The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

How many records do you peeps have in your collection then? And how many do you currently purchase a month? 

I'm relatively new to the world of vinyl and have been slowly growing the collection for 18 months. Up to about 40-50 odd now, a mixture of bought and inherited. 

Trying to add 2-4 new ones per month. Totally in love with going to record shops now, makes me feel like I'm 14 years old and looking at CDs in Our Price! 

Not sure, couple 100 anyway.

I'm more of a fan of record fairs than shops. Do a bit online too for rare ones/good deals. Actually now that I think of it, my Tonights the Night order is very late, worryingly so. 

Picked up Kris Kristofferson and Fats Domino best ofs and Aja by Steely Dan at a fair on Saturday all for 20 quid. All mint too. 

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

How many records do you peeps have in your collection then? And how many do you currently purchase a month? 

I'm relatively new to the world of vinyl and have been slowly growing the collection for 18 months. Up to about 40-50 odd now, a mixture of bought and inherited. 

Trying to add 2-4 new ones per month. Totally in love with going to record shops now, makes me feel like I'm 14 years old and looking at CDs in Our Price! 

I used to buy a lot more, but its down to the select few at this stage.

2 hours ago, nikkic said:

I'll let you know once I've finished cataloging them. I always had about 250 in my head and think I've probably bought another 30 odd since I started buying vinyl again. I'm almost excited to find out, it'll be nothing like Mardy's mammoth collection though.

New Travelling Band album is due to arrive in the next few days, white vinyl :)

That reminds me @The Nal and @Wooderson , did you see anything of them at Shi-tv or had you left before they came on?

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

I reckon Mardy's record collection on discogs is more unique than his fingerprint. Its 4 dimensional - you can "see" time pass. 

It's been really interesting this summer going through it, i can pinpoint exactly when i had a job and spare cash to experiment on things and when i had to reign things in and only buy essentials. I was workimg it out, i bought my first record player in summer 1988 after working a shitty summer job, everything got packed away in 1994 when i went abroad (which is why i'm utterly baffled about that Senser record, alrhough i can remember the shop i bought it from) and it all got unpacked in 2011 and i started again. buying a new record player then was one of my better decisions, i reckon. I fucking love it.

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

I switched to CDs in 1988, I remember because I bought 1988 by Whitesnake on the same day. Handy.

Took nearly 30 years to start buying vinyl again. I missed it.

I was convinced that CDs weren't going to stick around. Don't think I got a cd player till about 1996. Held off as long as i could

The count is in and 250 LPs all told. 

2 things I noticed going through:

1 - I haven't half bought some shite over the years, and 2 - the prices Discogs has them at is often a surprise, both good and bad. Some stuff you think MUST be worth something goes for next to nowt but some others are surprisingly worth more than expected.

Who's paying £30 for Reign In Blood? An album I'd only played once before until tonight. On second listen, 31 years later, I was right to leave it in the sleeve. Awful.

Meanwhile, in equally shocking news, the Quo collection hasn't held its value well.

I may do the singles next. Then the CDs. I'm hooked.

Anyway....  For your amusement  (if this works):
https://www.discogs.com/user/gjpe/collection
Shared from the Discogs app

My only excuse is I bought most of it before I was 21.

Edited by Gnomicide

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

Live like a Suicide. Nice catch.

aka The kid's inheritance. Only gutted that I didn't go see them when they played three nights at The Marquee soon after.

What's your big money item? That Blur one's down for a few bob but think it's a box set?

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

aka The kid's inheritance. Only gutted that I didn't go see them when they played three nights at The Marquee soon after.

What's your big money item? That Blur one's down for a few bob but think it's a box set?

image.thumb.png.5fc89b66ee03a55fb946a1c382646b3d.png

I love having a nosy through other people's collections, nice to see the weird eclectic things sitting alongside each other! 

Also quite enjoyed the process of putting it all onto discogs, frustrating at times, but mostly quite a satisfying process. 

Mine's a bit more modern as I only started collecting records in about 2011, have had a bit of a crazy first few years though, I'm on 461 apparently! Mostly LP's but a few singles and box sets too. Here's mine if any of you fancy a nosy, there's definitely a few in there I would never discovered without this forum too! - https://www.discogs.com/user/renrutbor/collection?sort=artist&sort_order=asc

@Wooderson - very envious of your Lemon Jelly .ky and Lost Horizons, two of my biggest wants at the minute, only have the 64-95 box so far.

1 hour ago, renrutbor said:

I love having a nosy through other people's collections, nice to see the weird eclectic things sitting alongside each other! 

Also quite enjoyed the process of putting it all onto discogs, frustrating at times, but mostly quite a satisfying process. 

Mine's a bit more modern as I only started collecting records in about 2011, have had a bit of a crazy first few years though, I'm on 461 apparently! Mostly LP's but a few singles and box sets too. Here's mine if any of you fancy a nosy, there's definitely a few in there I would never discovered without this forum too! - https://www.discogs.com/user/renrutbor/collection?sort=artist&sort_order=asc

@Wooderson - very envious of your Lemon Jelly .ky and Lost Horizons, two of my biggest wants at the minute, only have the 64-95 box so far.

The Nal got a freebie of Lost H from me.

I've a few hundred. I've probably lost or misplaced as many as I own through moving around. 

I only buy LP's and try to keep it to one a week. Even then I think that might be too frequent as I'm not sure I give full justice to some that I have bought.

Started at the end of the 70's and stopped sometime in the mid 80's when I joined the Army (record player and vinyl were impractical so switched to tapes). Started buying CD's when I left the Army (reckon I have getting on for a thousand or so - still remember the pain of importing them all to hard disk when I went fully digital), moved back to vinyl a year or so ago.

When I left the Army I could only carry so much. It came down to a choice of take my clothes or take my tapes, I made the wrong choice and still regret it. So many bootlegs lost forever.

4 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

First listen to American Dream this morning! And now I'm finally getting round to listening to Last Evenings On Earth by Melt Yourself Down that I picked up at Green Man, it sounds HUGE on wax! Only £15 for this crazy noisy monster, money very well spent.

Picked my copy up from the PO earlier, half way through side B atm as I've been busy all day.

I'm liking it so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Just popped into Rough Trade and picked up....

The National - Sleep Well Beast

Anderson Paak - Malibu 

Daughter - Not To Disappear 

Any recommendations for smaller record shops in East London? 

Not a massive fan of Rough Trade but it's the closest to work.