The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

RSD, the only day of the year where I would rather sit at home than go record hunting.

Some new (old) ones.

Had to replace this badboy and seeing as it is no longer going for £150 a pop (blame Sasha and his disciples), I could finally justify getting it.

Now I have every single remix of the next one without ever getting round to getting the original. Would not mind but the original is probably the best mix and cheap as chips.

Edited by eastynh

14 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Demon Days getting a repress. Interesting.

Yeah, Vinyl Me Please is worth keeping tabs on. I can't justify a monthly subscription to it but it's worth a temporary sign-up for the right record. Case in point - it cost me $32 to sign up for a month to get Person Pitch, which was going for double that on Discogs prior to the repress.

Edited by ListeningWind

Just now, Scruffylovemonster said:

Don't agree with this. It's not for me but my local Indy shop makes a fair bit of money from it. 

It should definitiely focus more on the Indy shops than it begin hijacked by the labels like it is now but there is a place for it. 

It may make money, but it's just a racket of overpriced kitsch, dominating already stressed pressing plants for pretty much the first quarter of every year. It's a bubble that will one day burst, and the shops will be the ones hurt. The focus needs to shift to events in-store rather than the bullshit "exclusive" pressings.

12 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

It may make money, but it's just a racket of overpriced kitsch, dominating already stressed pressing plants for pretty much the first quarter of every year. It's a bubble that will one day burst, and the shops will be the ones hurt. The focus needs to shift to events in-store rather than the bullshit "exclusive" pressings.

i do agree that it appears to be going the way of being a racket, but surely anything that brings more money in to indie record stores is a good thing? It's not great when the records end up on eBay the next day, but the point of the day is to get people in to record stores, which it undoubtedly does.

For those in big cities it's easy to take good record stores for granted, but as Scruffy says, anything keeping the ones alive in smaller towns has to be a good thing. My town lost its best record store a couple of years ago, and I can't see anything coming in to replace it any time soon.

12 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Agree with this. It definitely needs to change. But if it helps keep a record shop in a shitty west Yorkshire town open so I don't have to go to that Leeds then I don't mind staying away for one day a year. 

They have any old rave/dance vinyl at that record shop in the shitty west Yorkshire town??

10 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

They do get stuff in. 2nd hand, he just relies on people going in to him, rather than actively hunting for stuff elsewhere, so just depends who's clearing out their attics at any given time. Not my area of expertise though, I'll be honest so wouldn't have a clue what was good or not. Or if it was value or a ripoff. Next time I'm in I'll have a look and see if owt looks like it may be of interest. 

Where is it mate? I can just have a drive up anyway. Places like that can end up as gold mines.

10 hours ago, big__phil said:

i do agree that it appears to be going the way of being a racket, but surely anything that brings more money in to indie record stores is a good thing? It's not great when the records end up on eBay the next day, but the point of the day is to get people in to record stores, which it undoubtedly does.

Yes, bringing money into indie record shops is a good thing. No, no just anything that brings money in is a good thing. RSD exclusives are a fad, they're a bubble that will burst, and they're a bubble that's currently making it harder/more expensive for the smaller indie acts to press their records in the first quarter. As I've said, it needs to focus more on the idea of in-store events, which when you think about it have a better chance of creating a bond between customers and said indie shop itself, not speculators/hipsters cramming in for the artificial scarcity of an object which has no connection to the shop and could just as easily be any limited edition merch. 

Can any of you lovely people recommend a good record shop in Leeds? Going up this weekend for the first time, so somewhere central and easy to find would be great.

@Calvin Klein - there's loads of stuff on What Hi Fi, tons of reviews on there. Somebody (more knowledgeable than me) might be able to suggest a good place to pick up a refurb though, or maybe a second hand one.

20 hours ago, Calvin Klein said:

So...what and where could I buy a decent turntable for 150/300 pounds in London?? I'll be there a few days before G.

Few of us on here are oldschool 1210MKII fans mate. Theyre built like tanks, easy to refurb and you can usually get one for 300 blips online.

The Audiotechnica LP120 is a rock solid option which is modelled on the 1210 and you can pick up for less than 300 quid new.

https://www.thomann.de/ie/audio_technica_at_lp120_usbhc.htm?glp=1&gclid=CjwKEAjwh9PGBRCfso2n3ODgvUcSJAAhpW5oJwt6UXShwoUyDLI746M4BHyiGHlhN29CqTPlMqDJBBoCPaPw_wcB

34 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Can any of you lovely people recommend a good record shop in Leeds? Going up this weekend for the first time, so somewhere central and easy to find would be great.

@Calvin Klein - there's loads of stuff on What Hi Fi, tons of reviews on there. Somebody (more knowledgeable than me) might be able to suggest a good place to pick up a refurb though, or maybe a second hand one.

Jumbo and Crash mostly for me, but here's a link to more. Jumbo has/will be moving to a place around the Merrion Centre, still central but check before you visit, although it's only a 5 minute walk to the new place from where they are/were.

https://leeds-list.com/music/the-music-lovers-guide-to-record-shops-in-leeds/

7 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Crash records on the headrow or jumbo records in St John's Centre on Merrion street. 

(Still not managed to source a ticket for CSH. It's gonna be rammed in Brudenell I reckon).

They're playing again but at the Uni. Have you tried posting on the Brud FB site or Twickets? I'll keep an eye open for you.

• Upvote 1

Just now, big__phil said:

Cheers @Scruffylovemonster and @carlosj, I'll check those two out. Best of luck with your ticket hunt Scruff. Are you going Carlos? I've heard good things about the venue.

I'm off the Brudenell gig, it is a great venue.  I got the ticket last year before I'd forget.  There are quite a few Leeds' venues which have shut over the years, but that place is actually expanding.  There is a good mix of new bands playing there (aka I have no idea who they are but the poster looks good, and well established bands).  Lee 'Scratch' Perry was the last one I saw there. Very, er, smoky atmosphere.

Over the weekend I got myself records from Grandaddy, Love, Sherwood & Pinch, Fatima Al Qadiri and a second hand version of Beggars Banquet. Only listened to Grandaddy and Love so far, but both sounding great. Looking forward to drowning in the sub buss of Sherwood & Pinch this week.

Haven't been to sound barrier for ages and now i remember why. I'm dead happy cos i picked up these three beauties this afternoon, but it ain't cheap. Living on bread and marge this week.

Mark Hollis - self titled

Go Betweens - tallulah

john and beverly martin - stormbringer

IMG_0358.thumb.JPG.888a0557588630cd94191dbc70e73197.JPG