The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

Did my first festival shopping trip of the season to Lidls today. No special bargains - mainly tinned food - but it will be a weekly trip from now on.

Also started building my stock of drink in cans from ASDAs.

At Poundworld I bought this cool bag which holds 20x500ml cans and seems like it can handle the weight of carrying that much without problems. Obviously with that price it doesn't seem particularly well insulated but it does solve my problem of having bought my cider in hard-to-carry 4 packs as opposed to boxes.

v86102sscoolbag.jpg

At Sainsburys in the 'travel gadgets' display I bought this Design Go portable 4xAAA charger (including batteries) where it was reduced to 55p. It has a mini-USB (labelled as Motorola) output as well as Nokia, Samsung and Sony Ericsson (models of the phones that use the proprietary connectors are listed on the back) but no Apple or micro-USB. I had previously bought a similar Signalex Battery Backup from Poundland which worked for my MP3 player but not my phone, but this one seems to work well with both.

gotravelinstantcharge.png

This site has some good stuff.

Just picked up a Coleman Weekend 2 Tent for £14.95 + postage

http://www.outdoorclearance.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=190_31_250&products_id=149576

Thanks for this, I've just picked up over £50 worth of stuff for Glasto and my summer holiday from here, including a bumbag that someone recommended on another thread a few months back that includes 2 x 500ml plastic drink bottles, reduced from £18 to £7.50, and an 8 x 21 monocular for £6.50.

Bargains galore on here and well worth a look for anyone that's still got outdoor type stuff to buy

I need to get hold of 6 or so folding chairs and a decent picnic table if anyone spots such a thing on special on their rounds. I'm going in a motorhome so not too worried about foldability / weight. Every year up until now the companies we've hired off provided it all, so it's spend-tastic all of a sudden! Which is kind of how i like it. I love a good shopping list!!

I need to get hold of 6 or so folding chairs and a decent picnic table if anyone spots such a thing on special on their rounds. I'm going in a motorhome so not too worried about foldability / weight. Every year up until now the companies we've hired off provided it all, so it's spend-tastic all of a sudden! Which is kind of how i like it. I love a good shopping list!!

My local Decathlon (Nottingham) were running a special offer on that stuff a few days ago. Not sure if it's nationwide, and I didn't look at the details, but they had a fairly large range and they're usually pretty cheap.

Not such a bargain for most I guess but I wasn't sure where to put this :P, but I was in Tesco today and had a look in the clothing bit for some cheap t-shirts for Glastonbury :D....Anyway I found a new hat as well that I was sort of on the look out for as my old one has lot its shape...anyway when I got tot the till, it gets scanned and comes up as £0.04 ..yes 4p! It's got 8 quid on tag, so the cashier tries again! Same thing, anyway he just lets me have it for the scanned price and removes the 2nd one he scanned in :lol:

Not such a bargain for most I guess but I wasn't sure where to put this :P, but I was in Tesco today and had a look in the clothing bit for some cheap t-shirts for Glastonbury :D....Anyway I found a new hat as well that I was sort of on the look out for as my old one has lot its shape...anyway when I got tot the till, it gets scanned and comes up as £0.04 ..yes 4p! It's got 8 quid on tag, so the cashier tries again! Same thing, anyway he just lets me have it for the scanned price and removes the 2nd one he scanned in :lol:

Win!

Interestingly, Cool Bags do a trick, but take a big bucket, buy from site preferableand fill it with water, the fuller the colder the cans are at the bottom that was my Leeds Festival technique and it worked a treat, thats my bargain saves £4 a pint

Not sure if this counts as a "camping essential", but I bought 18 Travel Johns for £15.28 including delivery on Amazon a couple of days ago, they were a warehouse special because the packaging is damaged. I've just checked and there are still 2 more packs available at this price, but even at full price they are only £16.78. Should keep me going for the next 2 or 3 festivals!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000NVBYD8/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1368689049&sr=8-1&keywords=traveljohn&condition=used

halfords have this decent 4 man tent with 2 pods and central area with awning for £36 including 10% off for buying online! pick up.instore for free!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&productId=910607

Thanks - just bought one of these, off to Glastonbudget in just over a week so will try it out and report back.

Edit - £35.99 with free delivery.

Edited by The_Amazing_Oblong

Lidl are doing solar chargers for £12.99 it has a 2000mah battery which should give you two mobile phone top ups without a ray of sunshine.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-243A0A7F-8B8E1471/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=2281

86299_01_f.jpg

Thanks for the tip, just got one on my way to work. Hopefully it will have the adapter I need. There was quite a bit of outdoors and camping kit in there so worth having a look if you're near a Lidl.