The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

Its great option yeah. Been doing it since the Joe Bananas days. Saves us a fortune on checking extra bags and the hassle etc flying over. 

You can travel very light as a result. Might help for your long trip down south.

Even just for an airbed and chair it would be handy! Airbeds way a ton (and take up valuable space) and chairs are just a bitch.

Its great option yeah. Been doing it since the Joe Bananas days. Saves us a fortune on checking extra bags and the hassle etc flying over. 

You can travel very light as a result. Might help for your long trip down south.

Do they actually have a facility for accepting items back, or is it something you do and they're happy enough to go with it? I'm guessing that there's no kind of partial refund on returned items.

39 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Just put my order into the Cozy Camper. Means we've to bring fuck all with us. Collect the order there - inflatable mattress, chairs, pillows - and drop it back on Monday. 

Just having a look at them now. What pillow did/do you get? I don't know what a 'hollow fiber pillow' means.

6 minutes ago, musky said:

Do they actually have a facility for accepting items back, or is it something you do and they're happy enough to go with it? I'm guessing that there's no kind of partial refund on returned items.

Yeah I dont think you get any sort of refund. But it does say on their website - take home or give back on the Monday (can be returned up to 4pm).

6 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Yeah I dont think you get any sort of refund. But it does say on their website - take home or give back on the Monday (can be returned up to 4pm).

Fair enough. As long as they don't end up binning anything that could be re-used.

20 minutes ago, musky said:

The facility is making sure what you give back to them is disposed of properly. Assume they have a collection point at their stall or something. Its approved by the festival either way so all good. 

Theres no partial refunds.

13 minutes ago, mjsell said:

I don't know what a 'hollow fiber pillow' means.

A shitty enough one. I like a firm pillow so usually put a jumper of something under the pillow to prop it up. Haven't used the inflatable one before. 

Edited by The Nal

The facility is making sure what you give back to them is disposed of properly. Assume they have a collection point at their stall.

Theres no partial refunds.

A shitty enough one. I like a firm pillow so usually put a jumper of something under the pillow to prop it up. Haven't used the inflatable one before. 

I think I'd prefer to pack up the tent and give that to the camp site stewards. At least then you know that it'll be re-used rather than going to landfill.

14 minutes ago, musky said:

I think I'd prefer to pack up the tent and give that to the camp site stewards. At least then you know that it'll be re-used rather than going to landfill.

I bring my tent, and bring it home. 

Not sure sleeping bags and pillows are re-used? Cozy Camper don't actually say what they do with the stuff after its dropped back but I'm pretty sure they dump it at midnight into the kitten shelter at the local RSPCA. 

Edited by The Nal

22 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I bring my tent, and bring it home. 

Not sure sleeping bags and pillows are re-used? Cozy Camper don't actually say what they do with the stuff after its dropped back but I'm pretty sure they dump it at midnight into the kitten shelter at the local RSPCA. 

And who could deny the kittens!

8 hours ago, simoneng_1983 said:

any recomendations on walking boots? Budget up to about £50, but could stretch a bit more if needed. Thanks in advance

Karrimor Munros. Well reviewed and comfortably under budget. You'd do well to get yourself down to a shop and try them for yourself though, and don't forget to wear them as much as you can to break them in.
http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-munro-mens-walking-boots-182181

"Tiny" fold down camp chairs:

http://www.thisisitstores.co.uk/lightweight-aluminium-camping-chairs-all.html

Just got one to check it and going to order a second now!

Also slightly cheaper/heavier ones of the exact same style here:
http://www.thisisitstores.co.uk/ultralight-camping-chairs-all.html

Edited by gfest2009
fix links

1 minute ago, idb said:

Purchased a Adventuridge Self-Inflating Mat from Aldi. Still taking a blow-up airbed, but will prob put this underneath/to the side to give some comfort from the groundsheet.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/adventuridge-self-inflating-mat/p/094875139923600

One night, try sleeping on just the mat. I bought one of these last year after years of blow up beds. 

Couldnt get over how much more comfy it was just in the mat. 

The lack of rolling around made a massive difference.

ill never go back to a blow up mattress now.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Divein said:

One night, try sleeping on just the mat. I bought one of these last year after years of blow up beds. 

Couldnt get over how much more comfy it was just in the mat. 

The lack of rolling around made a massive difference.

ill never go back to a blow up mattress now.

Do you sleep on your front or your back?

Yeah I think that seems to be the pattern. People who sleep on their front tend to favour mats, while back sleepers (like myself) generally seem to prefer blow up beds - in my experience at least.

It's annoying, I'd really prefer to be in the lighter, more portable mat camp.

My blow up bed seems to have gone missing, probably chucked - it wasn't great. Any recommendations on blow up beds that are a bit better than the bottom of range £9 jobs that all tend to deflate? 

22 minutes ago, Joj said:

Yeah I think that seems to be the pattern. People who sleep on their front tend to favour mats, while back sleepers (like myself) generally seem to prefer blow up beds - in my experience at least.

It's annoying, I'd really prefer to be in the lighter, more portable mat camp.

My blow up bed seems to have gone missing, probably chucked - it wasn't great. Any recommendations on blow up beds that are a bit better than the bottom of range £9 jobs that all tend to deflate? 

I highly recommend a Thermarest NeoAir. 

Rather more than £9 I'm afraid but much much more comfortable than a blow up bed or self inflating mat. Thermally insulated unlike a blow up bed which can get very cold. Packs up very small and light too.

Bought one a couple of years ago. I'll never go back to blow up beds.

9 hours ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

I highly recommend a Thermarest NeoAir. 

Rather more than £9 I'm afraid but much much more comfortable than a blow up bed or self inflating mat. Thermally insulated unlike a blow up bed which can get very cold. Packs up very small and light too.

Bought one a couple of years ago. I'll never go back to blow up beds.

Thanks, looks like a good option. What size did you go for? I'm 5'8" so wouldn't need something giant, but suspect the small is for children? Also @HalfAnIdiot, front or back sleeper?

Weird that there seems to be nothing in the middle ground between the cheapo £10 ones and the premium £120+ options. Someone else recommended (possibly earlier in this thread) this one too: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Outwell-Dreamboat-Inflating-Outstanding-Accessories/dp/B00HP58HIU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496906357&sr=8-1&keywords=outwell+dreamboat+single .

I really want to travel as light as possible this year, but equally am trying not to overspend before I get to the festival so haven't yet made my peace with paying over $100 for an air bed. I probably will soon though.

13 minutes ago, Joj said:

Thanks, looks like a good option. What size did you go for? I'm 5'8" so wouldn't need something giant, but suspect the small is for children? Also @HalfAnIdiot, front or back sleeper?

Weird that there seems to be nothing in the middle ground between the cheapo £10 ones and the premium £120+ options. Someone else recommended (possibly earlier in this thread) this one too: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Outwell-Dreamboat-Inflating-Outstanding-Accessories/dp/B00HP58HIU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496906357&sr=8-1&keywords=outwell+dreamboat+single .

I really want to travel as light as possible this year, but equally am trying not to overspend before I get to the festival so haven't yet made my peace with paying over $100 for an air bed. I probably will soon though.

Alpkit do good sleeping mats. Both self inflating and inflating ones available. https://www.alpkit.com/featured/sleeping-mats

Not a bargain as such,  but it never occurred to me until this week that my normal travel mirror is glass and if they are doing more robust bag searches....  I couldn't see any decent non glass mirrors, yes they are cheap, but they seemed very small.  Then I found this,  it hasn't arrived yet, so I will report back.  But I like the fact it opens out. http://magicmirroruk.com/  I ordered the mini from QVC.