The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, big__phil said:

So I got myself involved for my first Record Store Day, and glad I did (despite the massive queue). War On Drugs, A Psych Compilation, HudMo and a couple of others.

Was put off taking the the War on Drugs records due to the way the track was split over both sides, something which seemed very unusual... how does it come across on wax?

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

Was put off taking the the War on Drugs records due to the way the track was split over both sides, something which seemed very unusual... how does it come across on wax?

I only had it on in the background whilst I was pottering around, so hard to say at the moment. Was a bit strange flipping it straight into a track, but other than that it was fine. The locked groove at the end of side B has a nice bit of ambient noise from the end of the song on it though, so it never really ends.

Just now, big__phil said:

I only had it on in the background whilst I was pottering around, so hard to say at the moment. Was a bit strange flipping it straight into a track, but other than that it was fine. The locked groove at the end of side B has a nice bit of ambient noise from the end of the song on it though, so it never really ends.

Ahh sweet. Can't beat a locked groove. Cheers mate.

• Upvote 1

Did an smash and grab in the folks attic. Found a tonne (almost literally) of old stuff. Will sift through it at the weekend. Some of its been up there since the mid 80s. A load of 78s and even 80 rpms. A lot of it belonged to my grandparents. 

34tcnzd.jpg

2zdx35h.jpg

rmmadv.jpg

Edited by The Nal

On 4/26/2017 at 7:20 PM, The Nal said:

Did an smash and grab in the folks attic. Found a tonne (almost literally) of old stuff. Will sift through it at the weekend. Some of its been up there since the mid 80s. A load of 78s and even 80 rpms. A lot of it belonged to my grandparents. 

34tcnzd.jpg

2zdx35h.jpg

rmmadv.jpg

Yeah I a similar raid on my parent's place. My Dad said "I'll want them back you know".

He's not getting them back.

What sort of nick are they in? Any real gems?

52 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Yeah I a similar raid on my parent's place. My Dad said "I'll want them back you know".

He's not getting them back.

What sort of nick are they in? Any real gems?

Theyre in decent nick yeah but badly need a clean obviously. Haven't rooted through them yet but will over the weekend. 

Had a brief look and theres a load of stuff I don't know, showband stuff (I think) but some old crooner stuff in there, Perry Como etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm strongly considering getting into collecting vinyl. My current set of speakers are Logitech Z506. I've had these for ages and they've always been decent for music and movies. Would I be okay pairing them with something like the: Audio-Technica AT-LP120? Also would you recommend I get the turntable used or just splash out on a brand new one? 

20 hours ago, CRW5252 said:

I'm strongly considering getting into collecting vinyl. My current set of speakers are Logitech Z506. I've had these for ages and they've always been decent for music and movies. Would I be okay pairing them with something like the: Audio-Technica AT-LP120? Also would you recommend I get the turntable used or just splash out on a brand new one? 

Ive no experience of cabling a 5-1 audio system up to an amp, but I doubt it would be a problem.

The LP120 is well spoken of. Good build quality. If you happen upon the right 2nd hand model I'd go for it.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Picked up this badboy.

As Allmusic put it: "the purest, hardest rock & roll ever committed to record.......... It is no stretch to call this the greatest live album ever, nor is it a stretch to call it the greatest rock & roll album ever recorded."

Or Rolling Stones review: "Live At The Star Club, Hamburg is not an album, it's a crime scene"

CS525073-01A-BIG.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2017 at 8:10 AM, Scruffylovemonster said:

Surely if you're anti-Queen that bodes well for the album.

7 seas of Rhye is on greatest hits, but other than that, no song off the 1st 2 albums are well known. 

Keep Yourself Alive from the first one is well known, Shirley?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, I'm new to the Vinyl  world so I need some advice. I'm interested in buying a Vinyl player, ideally plug and play. I was looking for one that I can connect with my Bluetooth speaker. However some told me that the sound would not be the best, so do you recommend I go for this type of player will it have a good quality sound ? Or I set up a speaker system solely for the Vinyl player.

Moreover any recommendations for good Vinyl Players ?