The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

On 9/12/2017 at 3:02 PM, nikkic said:

Just popped into Rough Trade and picked up....

The National - Sleep Well Beast

Anderson Paak - Malibu 

Daughter - Not To Disappear 

Any recommendations for smaller record shops in East London? 

Not a massive fan of Rough Trade but it's the closest to work. 

Yo dawg, what's the prices like in Rough Trade? Their Green Man tent seemed significantly cheaper than all Manchester stockists for new vinyl, wondering if it was just to get festival sorts to part with cash that would otherwise go on beers or Welsh oggy. Might nip in when I'm down in the smoke for LCD if it's good tho.

14 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Yo dawg, what's the prices like in Rough Trade? Their Green Man tent seemed significantly cheaper than all Manchester stockists for new vinyl, wondering if it was just to get festival sorts to part with cash that would otherwise go on beers or Welsh oggy. Might nip in when I'm down in the smoke for LCD if it's good tho.

Most around the £20 quid mark, fairly standard. The shop itself is really good but the staff are mostly snobby oiks. 

Think the new LCD was 19.99. 

7 hours ago, nikkic said:

Most around the £20 quid mark, fairly standard. The shop itself is really good but the staff are mostly snobby oiks. 

Think the new LCD was 19.99. 

£23 in Manchester. Outrage! Their tent at Green Man was £5 cheaper than I can find it here as well. Going to have to stock up whenever I London.

• 2 weeks later...

Treated myself last week to this 1958 H.M.V. 2008 mono record player. Got a few 78s and LPs to go with it - Billie Holiday, John Coltrane, The Doors, Frank Sinatra, Nellie Lutcher, Malcolm Mitchell Trio. It's got a really gorgeous sound to it, really rich and the mechanisms in it are just joyful. 

hmvvvv.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

just out of interest, how much did you pay?

I happen to know where there's a big pile of similar.

£100, but the boy who sold me it has taken it apart and fully refurbished the whole thing. That included a big bundle of records too. Other than a couple of marks on the outside it's in near immaculate condition.

Edited by OneLittleFish

11 minutes ago, OneLittleFish said:

fully refurbished the whole thing

which probably consisted of a hoover to get the dust out, and new rubber drive belt. :P

12 minutes ago, OneLittleFish said:

£100

I'll have to follow up on the ones I know about then. I hope they're still there.

Shitty old things they are. There's a reason why even Amstrad systems were better. :P

45 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

which probably consisted of a hoover to get the dust out, and new rubber drive belt. :P

I'll have to follow up on the ones I know about then. I hope they're still there.

Shitty old things they are. There's a reason why even Amstrad systems were better. :P

Nah, I know the boy reasonably well and it's a labour of love for him. Good bloke.

7 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Superbly packaged record. The booklet with each song title was stunning.

Yeah that is true, you see where the money went. Mix on the record is definitely superior to the mp3 files/CD version, which is something I'm always wary of with big label releases. It was a lot of money, but it's not like I'm going to regret paying £7 more than usual every time I look at it. And there's a download of the excellent companion film in there, will have to see what sort of quality the file is, but so far I'm really pleased with the package overall. I'm not joking when I say, mix aside (because I don't think Shakey can be touched there), the presentation of the whole thing gives Neil Young's recent reissues a run for their money.

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

never been to a record fair, is there prospect of getting good deals there over what you'd get from yer ebays and discogs?

You're not going to get any car boot stylee bargains because the traders know all too well what stuff is worth but trawling the £2, £3 & £5 bins can throw out something decent. Always a bit of a gamble though as they can look ok but play poorly when you get home.

This week's purchases;

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Tender Prey, 2014 reissue
Paul Simon - There Goes Rhymin' Simon, original 1973 CBS pressing
Veronica Falls - self titled
Susanne Sundfor - Music For People In Trouble
Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam - I Had A Dream That You Were Mine

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

• 2 weeks later...