The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

On 3/19/2016 at 0:14 AM, mandolin said:

I got one of these for a walking holiday.  Easily carried a fleece, kagool, big bottle of water, camera, purse, phone, wipes, sunglasses, keys and other (smallish) stuff that I can't remember.  Lots of pockets - handy as long as you remember what you've put in which one!  Main part of the bag is completely secure as the zip is against the body.  Really comfy to carry too - the strap is padded and seems to be non-slip.  At 60 quid it's a bit expensive but if you happen to know someone (or could PM someone ;)) who has bought one before you can get it in this somewhat strange green/yellow colour for 30 - lots of other colours if you're prepared to pay full-price.  

44215-GG-2.jpg?itok=VQpB4shK

I get a bad back from time to time, so this looks great.  Also, the Healthy Back Bags website has a clearance page, where you can pick up their bags for half price.  I've just put my order in, so should be able to let you all know if it's any good after a couple of weeks or so.

• Upvote 2

On 3/22/2016 at 5:05 AM, Peroni said:

Other thing that's useful is taking a small s hook.  You can use that to hang your bags /stuff on the back of the long drop door.... 

On 3/22/2016 at 11:33 AM, thatcrazypenguin said:

that is genius, the best ideas are always so simple! nothing worse then picking up your bag to find the bottom of it covered in piss 

or put the door lock through your bag strap :)

• Upvote 1

Just now, Curlygirl said:

I have this tent HMV. Haven't put it up yet but it looks ideal! 

Hoping to try it out next weekend. Will let you know how we get on. Might need something to distinguish them or I might end up curled beside you in a toxic state. 

On 28/03/2016 at 2:51 PM, Chazwozza said:

I get a bad back from time to time, so this looks great.  Also, the Healthy Back Bags website has a clearance page, where you can pick up their bags for half price.  I've just put my order in, so should be able to let you all know if it's any good after a couple of weeks or so.

This just arrived:

It's good.  Very good.  V comfortable to carry with stuff in it.  Loads of internal pockety things and a keyring clipping thing.  Looks cool too.  Happy face...

1 hour ago, Chazwozza said:

This just arrived:

It's good.  Very good.  V comfortable to carry with stuff in it.  Loads of internal pockety things and a keyring clipping thing.  Looks cool too.  Happy face...

That looks/sounds great.  Do you know what size of bag is shown in this picture?  It looks just the right size but I can't work out from the site which size I need to get.

I'm considering getting a small and cheap pop-up tent to put up as close as I can to the middle of the festival.  This will be mainly for storing booze and chairs and various other small essentials so that I don't have to carry them around everywhere all day.  I know that people will say to just use the lock ups, however another benefit of this is that I can get a bog in a bag (http://www.geartogo.co.uk/) to avoid toilet queues if they happen to be extra long.  

Do people normally do this / what are general thoughts on doing this?  I'm staying in campervan west this year so want to limit the amount of trips back and forth to the camper throughout the days.  I also plan to use the tent as a meet up spot for friends so its not necessarily taking up unnecessary space.

• Downvote 11

8 minutes ago, WallaceHigh said:

I'm considering getting a small and cheap pop-up tent to put up as close as I can to the middle of the festival.  This will be mainly for storing booze and chairs and various other small essentials so that I don't have to carry them around everywhere all day.  I know that people will say to just use the lock ups, however another benefit of this is that I can get a bog in a bag (http://www.geartogo.co.uk/) to avoid toilet queues if they happen to be extra long.  

Do people normally do this / what are general thoughts on doing this?  I'm staying in campervan west this year so want to limit the amount of trips back and forth to the camper throughout the days.  I also plan to use the tent as a meet up spot for friends so its not necessarily taking up unnecessary space.

I'd say that makes you a selfish, self-centred, lazy twat. But I'll let others draw their own conclusions.

• Upvote 11

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

I'd say that makes you a selfish, self-centred, lazy twat. But I'll let others draw their own conclusions.

Bit harsh, thought I'd get grief for posting this, but it's only a thought.  I'd essentially buy the smallest tent I could find, so it's not like I'm putting up a gazebo thing like a lot of people seem to do.

You're still taking up a space that someone else could use because you'd rathet shit in a box than use the longdrops? 

Want to store stuff - use the lock ups

Want a place to meet friends - use anywhere

Want a place to go the toilet - use the toilets. 

12 minutes ago, WallaceHigh said:

1. Lock ups are there for this reason. 

2. If the queues are long, will it really be quicker to go to your tent, rather than just waiting, or going to another set of toilets? 

3. Why do you need a tent as a meeting point? What's wrong with a thousand other places on site that don't take up camping space?