Should my friend let her 16 year old son and his friends go?

Guest SERRIDGER

i would say 16 is too young, my first was when i was 17 and just finished school. also went with about 6 of us and camped with my older cousin and alot of his mates so its a big group.

i'd say depends how many are going

that was T in the park though.

leeds seemed alot calmer last year, everyone seemed really nice and there wasnt really any knobends ...

Edited by guitarbhoy1888

I first did the weekend when I was 15. I'm biased of course, but I really enjoyed myself and didn't have any problems. Went with a few friends and had a blast. My mum went one day and we saw The Cure, it wasn't like a rave for 4 nights, get drunk/ high etc. kind of weekend (for me anyway) It's the first taste of independence for a lot of teenagers, and technically her son can leave home, marry, etc. so surely they can go to a festival? Also, great way to celebrate GCSE results

I went to Rock Werchter (with 1 mate), High Voltage (alone) and Reading (with a mate) when I was 16...Then again I had done a lot of research on the festivals, what to do/not to do etc

Then again, I don't drink, and my parents know that, so there were no issues nor concerns...

It depends on them and their attitudes I guess. Are they idiots? Have they ever been to a festival before? Ever been camping? Do they have a reasonable amount savvy or are they the kind of teenagers who leave an iPad and £400 in a tent for a day and are amazed when they come back and it's been nicked?

R&L pretty much relies on 16 year-olds so there are a lot of them about, they won't be out of place. Like Dead throne says all they need to do is some reserach and know what to expect.

Me and my mate went last year to Reading for the weekend when we were both 15 and were absolutely fine, had an awesome time. Common sense is what matters and if they're the kind of people who are mature and independent and have been by themselves before then they should be fine. If possible I'd try to find out if anyone going has an older brother or cousin who is over 18 going just to make sure they're safe.

I went to Reading for the first time when i was 16...8 of us for most of the weekend however only 3 of us went up on the Wednesday..

I'm biased obviously but i had no problems at all.

I suppose its better for a group of 16/17 year olds to get their first taste of independence at a place in Britain, in an atmosphere of thousands of people in the same situation, instead of a year later in somewhere like Kavos or Zante..

• 1 month later...

Definitely! I first went with a group of girls a month after I turned 16 and it was brilliant. They're bound to make friends and people are very very respectful, like they won't let anything bad happen to them at all. My friend got lost the first night and was ridiculously drunk but some random teenagers helped her come back to us and then we were friends for the weekend :)

• 3 weeks later...

I was 15 at my first festival and it was just me, my friend of the same age and our friend a year older, and it was T In The Park as well, everything was great, no hassle or problems.

From my experience at Leeds last year it's a much friendlier, easy going environment than TITP, so yeah in my opinion they'd get on just fine :)