The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

44 minutes ago, GoonerRob said:

I was looking for a tent i could stand up in last year... ended up going with this.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/3076220

Not the lightest, but plenty of space for 2 people, plus a huge porch where you can stand, sit on chairs or whatever. 

Edit - it was £79.99 on offer when i bought it! 

The sleeping space looks a little snug for two and not that much lighter but if it goes down to £79.99 again, worth considering. 

1 hour ago, guitarbhoy1888 said:

whats everyones thoughts on a trolley like this? my idea was fill it, shrink wrap it, take the wheels off and slide into the car. get everything in one. dunno if its worth the money

http://www.sacktrucksdirect.co.uk/garden-cart-300kg-capacity.html?gclid=CN3W4deq0c8CFc8K0wodNfAG8w

Got something very similar last year, only lasted 45 mins due to the mud and poor tetris skills (it was already leaning towards the front left wheel even before setting off)  I do believe it would of been better if it wasn't 10pm and everyone wasn't so tired from the journey (14 hours)

5 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

One of my friends who is a Glastonbury festival aficionado almost had a spiritual moment when he bought one of those to lug his stuff on and off site. His words went something the lines of 'why the fuck didn't I buy one of these years ago'. That should speak volumes to you.

This will be remembered when considering. i'll wait until my dad knows he's actually going!! and then ask him his thoughts

4 hours ago, The life of Pablo said:

Got something very similar last year, only lasted 45 mins due to the mud and poor tetris skills (it was already leaning towards the front left wheel even before setting off)  I do believe it would of been better if it wasn't 10pm and everyone wasn't so tired from the journey (14 hours)

my idea is lots of shrink wrap and bungees. surely better than lugging rucksacks, crates etc on your back. 

6 hours ago, guitarbhoy1888 said:

whats everyones thoughts on a trolley like this? my idea was fill it, shrink wrap it, take the wheels off and slide into the car. get everything in one. dunno if its worth the money

http://www.sacktrucksdirect.co.uk/garden-cart-300kg-capacity.html?gclid=CN3W4deq0c8CFc8K0wodNfAG8w

I have that and until i went on the coaches, i found it very good. However don't overload it without strengthening the axle. It buckled on my second year and had to make repairs when i got home. The pneumatic tyres are very useful and have never punctured. 

However if its a muddy year then you're dragging a dead weight as the wheels will still clog with mud. Dry years though...its the bees knees.

1 hour ago, Keithy said:

I have that and until i went on the coaches, i found it very good. However don't overload it without strengthening the axle. It buckled on my second year and had to make repairs when i got home. The pneumatic tyres are very useful and have never punctured. 

However if its a muddy year then you're dragging a dead weight as the wheels will still clog with mud. Dry years though...its the bees knees.

by strengthen the axel what do you suggest doing to it? i assumed 300kg would be more than enough 

7 hours ago, guitarbhoy1888 said:

by strengthen the axel what do you suggest doing to it? i assumed 300kg would be more than enough 

I'll take a photo next time I'm round my folks garage but welded some extra plates on the axel but essentially if you load it up then it puts huge strain on the axle when you turn and mine buckled and tipped over which was mainly due to it being top heavy.

At the end of the day its still a trolley designed to carry heavy objects a short distance in someones back garden, not wheeling across several field's and uneven stoney pathways.

14 minutes ago, Keithy said:

I'll take a photo next time I'm round my folks garage but welded some extra plates on the axel but essentially if you load it up then it puts huge strain on the axle when you turn and mine buckled and tipped over which was mainly due to it being top heavy.

At the end of the day its still a trolley designed to carry heavy objects a short distance in someones back garden, not wheeling across several field's and uneven stoney pathways.

Yer I had the same issue with overloading especially with the extra strain of the mud!

15 hours ago, guitarbhoy1888 said:

As for getting it into you car...The sides come down and the handle comes off so I found it fine to get in the car with the wheels on...just reassemble and off you go

7 hours ago, Keithy said:

Actual welding in preparation for Glastonbury!

Props to Keithy! Commitment AND planning!

• Upvote 1

On 10/31/2016 at 11:20 PM, guitarbhoy1888 said:

my idea is lots of shrink wrap and bungees. surely better than lugging rucksacks, crates etc on your back. 

See, my problem with that (and I've seen it happen with mates' trolleys) is that once it inevitably breaks down you're left with all the crap and no obvious way to carry it across site as everything was loaded and reliant on the trolley.

Rucksacks might be a bit more effort, but they're a much safer option IMO.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

See, my problem with that (and I've seen it happen with mates' trolleys) is that once it inevitably breaks down you're left with all the crap and no obvious way to carry it across site as everything was loaded and reliant on the trolley.

I guess, if there are two of you though - a dead trolley that's been shrink-wrapped can then just be picked up gurney/stretcher style and you're away.

If you're on your own, then, naturally, the stretcher idea becomes a little trickier, but at least you'll have something dry to sit on while you're sobbing at the side of the path.

Edited by merago
Grammar correction

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Assuming you haven't gone overboard or have anything massively heavy like a 5 tonne tent, then it'll be fine. Just means more trips across site.

Though you do see people with laden trollies and a massive rucksack (or two) and wonder what the hell they've brought. When I've used trollies in the past, everything bar clothes and a tube of Pringles or two went on the trolley and we could have survived quite easily if the thing had broken.

Edited by Untz

11 minutes ago, Untz said:

Assuming you haven't gone overboard or have anything massively heavy like a 5 tonne tent, then it'll be fine. Just means more trips across site.

Though you do see people with laden trollies and a massive rucksack (or two) and wonder what the hell they've brought. When I've used trollies in the past, everything bar clothes and a tube of Pringles or two went on the trolley and we could have survived quite easily if the thing had broken.

I guess if you load up a trolley I'd suggest packing in rucksacks and loading those.  At least then when it does go tits up you've got a backup option.

Just now, oneeye said:

Prams are the way ahead.

Mine cost me £9 on ebay in 2010; still going strong :)

pram1.jpg

That was a real bargain buy at £9, and a cracking idea too. Although I have a very large wheelbarrow - a bit like one of these (see below) but a little larger again, I think I might look in to the pram option. Changing the effort from lifting to pushing could be the way forward.

Image result for horses + wheelbarrow

5 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

That was a real bargain buy at £9, and a cracking idea too.I think I might look in to the pram option. Changing the effort from lifting to pushing could be the way forward.

It's magic; pneumatic, easily detachable, steerable wheels, designed for robust terrain.

I use plenty of bungy straps when loading to aid stability, and away you go.

It has easily coped in all conditions; you simply push it along (on the level) one handed, leaving the other hand free for cider :)

Agree with Untz though, that you ideally need to be travelling by car; a tad cumbersome by coach I would imagine.

Just now, oneeye said:

It's magic; pneumatic, easily detachable, steerable wheels, designed for robust terrain.

I use plenty of bungy straps when loading to aid stability, and away you go.

It has easily coped in all conditions; you simply push it along (on the level) one handed, leaving the other hand free for cider :)

Agree with Untz though, that you ideally need to be travelling by car; a tad cumbersome by coach I would imagine.

I think that you have just sold the idea to me oneeye. I think I'll sell the huge wheelbarrow and invest the money I get from that in to purchasing one of them snazzy prams like you've got. Imagine if everybody did the same - it would look like there was a big time nanny's convention going on on the Wednesday.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=lp_11621223031_gbph_tit_m-6_47d6_678403a6?rh=i%3Ashoes%2Cn%3A11621223031%2Cn%3A11621223031&ie=UTF8&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&node=11621223031

Various walking boots/shoes have some offers on the them this week for amazons black friday week of deals. No idea if any of them are actually any good (shoe or deal) but thought I'd put it here anyway

You're bloody welcome.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for sharing the Amazon deal! :)

They may be untried and untested, but those Hudson boots are a steal, so I've ordered some to try and test, lol. will report back when they arrive. Worst case, they can go back. But even if not for Glasto they will likely come in handy. 

12 hours ago, Kalcius said:

Thanks for sharing the Amazon deal! :)

They may be untried and untested, but those Hudson boots are a steal, so I've ordered some to try and test, lol. will report back when they arrive. Worst case, they can go back. But even if not for Glasto they will likely come in handy. 

No worries.

Theres tons of stuff that could be useful for glasto going through various offers on Amazon this week.

For example, this looks like a great deal for a very good portable charger. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EC-Technology-Portable-Bluetooth-Headphones-x/dp/B01A5FTW6C/ref=gbps_img_m-8_d94e_c1593383?smid=A997R38YICSI3&pf_rd_p=4d3ae7cf-3400-4f74-a439-6d7051a8d94e&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=161428031&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=QKXJVVBCN37YMRQ14FC5