The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Yeah, I wasn't moaning myself - if anything I was 'putting it out there on the chance that it might register with somebody. I always encourage travel to younger people. Maybe I shouldn't, but I do. 

Sorry - definitely didn't think you were moaning btw - please let me make that clear!!! Hope you didn't think that! :wub:

Edited by semmtexx

25 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

No, all good this end - I didn't think that you thought that I was moaning.  My mistake for not expressing myself clearly enough. :)

Phew! Normal service resumed. Move along please! :-D

• 6 months later...
11 hours ago, Michaels denim shorts said:

Probably a bit early and i couldn’t find the specific alcohol thread but this is the bargain of the year for a rum drinker like me

70cl standard size Morgan’s spiced @ Iceland going at £7.25 in Dorset, cleaned out my locals. Also bells whiskey at the same price ?

9682957A-0B0D-4CE2-B513-80436579DB0C.jpeg

How? Surely there is meant to be a 1 infront of that price. I might check out my nearest later.

19 hours ago, Michaels denim shorts said:

Probably a bit early and i couldn’t find the specific alcohol thread but this is the bargain of the year for a rum drinker like me

70cl standard size Morgan’s spiced @ Iceland going at £7.25 in Dorset, cleaned out my locals. Also bells whiskey at the same price ?

9682957A-0B0D-4CE2-B513-80436579DB0C.jpeg

You'd be genuinely lucky to get a half bottle at that price here in Scotland.

They're looking after our health..bless em.

39 minutes ago, brandycoke said:

You'd be genuinely lucky to get a half bottle at that price here in Scotland.

They're looking after our health..bless em.

Is it true (or an unholy rumour) that they haven't taxed Buckfast?  What on earth is going on with you folk with taxing the bollocks out of drink. The fucking bunch of (probably hypocritical) weigh anchors that came up with that one, should be incarcerated in a mental institute. 

5 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Is it true (or an unholy rumour) that they haven't taxed Buckfast?  What on earth is going on with you folk with taxing the bollocks out of drink. The fucking bunch of (probably hypocritical) weigh anchors that came up with that one, should be incarcerated in a mental institute. 

Hi Yog, yes think you're right about the Buckfast thing there , the idea is that we have less alcoholics  here, when infact they'll just find another source.(probably Buckfast)

Formerly cheap vodka like Glens is now the same price as Smirnoff , so bit of a no brainer if you drink vodka.

I see a business opportunity for us here, you be the brains ,and i'll do the rest,...or the other way around ,whatever. ?

51 minutes ago, brandycoke said:

Hi Yog, yes think you're right about the Buckfast thing there , the idea is that we have less alcoholics  here, when infact they'll just find another source.(probably Buckfast)

Formerly cheap vodka like Glens is now the same price as Smirnoff , so bit of a no brainer if you drink vodka.

I see a business opportunity for us here, you be the brains ,and i'll do the rest,...or the other way around ,whatever. ?

I must say that I don't envy you brandycoke.  It's politics gone mad. Like off the scale mad. I could give an example of how mad it is, but you're already there, so there's no need. 

In terms of profiteering, you really don't need my assistance - especially as I don't live near the border. The chance to profiteer from this situation is guaranteed. That it will affect the Scottish tourist business negatively is also guaranteed.  Makes you wonder what 'forces' were behind this all? 

All the best. :)

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

Just giving this topic a boost in the hope someone can help me (us) find a new festival tent...

Ideally: 3 bedrooms, sewn in ground sheet and decent level of waterproofing. 

Thanks in advance!!

some good deals at millets - half price with extra 20% off in June

https://www.millets.co.uk/tents-camping/osa:view-sale-items/

Edited by lazzareo
link added
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

Just giving this topic a boost in the hope someone can help me (us) find a new festival tent...

Ideally: 3 bedrooms, sewn in ground sheet and decent level of waterproofing. 

Thanks in advance!!

Quechua make some reasonably priced tents that are pretty popular at festivals. This look an almost exact match for your specification, you wouldn't want to be taking it to Everest Base Camp but should be fine for a traditional festival downpour?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-63-family-tent-6-man-id_8330639.html

Decathlon are "always" doing offers so keep your eye out for discount codes and sales.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are looking for a lightweight packable camping chair, Aldi are doing a very reasonably priced one from Thursday.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/ultra-light-camping-chair/p/083364224516600

I've not tried the Aldi version, but my generic Chinese version has lasted several years and has been great.  I can't imagine the Aldi one will be any less well made.

Also some pop up tents, head torches, trolley etc.

• Upvote 1

On 6/17/2018 at 6:16 PM, Rumblestripe said:

Quechua make some reasonably priced tents that are pretty popular at festivals. This look an almost exact match for your specification, you wouldn't want to be taking it to Everest Base Camp but should be fine for a traditional festival downpour?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-63-family-tent-6-man-id_8330639.html

Decathlon are "always" doing offers so keep your eye out for discount codes and sales.

16kg! <faints> nice tent though

16 hours ago, deepkittycaz said:

Speaking of Aldi, I bought one of the folding trollies today, (in super early prep for next year) 

https://www.aldi.co.uk/adventuridge-festival-trolley/p/083671219165900

Is it any good, or have I just wasted a tenner? ?

I hate to say it but I think you've wasted a tenner.  It's good for carrying light stuff but that journey from car to camp - you will need something stronger IMHO 

• Upvote 1

Speaking of Aldi, I bought one of the folding trollies today, (in super early prep for next year) 

If you want / need a second opinion, then I too would say that you've just wasted a £10. It's a very cheap copy of a fishing trolley, and looks like it has solid plastic wheels. You need something with pneumatic tryres, in order for the frame to stand a chance of surviving the journey. Honestly, if you take that trolley, you'll regret it.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, lazzareo said:

I hate to say it but I think you've wasted a tenner.  It's good for carrying light stuff but that journey from car to camp - you will need something stronger IMHO 

Yeah, don't load all your beer on that unless you want to carry it half the way there. A wise man once said, "The road to enlightenment is littered with the wreckage of cheap trolleys."

You can see each year which had an offer on as you walk past the carcasses. In 2016 Asda had a four wheeled one on offer, many, many of them didn't make it through the mud.

I've got one of these and it's never given me any trouble. £45 quid but money well spent.

off-roader-heavy-duty-festival-trolley-2

Edited by Gnomicide
  • Upvote 1

For what it's worth.. When a trolley says that it has a (say) 25kg weight capacity/limit like that Aldi one, you need to consider that they've calculated that based on it being used in perfect conditions - ie a perfectly flat floor around an office or wherever. By the time you take it on to a festival site where you're dragging it over rough farmland (and at Glastonbury, potentially a long distance) you need to cut the weight limit at least in half to come to the actual usable number.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/the-handy-thgt-garden-trolley-small-109-x-50-x-25cm/7098d#_=p

this is a bit dear but I have had one since 2009 and it has been used at 20 odd festivals inc 8 Glastonbury. Dream machine for tents, booze and a bench seat at the tent. The business. 

6 minutes ago, deepkittycaz said:

Wow, a couple of those are massive! ? I'm planning to use one for carrying a 2-man tent, sleeping bag and roll mat. Rucksack should be good for everything else. And I have to be able to get it on a train/coach. I nearly killed myself carrying everything last year!

I'd keep an eye on ebay for a second hand good one close to you - especially in the winter months after this years festival season.