The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

6 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Didn't know that was your bag. Loads of that type of stuff on old Russian pressings here, dirt cheap. I'll pick something up for you next time i go.

Cheers! 

Yeah not into free form jazz stuff but I love Duke Ellington.

Couple of crazy Russian pressings at that thing today actually. 

Is there any danger in using too much of that record cleaning alcohol solution on your records? Been cleaning up some of my dad's collection that I pilfered and some of it really needs quite a bit of attention. I've got Bridge Over Troubled Water on rn, initially it was fucking snap crackle and pop central, but over a few months I've been giving it a wipe with a cloth and some of the bottled cleaner you get in shops and it's come up really nicely. I'm always paranoid about cleaning it too much in one sitting, or at all because I don't know if it might be a bit too rough on the record, but there's still a little bit of crackle and hiss I want to get rid of (mainly because it just fills my mind with images of my stylus picking up all grease and grot, the music itself actually sounds amazing).

2 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Is there any danger in using too much of that record cleaning alcohol solution on your records? Been cleaning up some of my dad's collection that I pilfered and some of it really needs quite a bit of attention. I've got Bridge Over Troubled Water on rn, initially it was fucking snap crackle and pop central, but over a few months I've been giving it a wipe with a cloth and some of the bottled cleaner you get in shops and it's come up really nicely. I'm always paranoid about cleaning it too much in one sitting, or at all because I don't know if it might be a bit too rough on the record, but there's still a little bit of crackle and hiss I want to get rid of (mainly because it just fills my mind with images of my stylus picking up all grease and grot, the music itself actually sounds amazing).

Too much neat rubbing alcohol can do damage yes. You're using store-bought gear tho? That should be fine. I've -flooded- a couple trashed records with it over the years.

On 28/01/2017 at 10:46 AM, Wooderson said:

Then it ain't a pressing fault.

Fair enough.

I suspect my other half must have spilt something on it or something and not told me - I noticed that the sleeve has changed - I swear when I bought it the sleeve was a black anti-static and now its a white one.

I've treated myself to a new one anyway as its one of my favourites - thanks for all the input mate. Always good to know someone even vicariously who you can pick the brains of for vinyl issues.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Raided my Dad's collection over the weekend and came home with Led Zep II, III, IV and Houses of the Holy. Also a couple of Clapton and Santana, as well as some of Grandad's old jazz records (some from the 40's). Great result.

Original Houses of the Holy. Lovely stuff.

32 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Original Houses of the Holy. Lovely stuff.

Indeed, in pretty good nick as well. IV has seen better days though, with the sleeve split and few marks on the record. Will give it a clean up at some point.

Edited by big__phil

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Dead putting out their best show on quintuple wax. Yessir.

Thanks for the heads up. Ordered. Long wait till May. With that, Dylan bootleg 1-3 and the new Mag Fields 50 song thing out in a few weeks, there's going to be a fair   few records waiting for me when i get home in the summer.

Come on then efests, recommend me a record, I'm flying back to the Uk tomorow for a few days, want to pick up some vinyl. Recommend me something I can get. Nothing too obscure, got to be able to get it delivered before I fly out on Sunday. Hit me up with some prime cuts.

5 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

You're thoughts on the lips? New one sounds great on vinyl. It's proper clicked with me today. 

Also @The Nal was right about whiskey for the holy ghost. It sounds awesome. 

Also beck's sea change recently reissued. 

Carrie and lowell sounds beautiful on wax.

Pretty much my recent purchases. 

Good shouts, might get that F Lips, yeah. Got Carrie and Lowell, and you're right, it's a lovely sounding thing

Last Beck I bought was morning phase, and it's failed to grab me, but if sea change is not too pricey, I'll have a punt on that yep.

Thanks scruffs.