The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

I'm sure this absolutely must have been asked before, but what's everyones thoughts on the Juice Tube things from EE? Worth 20 quid?

In my first glastonbury I took an old samsung flip phone, which was awesome and lasted the whole five days with more to spare. I tried to do that last year too with a different old phone, but somehow screwed myself over by not charging it properly so it ran out of battery by Thursday afternoon (or maybe it was just shit, I'm not sure). I tried using the EE phone charge place to charge my usual smart phone, but somehow it broke my phone (god knows how) and the EE shop in Sheffield took about a month to fix it. Have tried getting the old trust Samsung back in action, but its not having much success in charging. So I think I am left with the dilemma of either forking out about 25 quid for a "new" unlocked old samsung model, or investing about the same in a Juice Tube. I know that I'm unlikely to go back to the tent from Friday lunchtime until around 8am Saturday morning, so wonder how long my phone would last (the battery is woeful) but maybe if I turn off the internet and use standard messaging instead of whatsapp it'll last a lot longer. But then, does anyone know how long the queues etc are to trade in the Juice Tubes? And are they actually any good?

All advice very welcome :)

EDIT: Having now scrolled up a few messages/pages, I'm wondering if these Aukey things are better than Juice Tubes. Being a bit of a techno phobe, I'm assuming the difference is that Aukey 20,000 will do repeated charges throughout the festival and Juice tubes less but you can swap them? Any advice on what's better?

Edited by Sasperella

11 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Basically you are right. You'll get 4 - 8 cahrges from an Aukey/Anker charger thing if it's full, depending what mAh you get. (20000 should be fine if you're not constantly on your phone and turn data off now and then). Beware of cheap unnamed ones off ebay and the like. I bought one advertised at 50000 mAh for 15 quid and it took forever to charge and then only charged my phone once.They must've known it was dodgy cos they refunded me and told me to keep it. Didn't even offer a swap/replacement. 

Cool, so Aukey/Anker sounds like a good option...and no faffing about with Juice Tubes swaps. Will keep data off. I like not knowing about the outside world when I'm at Glastonbury :)

18 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I bought the Aukey one linked to further up for 23 quid. Seems to be fine. If you're only ever gonna use them at festivals, you don't need to spend any more than 20 - 25 quid. Plus they can be used anywhere else, whereas the EE thing can't be swapped if you're just camping for the weekend somewhere in the Dales or something. 

Very true r.e. the EE thing. Gone for Aukey :)

I can highly recommend RAVPower especially for powerbanks, bought a 20100mAh one last year for glasto and have loved it ever since.

I got it very wet on holiday in April and it got a bit faulty so I emailed them and they just sent me a new one, didn't even ask for the old one back! 

1 hour ago, Bruceyy said:

I can highly recommend RAVPower especially for powerbanks, bought a 20100mAh one last year for glasto and have loved it ever since.

I got it very wet on holiday in April and it got a bit faulty so I emailed them and they just sent me a new one, didn't even ask for the old one back! 

Yeah same, I'm a heavy phone user and I took a 16750mAh one last year and it was fine. Currently testing it in work this week to see if I still get the same amount of charges out of it!

14 minutes ago, defrio29 said:

any recommendation on super lightweight folding chairs?

2 minutes ago, EamerRed said:

Wouldn't mind this myself. Ideally with a bevvie holder 

These are the ones we've bought for this year: http://www.thisisitstores.co.uk/lightweight-aluminium-camping-chairs-all.html?CAWELAID=120131830000034617&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=43660798684&CATCI=pla-303427089050&CATARGETID=120131830000038351&cadevice=m&gclid=CjwKEAjwvYPKBRCYr5GLgNCJ_jsSJABqwfw7Aaov9t-04a08NSvJQRzy1dtJ2WBHlwJ5y9k23oRF4RoC48bw_wcB

On 2017-6-13 at 0:30 PM, EamerRed said:

Yeah same, I'm a heavy phone user and I took a 16750mAh one last year and it was fine. Currently testing it in work this week to see if I still get the same amount of charges out of it!

How many charges did you get out of it previously and what phone do you have? 

2 hours ago, defrio29 said:

any recommendation on super lightweight folding chairs?

I've got one of the above helinox knockoffs, and it was a godsend last year. A bit tricky to put up at first, but you soon get the hang of it. Top tip is attach the material to the shorter legs first, as the longer ones have more flexibility. I had to put squashed beercans under the legs to stop it sinking into mud, but hopefully we won't have that problem this year!

30 minutes ago, MikeJ86 said:

How many charges did you get out of it previously and what phone do you have? 

6ish I think with some left over, and it was on an iPhone 6. I have an iPhone 7 now and I'm testing it this week to see how many I get, but I reckon it will be 6 again.

3 hours ago, MikeJ86 said:

Wheres a good place online to buy a decent waterproof/jacket? I know its not going to rain, but it does get cold in the evenings and I don't want to pack 2 jackets. Preferably somewhere they doesnt only do black/brown/green. 

I believe in the past they have had millets and cosy camper stalls ? probably the best bet ! but loads of other shops offering warm jackets but I wouldn't want to vouch for the waterproofness of them . oops didn't read the online bit !!

Edited by crazyfool1

On 13 June 2017 at 1:56 PM, Bruceyy said:

I've also just taken a punt on this sleeping bag as it's about 1/4 the bag space of my current one and I'm always too warm anyway! It arrives tomorrow, so I can let anyone curious know if it's any good..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MSYZNTH/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Interested to know if you think it's really 3 season and if measurements are accurate?

2 hours ago, MikeJ86 said:

Wheres a good place online to buy a decent waterproof/jacket? I know its not going to rain, but it does get cold in the evenings and I don't want to pack 2 jackets. Preferably somewhere they doesnt only do black/brown/green. 

http://www.regattaoutlet.co.uk/?gclid=CjwKEAjwvYPKBRCYr5GLgNCJ_jsSJABqwfw77oeFySFMRGlq70TCNwnhrurQom4wXIGaqjxKAT4PEBoCK-fw_wcB

4 hours ago, evilduck said:

I've got one of the above helinox knockoffs, and it was a godsend last year. A bit tricky to put up at first, but you soon get the hang of it. Top tip is attach the material to the shorter legs first, as the longer ones have more flexibility. I had to put squashed beercans under the legs to stop it sinking into mud, but hopefully we won't have that problem this year!

Asda are doing 2 for £10 at the moment on chairs, pretty sure they have a cup holder, not sure on weight though