The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

3 minutes ago, Laurenkfj said:

What are they like size/quality wise, would they suit a chunky bloke*?

Also what about weight to carry in?

*not me...!

As a chunky bloke I can say they're fine!

Not heavy at all to carry in but a bit annoying to carry, bad shape to put in a bag.

A first time Glastonbury person, but long term alcohol imbiber , I have an alcohol breath tester in my glove compartment.  I have only used it a couple of times after a night out and possibility of driving in the morning.

Similar to what some driving instructors use for their pupils in some places.

Gives some indication of your alcohol levels on Monday if you are driving 

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/loungair-air-lounger-d3112157?id_colour=124

Bought one of these on a whim when i was in the shop, but can i get the bastard thing to inflate?

Anyone got a any tips?

Belatedly looking at the reviews on line it seem that it isn't only me who is struggling.

Edited by tjamest

16 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Looking for a nice decent priced camping chair? Any recommendations? 

Asda are (or at least were, about a week ago) doing slightly-better-than-average ones quite cheap - Think it was 2 for 12 quid or something along those lines with a 110kg rating which is a shade better than most.

Edited by incident

I'm probably being an idiot but they do sell champing chairs at the festival dont they? Do they sell out pretty quickly?

Its an added weight I could do without coming on the coach, but I do like to have one at festivals.

1 hour ago, chazwwe said:

Looking for a nice decent priced camping chair? Any recommendations? 

Depends what you mean by 'decent priced' but the snide Chinese copies of the Helinox lightweight chairs (like this one - other makes are available https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Camping-Hiking/Moon-Lence-Ultralight-Camping-Folding/B01FM0RDSY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1495624251&sr=8-3&keywords=lightweight+camping+chair) are really good and surprisingly comfortable, and great if you are carrying them around all day as they weigh next to nothing.

On 19/05/2017 at 0:13 AM, themuel said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FH2HYCW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_Gn9j4Jjgo3AXQ

i just bought one of these, not for Glastonbury but I thought some of you may be interested. Decent solar charger (fantastic reviews) £49.99 down from £135.99. 

Im off to live in a field for two months following the festival so it'll earn its keep then hopefully! 

Just got mine - fantastic bit of kit! Thanks @themuel

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tjamest said:

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/loungair-air-lounger-d3112157?id_colour=124

Bought one of these on a whim when i was in the shop, but can i get the bastard thing to inflate?

Anyone got a any tips?

Belatedly looking at the reviews on line it seem that it isn't only me who is struggling.

So I don't have exactly that one but I do have a different brand. You either need to  run really fast while holding the opening open(like a kite) or have a decent amount of wind. Once you close it shut you roll the buckle enough times (like a giant dry-bag) until it is nice and firm. 

I brought mine to glasto last year and it was useless. Not enough wind or room to run and too high to fit in my tent. I've used it elsewhere and it can come in handy but it is difficult to inflate without a nice wind. 

1 hour ago, BluePaul said:

Depends what you mean by 'decent priced' but the snide Chinese copies of the Helinox lightweight chairs (like this one - other makes are available https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Camping-Hiking/Moon-Lence-Ultralight-Camping-Folding/B01FM0RDSY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1495624251&sr=8-3&keywords=lightweight+camping+chair) are really good and surprisingly comfortable, and great if you are carrying them around all day as they weigh next to nothing.

Totally agree with this. Fit in a small rucsac easily and so much easier to carry around.

9 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

So I don't have exactly that one but I do have a different brand. You either need to  run really fast while holding the opening open(like a kite) or have a decent amount of wind. Once you close it shut you roll the buckle enough times (like a giant dry-bag) until it is nice and firm. 

I brought mine to glasto last year and it was useless. Not enough wind or room to run and too high to fit in my tent. I've used it elsewhere and it can come in handy but it is difficult to inflate without a nice wind. 

Thanks Kate,  I've just been waving in around with no luck, so i'll try running with it and see if that works.

I was going to take it to Bearded Theory this weekend, but don't think i'll bother

3 hours ago, BluePaul said:

I bought one of the Helinox chairs last week from Millets, I was impressed with the small packing size but being pregnant the chair is too low off the floor for me :( 

Does anyone have any suggestions for lightweight chairs that are a bit higher up than the above? I appreciate the taller they are the larger the bag to carry them will be but there's not a lot I can do as I struggled to get in and out of the Helinox in my current state :huh: any help or camping tips for preggers women appreciated!

34 minutes ago, MrNash84 said:

Hi,

Have  been looking at this tent for last few days now, what are peoples thoughts? Quite a bargain at £72,25 with code. Any recommendations of anything different if not?

For 3 people to share.

http://www.millets.co.uk/tents-camping/004590-eurohike-cairns-5-deluxe-tent.html

To me it would look OK for 3 people, if you all have a rucksack each which can be stored on top of each other. If you are the type of person who brings the kitchen sink as well to the festival, then it'll be a little bit tight, in my opinion. It's a nice airy looking tent for the price. On reflection, I'm not sure that what I have said is of any use at all. Story of my life that! 

Whatever you three choose as a tent, have a good'n. :)