Glasgow Summer Sessions

Stuart1000

I know all about it, I used to prey on weegie girlies during the Glasgae Fair :) It's a long time since I moved away, do they still come down in these days of boarded up high streets and cheap flights abroad?

Personally I loved the guitar solo but realise it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Hahah! Aye they do, you would think they would be off to better places but an hour to drink on the train makes Ayr seem not such a bad idea I guess.

The first time thought it was fun for a bit, but at Download it just sucked the life out of me. I can understand why they do it, but jeez. Helps they have Highway to Hell to bounce back after it though.

Hahah! Aye they do, you would think they would be off to better places but an hour to drink on the train makes Ayr seem not such a bad idea I guess.

The first time thought it was fun for a bit, but at Download it just sucked the life out of me. I can understand why they do it, but jeez. Helps they have Highway to Hell to bounce back after it though.

Balado is accessible for Edinburgh, Fife, Perth, Dundee, Stirling, and Glasgow commuters, whereas Ayr is a long journey for those of us in the East Coast who don't do camping, and like to go home to clean beds and toilets.

If T were moving to Ayr it would downsize considerably.

Edited by frankblack

Balado is accessible for Edinburgh, Fife, Perth, Dundee, Stirling, and Glasgow commuters, whereas Ayr is a long journey for those of us in the East Coast who don't do camping, and like to go home to clean beds and toilets.

Agreed, as a glasgow boy balado is the perfect location, very close to central for all of Scotland, further away from those pesky English :)

Ayrshire would be shite, inbred mutants down that way....

Oh I know! Was more just talking about how it gets infested with the Glasgow types during the summer, not so much T.

Easy tiger, that did bring a genuine smile though... :)

Taken as it was intended.

Trying to think of anywhere in Ayrshire that could cope with T even on a smaller scale. They had some big raves at Prestwick airport back in the day but they have planes now !

Think Radio1 once used Irvine beach park. All the other big parks are a bit too residential I would have thought so perhaps they are thinking of taking it on to a beach like they do at Brighton etc.

Someone better tell them that its always pissing down in these parts.

Can anyone confirm that Chvrches are on Sunday ?

Edited by comfortablynumb1910

Taken as it was intended.

Trying to think of anywhere in Ayrshire that could cope with T even on a smaller scale. They had some big raves at Prestwick airport back in the day but they have planes now !

Think Radio1 once used Irvine beach park. All the other big parks are a bit too residential I would have thought so perhaps they are thinking of taking it on to a beach like they do at Brighton etc.

Someone better tell them that its always pissing down in these parts.

Can anyone confirm that Chvrches are on Sunday ?

Their Facebook page has them playing on Sunday....

Their Facebook page has them playing on Sunday....

Cheers.

Further thoughts on this rumour of moving into Ayrshire territory. We have been at the last few Wickermans. The date of this years festival was dictated by T in the Park. Shared stage equipment etc. There was a story doing the rounds last year that the people behind T were taking a stake in Wickerman. Big surprise last year when they had Scissor Sisters. Not everyone`s cup of tea but massive booking for the size of festival and had been on main stage at Glastonbury a couple of years before etc. Wickerman sold a load of extra tickets on the back of it. This year they announced Primal Scream months before they normally announce anyone. Perhaps T are thinking of expanding the Wickerman site. Advantages would be that it is a huge site with loads of empty land to expand into plus they already have dance tents licenced till 5am and unusually they have a dj still playing on the main stage till 2am.

100% speculation on my part and yes I realise it`s dumfries and galloway not Ayrshire !

Cheers.

Further thoughts on this rumour of moving into Ayrshire territory. We have been at the last few Wickermans. The date of this years festival was dictated by T in the Park. Shared stage equipment etc. There was a story doing the rounds last year that the people behind T were taking a stake in Wickerman. Big surprise last year when they had Scissor Sisters. Not everyone`s cup of tea but massive booking for the size of festival and had been on main stage at Glastonbury a couple of years before etc. Wickerman sold a load of extra tickets on the back of it. This year they announced Primal Scream months before they normally announce anyone. Perhaps T are thinking of expanding the Wickerman site. Advantages would be that it is a huge site with loads of empty land to expand into plus they already have dance tents licenced till 5am and unusually they have a dj still playing on the main stage till 2am.

100% speculation on my part and yes I realise it`s dumfries and galloway not Ayrshire !

I very much doubt that bit in bold, TITP has always been 2 weekends behind Wickerman so not sure why you are saying it was dictated by T.

The TITP breakdown of stage equipment and the build up of Wickermans would get no where close to overlapping. in fact the staging PA etc will be out of T and used at another event in the weekend between them!

Am pretty confident in saying from what I know, there is no one from DF or Live Nation involved in WIckerman, though I will check with someone in the know who will most likely post a reply in here anyway as we've already discussed the TITP move stemming from this thread and the documentation I seen about the site NW of Balado.

Edited by Paul ™

I very much doubt that bit in bold, TITP has always been 2 weekends behind Wickerman so not sure why you are saying it was dictated by T.

The TITP breakdown of stage equipment and the build up of Wickermans would get no where close to overlapping. in fact the staging PA etc will be out of T and used at another event in the weekend between them!

Am pretty confident in saying from what I know, there is no one from DF or Live Nation involved in WIckerman, though I will check with someone in the know who will most likely post a reply in here anyway as we've already discussed the TITP move stemming from this thread and the documentation I seen about the site NW of Balado.

I`m also pretty confident in what you know. I ended my post with " 100% speculation on my part ". I`m willing to bet your sources will be more informed than my total guess work.

The only thing I would say is that if anyone were to email the official wickerman enquiry address and ask them why, unlike in previous years, they are holding their festival on the same weekend as Kendal Calling ( relatively close and generally similar in size ) they will be told that the date of Wickerman this year was dictated by the date of T in the park. The reply may also explain that various things are shared with T in the park.

I honestly can`t remember or say for sure so I`ll go with someone different has been behind the last couple of wickerman festivals.

The only thing I would say is that if anyone were to email the official wickerman enquiry address and ask them why, unlike in previous years, they are holding their festival on the same weekend as Kendal Calling ( relatively close and generally similar in size ) they will be told that the date of Wickerman this year was dictated by the date of T in the park. The reply may also explain that various things are shared with T in the park.

I honestly can`t remember or say for sure so I`ll go with someone different has been behind the last couple of wickerman festivals.

It's actually Kendal Calling that are a week earlier this year, they have been 3 weeks after TITP since 2006 when they started, but for some reason they moved to the week before hence the clash with Wickerman. So if the organisers of Wickerman think they have moved they need to check their calendars :D

I first went to Kendal in 2008 (also was at Wickerman that year) and the dates for that year were August 1st - 3rd, there must be a reason that KC wanted to be earlier.

There was a change of management at Wickerman a few years back when Sid departed, also the Eden guys left and now Helen Chalmers is one of the main organisers along with Jamie who owns the land and Skiddle took over the dance area after Eden left.

Sid moved on and now runs Willowman Festival and also Eden have their own festival down in D&G in June.

Hopefully Chay (who runs the Solus tent) and posts on here will come and correct any of that, but am sure that's what has went on.

In my opinion, Wickerman went downhill when those changes happened. I went in 2006-2009 and although not been back since, others on here and people I know continue to go but feel it's moved on a lot and is far more commercial than in the past. Them getting rid of the Axis tent this year is just one more good part that has now sadly gone.

Anyway this is way off topic for Glasgow Summer Sessions :offtopic::sarcastic:

• Upvote 1