social Scene: You Forgot It In People

I knew nothing about BSS when I stuck the headphones on to listen to this at Tower at Columbus Circle, one night in late December 2002. Wow. I was lucky enough to see them twice, but only twice, first at a very small venue and then at a slightly larger one. Now, like another of my faves, Sleater-Kinney, they are on "indefinite hiatus". Come back Brendan Canning, Leslie Feist, Kevin Drew: you are the sum of all your parts.