The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

Change to colour to white and it's cheaper (nicer too?), but then as mentioned for other purchases, need to buy something else to take total to back over £20.

Argh how did I miss that.. oh well, probably saved me money in the long run as I would have spent tons on that something to take it over £20. Probably would have bought a laptop or something

Battery Powered Airbed pump in half price sale in Argos for 'bout £6.09 (minus batteries) http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3400195.htm Is what i have got myself for this year.

how big are these things? have always opted to just blow my bed up myself due to lack of space, but if they aren't too bulky i'll definitely be grabbing one

how big are these things? have always opted to just blow my bed up myself due to lack of space, but if they aren't too bulky i'll definitely be grabbing one

Looks like it takes 4 D batteries so it must be reasonably big (and probably heavy). I'd stick to a foot pump, although you can't argue with convenience.

Are these any better than Berocca? Once you've had a pint of Berocca you're pretty dehydrated aren't you?

I prefer these to berocca. Hydrate better great for hangover. Usually put 2 tablets in a litre of water.. Works a treat and you quickly hydrate. Edited by Bernieray

looking at buying some electrolyte/rehydration salts (like diaorolyte but cheaper?) - does anyone have a clue on where to get these either in powder form to dissolve in some water or tab form to take in the event of / prevent dehydration?

sort of camping essential I guess if you're in a hot tent!!!

Electrolytes Plus - 180 tabs for £8.49 which makes less than 5p per tablet and contain many times more electrolytes than most

Take a tab and 500ml water, works a charm. I often take two and a pint of water last/first thing on the basis I've probably been doing sod all but drinking for the late night and will be salt-deprived too. Should have taken them to work today tbh, was suffering a bit by the end

AMAZING find on the phone charger, that's a great a value

A mate of mine swears by the Anker brand, they're supposed to be good. I got this Breett one myself, have been using it for the last year or so and it's pretty decent, holds a good charge (more than enough to charge two phones) and you can always drop them off at a property lockup tent to get them recharged during the day when people aren't charging their phones too.

Can't give a practical review of it though, I bought it for last year's Glasto, charged it up the night before and forgot to put it in my backpack to bring it with me. Typical. Still, in use since then it's been great.

Anker gear is brilliant, so is the companies customer service, have shit loads of their stuff and none of it has let me down but if you register then they email you and let you know that any problems and they will sort it no quibble.

A tad bigger than 2 fists in size and the weight is almost all the 4 D batteries so pretty comparable to a foot pump. I took a foot pump last year and have no issues substituting this year, might even be a bit of a space saver.

A tad bigger than 2 fists in size and the weight is almost all the 4 D batteries so pretty comparable to a foot pump. I took a foot pump last year and have no issues substituting this year, might even be a bit of a space saver.

sounds good! i've spent a silly amount of time blowing up my mattress with my mouth the past few years as i had zero room for a pump, but seeing as i'm going the trolley route this year this may be a good investment!

just use an empty 2 pint milk bottle or fabric conditioner bottle

Mate the last two times I've been I've pissed in a massive empty water container and by day 3 or 4 opening that fucker and pissing in it absolutely stinks big time. Then if I have to empty it I don't wanna tip out a few litres of piss onto the grass by my tent, I'd go to the toilet to do it, defeating the point of my initial problem. Never used these travel John's they sound pretty good to be fair when you can't be doing with the walk or you're far too wrecked. Edited by Stokesy10

I believe the suggestion is that you'd use it in the night for emergency only, empty it in the morning at the toilets and return it to the tent, it's purpose being to save the dash in the night, not the journey altogether.

Perfect post.

I believe the suggestion is that you'd use it in the night for emergency only, empty it in the morning at the toilets and return it to the tent, it's purpose being to save the dash in the night, not the journey altogether.

Good post. Remember the clean up crew go through all the rubbish left behind. Don't let them find your full bottles of yellow smelly pee folks!

They work like super absorbent cat litter, but if that's not what you meant then you put your peepee in it and go, don't try and eat the contents...

Haha, I know the basics! Just don't understand how the science behind it works, but then that's the same for pretty much anything that involves any form of science. Fuck you Science!