Emperors field ?

Guest ramragon

Where is everyone planning on camping this year then and do you think the Emerors field is good value for money at £27.50 (including charges) on top of your ticket price ?

Personally I don't mind paying a bit extra and obviously considering the emperors tickets will be sold out by lunchtime on the first day it seems other people think the same, I know they had to change fields for emperors a couple of days before the festival last year but I'm hoping this years field doesnt have the deep tractor tracks, pot holes and pools of water dotted around . Obviously a lot of this depends on the weather as well which was grim on the run up to last years festival.

I thought pootopia worked quite well last year once I got over the shock that I was really just doing whatever in a wheely bin, plus a few more empties wouldn't have gone a miss as they were brimming by sunday night ! The showers seemed to go down well as did parking 100 yards from the tent or so. Felt sorry for the poor sods dragging all their stuff up the hill towards general camping !

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi we (wife, 2 kids &I) came last year which was my first ever festival where I discovered that alcohol can cure a fear of tents. We were in the family area but have got tickets for emporers this year. I really did not enjoy the walk from the car field despite us getting in early doors on the Thursday and being pretty close to the gate so the closer car this year was v appealing and I'm presuming the toilets have for to be better? Just waiting for the line-up now though not expecting it to be as good as last year, feeder,James,shed7, just amazing and we're now hooked!

Hello mate, welcome to the forum

You'll find the walk a big difference when taking stuff from the car to the field, even if you do a few trips its never that far, I can't see them resorting back to the previous policy of parking next to your tent so I guess the way it was last years the best we'll get.

As for the toilets, you'll be hard pushed to find festival toilets that suit everyone. The Emperors ones were a million times better than the arena ones though ! You just took a cup of sawdust from the bucket to throw down the wheely bin after you'd used it ! Doesnt sound the best but it was pretty odour free compared to the usual portaloo option !

Emperors tends to be more family orientated and a pretty quiet in comparison to the general camping, if you like you're sleep then you've made the better choice.

Edited by ramragon

If the prices are the Same as the early bird offer then it was £25 for an adult plus £2.50 booking fee, child over 12 was £12.50 plus £1.25 booking and free under 12. You need an emperor's ticket for everyone staying with you not just one for the tent.

Not sure if there will be a price rise on the tickets though when they are released

Edited by ramragon

Where is everyone planning on camping this year then and do you think the Emperors field is good value for money at £27.50 (including charges) on top of your ticket price ?

Personally I don't mind paying a bit extra and obviously considering the emperors tickets will be sold out by lunchtime on the first day it seems other people think the same, I know they had to change fields for emperors a couple of days before the festival last year but I'm hoping this years field doesnt have the deep tractor tracks, pot holes and pools of water dotted around . Obviously a lot of this depends on the weather as well which was grim on the run up to last years festival.

I thought pootopia worked quite well last year once I got over the shock that I was really just doing whatever in a wheely bin, plus a few more empties wouldn't have gone a miss as they were brimming by sunday night ! The showers seemed to go down well as did parking 100 yards from the tent or so. Felt sorry for the poor sods dragging all their stuff up the hill towards general camping !

Emperors Field was excellent in 2011...you could park next to your tent and therefore save loads of time carting things from the car like in 2012.

The only issue in 2011 was down to people camping in the fire lanes - they could have caused carnage.

The stewards didn't help as they wouldn't dare say boo to a goose....the un-thoughtful punters just pitched where they wanted and disregarded any instructions.

I feel that in 2012 the facilities Emperors Field were oversold - the showers, whilst double the quantity, were locked up for a good third of the day leading to massive queues when they were open.

Pootopia was a massive let-down....they were still being built on the Thursday and the 'flushing sawdust' didn't arrive until late on Friday.

Fair enough, the weather leading up to the festival didn't help, but I think the marketing of Emperors Field needs addressing.

This year, I'm not paying an extra £25 per person.

I agree Mick, 2011 when you could park your car next to your tent was brilliant. In 2012 the Emperors field was oversubscribed. But more worrying for me was the increase in people less considerate to those around them.

Having said that, I would still pay the extra £25 to be in the Emperors field. In 2010 I camped in the Family area. Whilst most people were considerate of those around them, there were a few groups of people who should have been in the normal camping. They didn't get back to their tents until 3 or 4 am and then stayed up partying until 6 or 7. Security came round once, but as soon as they had gone the music went back on. When they were asked to keep the noise down, they just got very aggressive and louder, pissing on peoples tents etc. When you have teenage daughters sleeping in a different tent to you, £25 per person is a small price to pay, even when it is a large increase on the £10 for fewer benefits. But I also appreciate that for a family of 4, an additional £100 can prevent them from attending.

As far as toilets and pootopia are concerned. I went to Beautiful Days for the first time last year. They just had your normal portaloos, but for gents then had urinals in portacabins, like at events in Hyde Park. I’ve got to say, despite much worse weather conditions, the toilets were better on the Sunday night that they are on the Thursday at Kendal. Just shows it can be done.

I stayed in Emperors last year before I realised the location had changed. I decided to pay extra for this in 2012 since I'd stayed in general before and fancied the 'luxury' of having a few more decent toilets and free hot showers. I don't drive and didn't think it would be an issue walking to emperors having seen the proximity to the previous entrance in '11, but last year we walked all the way to the back of the site. Decent choice if you've got your car with you though and fancy getting away from all the groups of teens. Although saying that, camping in general in '11 wasn't all that bad as we appeared to be in the quieter area, but since the capacity increase, general camping seemed to be rather over packed.

Also found that if you stay in Emperors, your bag doesn't get checked on entrance to the arena ;)

kc12 was our first ever festival, and we loved it so are going back for more, we're in Emperors and I'm hoping it will be worth the extra money we've paid.

We stayed in family last year, but it ended up being general and we basically got hardly any sleep, and our daughter had to listen to some conversations that i'd rather she hadn't! it didn't spoil anything though, and then we met people from Emperors who sang it's praises.

Don't think I could do that queue to get in again either, we stood in that for nigh on 3 hours, then when the pushing in started it got a bit close to fisty cuffs, stewards needed there maybe?

Can't wait to see the line-up....

Hello and welcome to the forum,

That is one advantage of the emperors, any queues you're in will be spent in the car, it was slow moving to start with last year but it seemed to speed up after a while, then you've just got the short trek to where you camp. No real trauma though

By midnight or so the emperors is normally fairly quiet, you still get people chatting but it doesnt tend to be overly loud or lewd. if you want a decent sleep i'll give you a tip, dont camp close to the showers !

Edited by ramragon

Has anyone stayed in the bell tents, if so do you think it was worth the money and are they pretty close to the arena entry? From what i can work out they are in the Emperor field and include passes to the field and car parking fee. The obvious plus of not having to muck about with carrying and putting up a tent also appeals.

The bell tents were In the field next to the emperors last year with their own toilets and what looked like somewhere to buy a cuppa or bacon sarnie in the morning, to get in. The arena you had Maybes a couple of hundred yards walk depending on where you were in the field, this took you through the entry point next to the riot jazz tent.

The price of the bell tent includes emperors passes but you've still gotta buy your festival ticket on top. I've never stayed in them personally as I've got my own gear but if you don't it'll save a lot of hassle

Edited by ramragon

Has anyone stayed in the bell tents, if so do you think it was worth the money and are they pretty close to the arena entry?

From what i can work out they are in the Emperor field and include passes to the field and car parking fee. The obvious plus of not having to muck about with carrying and putting up a tent also appeals.