The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

Hard Days night sounds fantastic! Gave that a spin too.

Regarding the arm, I originally had mine at too firm a setting, the needle was bending and you'll hear a thud sort of sound on every revolution. I altered it slightly and now its perfect.

Does yours have an anti skating weight on it WM?

In time I'm going to splash out on a proper good vinyl player. Currently got one of the cheaper ones of amazon and it does me. It also a cd player and a cassette (never been used but handy to have I guess). For the value of money I got it for it has been brilliant. Can't hook speakers up to it though which is a bit of a pain.

• 3 weeks later...

My pre-amp was delayed for another week, so I eventually managed to find it in stock somewhere else and get it delivered the next day :D Those Pro-ject Phono Boxes are bloody difficult to find!

Anyway I now have it all set up and sounding lovely. A Hard Day's Night does sound bloody good (apart from the last track on side one of the disc we have, which is damaged and sounds a bit tinny).

I managed to find a load of old 7" in the loft. I've got the first two Super Furry Animals EPs "(Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch (In Space)" and "Moog Droog"), and a limited edition Ash 7" of them covering Smokey Robinson's "Get Ready". I think there were only 1000 copies made. Plus loads of other random mid 90's stuff. Took me back a bit listening to them again.

My mum is bringing a load of old LPs down this weekend :)

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, bit slow to the party here

Have managed to acquire a load of my dads old vinyl (prog rock goodness) but have nothing to play it on... :(

Recommendations for basic entry level systems? I need to replace my stereo anyway so need CD/DAB too...

My old speakers ain't so bad so I can use those initially till I can afford a nice pair of bookshelfs (no room for floorstanders!)

(As you may have guessed I'm somewhat to new to the whole seperates thing!)

Edited by thegremlin_1999

Ok, bit slow to the party here

Have managed to acquire a load of my dads old vinyl (prog rock goodness) but have nothing to play it on... :(

Recommendations for basic entry level systems? I need to replace my stereo anyway so need CD/DAB too...

My old speakers ain't so bad so I can use those initially till I can afford a nice pair of bookshelfs (no room for floorstanders!)

(As you may have guessed I'm somewhat to new to the whole seperates thing!)

As mentioned earlier in the thread, look at Pro-Ject turntables. The Pro-Ject Essential is an excellent entry level deck (about 150 quid).

You'll need an amp, either one with a built in phono stage or (if not) with a separate phono stage. I'd recommend a Yamaha AS500. A really great amp, for not a massive amount of money (200 quid or so if you shop around), with a perfectly acceptable on-board phono stage.

For a CD player, I'd recommend a Marantz CD6003 - again if you shop around you'll get one for around 200 quid

the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s are very very good speakers and a bargain because they're a couple of years old. I got a pair for less than 80 quid from Superfi because they were unboxed. And bi-wiring makes a real difference to the sound quality.

Just bought a pair. 60 euro, so about £50!

I recently got given a load of vinyl, some Hendrix, Marley, Beatles, Lennon stuff.. none of which I think is rare though.

Is there somewhere that you can put in the label code/ID and get a rough value for it? Theres about 20 records, some in perfect nick and some with slight wear and tear.