The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

4 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

Yep, I wouldn't buy one but it may carry a few cans of cider...

Honestly I think it could just about manage to carry a hat, I was really cross when the whole thing fell to pieces.  
Charm x

1 hour ago, jumbomcnutt said:

The Anker portable charger (charges any smart phone with USB lead up to 5 times) is now just £20 on amazon: http://amzn.to/25anRxx 

+ 1 for this, I had a previous chunky Anker one that worked great but after repeated use (and poor care by myself) it didn't quite do the job properly. Got this one to replace it-both smaller and bigger capacity. Have a HTC One M8 and I think it probably charges it from 0 to 100 more than 5 times. All you need for the whole festival really, total bargain at £20. 

Having said that, there's a 20000mAh one for the same price also on Amazon, RRP £80

https://www.amazon.co.uk/20000mAh-Compact-External-Portable-Motorola/dp/B015R1ERXC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463965010&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=portable+charger&psc=1

if you want to stick with the anker brand you can pay £4 for the extra 6100mAh (also more compact than above)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Compact-20000mAh-Portable-Anker-PowerCore/dp/B00VJSGT2A/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1463965010&sr=8-5&keywords=portable+charger

Hello, does anyone have any advice for a sleeping mat? Trying to get something we don't have to inflate but something a bit better than those thin roll mats? Any thoughts? Also a mate of mine is considering buying some walkie talkies to bring along, has anyone done this before? Does it seem like a good idea? 

2 hours ago, brownso said:

Hello, does anyone have any advice for a sleeping mat? Trying to get something we don't have to inflate but something a bit better than those thin roll mats? Any thoughts? Also a mate of mine is considering buying some walkie talkies to bring along, has anyone done this before? Does it seem like a good idea? 

I have the Klymit Static V2, it's ultralight weight, weighing just 463g, and it's packed size is 7.62 cm x 20.3 cm, so it fits in my rucksack. You have to inflate it, but after about 10 breathes its up.

1 hour ago, calcium_kid said:

I have the Klymit Static V2, it's ultralight weight, weighing just 463g, and it's packed size is 7.62 cm x 20.3 cm, so it fits in my rucksack. You have to inflate it, but after about 10 breathes its up.

I have the one from Aldi available Thursday 5cm thick and only £15 very comfy and great value 

On 15 May 2016 at 4:29 PM, aforest said:

Inflatable mattresses are half price in Tesco. Got a double for £7.50 

Stumbled upon those and grabbed on last week. We were going to get our Air bed once we got there but too good a bargain to miss that one. 

14 minutes ago, paddyclark said:

I have the one from Aldi available Thursday 5cm thick and only £15 very comfy and great value 

I managed to get mine on Massdrop for $54 dollars (£37?). As I have to fly over, and carry all my stuff around with me when I’m in the UK, the weight of it was a major draw. I need to get one now for the Miss, is the Aldi one light too? If so I’ll have to check it out when I’m back.

37 minutes ago, calcium_kid said:

I managed to get mine on Massdrop for $54 dollars (£37?). As I have to fly over, and carry all my stuff around with me when I’m in the UK, the weight of it was a major draw. I need to get one now for the Miss, is the Aldi one light too? If so I’ll have to check it out when I’m back.

Lidl have one on sale from last Thursday that is also 5cm thick. I checked it out yesterday and it's weight was 1.6kg. I'd imagine the Aldi one is the same kind of weight. 

On 20/05/2016 at 9:06 PM, MilkyJoe said:

Trolley - £9.99

the 50kg load looks a little ambitious mind...

https://www.aldi.co.uk/folding-trolley/p/070263027152200

The wife and have a little competition every year on arrival to be the first to spot the remains of a broken trolley. Collapsible and folding trolleys do just what they say... at the worst possible time.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, FestiZebra said:

Can anyone recommend something similar to a "thermarest neoair" which is more around the £10-30 range?

Cheers :) 

Surprisingly there doesn't seem to be any cheap chinese knock offs despite these types of mattresses being around for quite a while. Go Outdoors do the neoair venture for 49.99 which is the cheapest you will find one new. I have one that I use when i go camping with the wife (she gets my xl neoair camper!) and apart from being a bit smaller it does the same job.

2 hours ago, lukemack said:

Anyone seen good walking boots £60- £120? My old ones are finished

I bought my last pair off ebay - got a pair of Brasher Hillmaster leather / goretex boots for ~£40 compared to £120 in the shops.  One of the older ones made in Portugal as well, instead of the current Chinese made ones.  They were used, but not much, and in good condition.

Chances are you could get a 'new' pair of your current boots, from someone who thought they were going to take up walking for a hobby, but has only worn them out a couple of times, and for next to nothing.

• Upvote 1