The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

9 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

haha It is round the corner from my house that. I used to go in Pandemonium records as a kid. The bloke who owned them all would let me listen to them but would not let me buy any. Seems a shame that they have all been left to rot. I might have a walk down on Monday and see whats left, if anything. He used to have a decent collection of early house and Italo house but he sold all that years ago, when it was going for silly money.

I have the new Opeth album on at work (fucking brilliant so far!) and when I get in I will have the vinyl waiting for me :D

I am also planning on getting the new Pixies album today. Banquet in Kingston are doing an indies only version with a slipmat thrown in so I might get that. I got bored of my hamster in a wheel slipmat that I was given almost as soon as I was given it :P

I am really loving the vinyl resurgence. I forgot exactly how good vinyl sounds for about 10 years ever since I went to university aged 18. I've gone from zero records to over 50 in the space of 18 months. My father STILL won't tell me what he did with my box of random vinyl I amassed from ages 12-18 (was left some by an elderly neighbour who passed, and I had shitloads of 7, 10 and 12'' singles) which is a shame. We fell out when I moved away so I am at least 75% sure he has binned them.

Been Jumbo Records in Leeds for the first time yesterday, picked up the new Bon Iver.

No more vinyl for me until Christmas I think... that is unless the merch table at Explosions In The Sky twists my arm next week, and I did see HMV have We Love Life on sale as well.

Do you all just buy new vinyl? Do none of you buy second hand stuff? I love nothing better than mooching through the sad bins at obscure 2nd hand record stores. Nothing better than picking up a rare as rocking horse, old skool stonker for 50p, which would sell for a fortune on discogs.

10 hours ago, eastynh said:

Do you all just buy new vinyl? Do none of you buy second hand stuff? I love nothing better than mooching through the sad bins at obscure 2nd hand record stores. Nothing better than picking up a rare as rocking horse, old skool stonker for 50p, which would sell for a fortune on discogs.

I buy 2nd hand stuff too, but the only 2nd hand shop near me that sells vinyl is a collectors store - ie: he mainly deals in 1st pressings, rare pressings that are a bit too pricey for me.

He also mainly deals in 60's and 70's music that I have not much interest in. That said, I got a nice copy of Santana's debut from him for about £7 and Close to the Edge by Yes for about the same price.

Whenever I go to central London, I go to Reckless Records on Berwick St. Soho and look there and also opposite in Sister Ray - Reckless are better for 2nd hand stuff - last time I went in there I got a copy of Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of the War of the Worlds for about £8 and I also got another Yes album on the cheap. I got a copy of an old Porcupine Tree record in there the time before which was quite cheap.

Many bargains to be had out there and I would love to find something rare for 50p I could sell for a mint but thats unlikely near me :P

13 hours ago, mungo57 said:

I buy 2nd hand stuff too, but the only 2nd hand shop near me that sells vinyl is a collectors store - ie: he mainly deals in 1st pressings, rare pressings that are a bit too pricey for me.

He also mainly deals in 60's and 70's music that I have not much interest in. That said, I got a nice copy of Santana's debut from him for about £7 and Close to the Edge by Yes for about the same price.

Whenever I go to central London, I go to Reckless Records on Berwick St. Soho and look there and also opposite in Sister Ray - Reckless are better for 2nd hand stuff - last time I went in there I got a copy of Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of the War of the Worlds for about £8 and I also got another Yes album on the cheap. I got a copy of an old Porcupine Tree record in there the time before which was quite cheap.

Many bargains to be had out there and I would love to find something rare for 50p I could sell for a mint but thats unlikely near me :P

I go everywhere mate. Before I could drive, I would get the train to obscure places hoping to find a bargain. Generally I buy dance music where as most peeps on here seem to buy rock and pop, so it maybe a little different. Years ago you had to put the groundwork in if you wanted the rare white labels or records with limited presses. It really was a passion that took over your life. It is a bit easier to get the rare ones these days as the demand is no longer there for them, due to advances of technology. I still love going record hunting though. Nothing better than looking through a dusty box of old records, not knowing what lies a head. You keep on hoping that the next tune will be a stonker, as you pass the 7th copy of Strike - You Sure Do :-)

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

I go everywhere mate. Before I could drive, I would get the train to obscure places hoping to find a bargain. Generally I buy dance music where as most peeps on here seem to buy rock and pop, so it maybe a little different. Years ago you had to put the groundwork in if you wanted the rare white labels or records with limited presses. It really was a passion that took over your life. It is a bit easier to get the rare ones these days as the demand is no longer there for them, due to advances of technology. I still love going record hunting though. Nothing better than looking through a dusty box of old records, not knowing what lies a head. You keep on hoping that the next tune will be a stonker, as you pass the 7th copy of Strike - You Sure Do :-)

I don't normally listen to dance but I have a mate who has cases of old white label ones - keep telling him they must be worth something.

Mainly rock/metal/prog for me - prog stuff in particular is my fave on vinyl. Whilst on the subject of dance I do have the man machine by Kraftwerk that I got for about 4 quid that's as dancer as I'll likely get :P

I've decided that I am on a self imposed vinyl ban for the next month at least.

I have a couple of Kallax units up on the wall and one drawer unit in that is FILLED now with vinyl. Taken me less than 10 months to fill it. I'm gonna wait until after my birthday in November to see what I get and take things from there :P

11 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

There'll probably be some musical snobbery opposition to this but I love it. picked up an original Jeff Wayne war of the worlds complete with booklet for a fiver. 

A wonderful addition to your collection! I had my dad's for quite a while until he pinched it back, great listen.

Picked up Those Who Tell The Truth at EitS merch table last night. NO MORE VINYL UNTIL NEXT YEAR NOW, it's getting silly.

Had a right touch today. You never get cheap vinyl here in Moscow, except for old Soviet pressings, but anything new is 25-30 quid, mebbe more

but this lunchtime, i had 20 minutes to kill, so nipped into MediaMarkt, big electronics superstore. Whole rack of discounted records.

picked up

bjork -vulcinara

david crosby - if only i could remember my name

bruce springsteen - the wild, the innocent

a ramones comp

air - pocket symphonies

laughing len - death of a ladies man

dylan - bootleg series no.11 the basement tapes box set

total for the lot, about 75 quid. Normal price for the lot (and nearly all of them I've looked at and contemplated buying in the shop before) was £215

On 07/10/2016 at 11:47 AM, The Nal said:

As @Wooderson has just informed me, Whiskey for the Holy Ghost and The Winding Sheet by Mark Lanegan are both out today on re release. Urgently needed. 

Whiskey for the holy ghost is a fantastic album. Will have to get hold of a copy

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought 13th Floor elevators, easter everywhere limited edition gold vinyl and the re-issue of mercury rev deserters song and it sounds beautiful. Also just had delivered the 10th year anniversary edition of Midlake, The trials of Van Occupanther which is also on gold vinyl and has a 7" with 2 unreleased tracks on it, will be given that a spin when I get home from work.

6 hours ago, Fred Zepplin said:

Just bought 13th Floor elevators, easter everywhere limited edition gold vinyl and the re-issue of mercury rev deserters song and it sounds beautiful. Also just had delivered the 10th year anniversary edition of Midlake, The trials of Van Occupanther which is also on gold vinyl and has a 7" with 2 unreleased tracks on it, will be given that a spin when I get home from work.

That Mercury Rev reissue is great. God, it's a fantastic album, isn't it? Absolute masterpiece.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Also recently acquired surfer Rosa and joy division's closer (original) and substance (re-press). can't think of any better albums called substance, @eastynh.

Cheers for the slider recommendation, @CaledonianGonzo it sounds awesome. up there with electric warrior  

The JD Substance is no where near as good as the NO one (That is exactly what you expected me to say isn't it? :-D )

In all seriousness the New Order version is a classic album. Although it is a compilation, it does not have the feel of a Xmas stocking filler like the JD one does.

Have seen them both played in full by Hooky recently. He ruins the New Order ones by singing them, his voice is too deep. He plays them in chronological order as well which is a mistake imo. Considering he thinks that he is a dj, he has no idea how to program and build a set. Added to that hes a fucking tool.

Covered my kitchen dining area in old records I've had for years and a few newer ones. I have took Urban Hymns down now though and replaced it with The Specials debut album. Was a bit of a bastard to find in good enough condition to go on the wall. 

Not all of my choices by the way, had to be a mutual half and half decision! Went for the better artwork on a couple, over my favourite album from the artist. I did want The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society up. I would have probably went for The White Album and London Calling as well. She wanted The Libertines, Arctic Monkeys and Foals up though (love all 3 myself so don't mind). 

Before any Oasis hater points it out, yes that is 3 Oasis albums up there you see. They were my first band and lead me on my way to everything else I love so they deserve 3 spaces!

Love it anyway.

14732160_10154012075444290_4188182075961597760_n.jpg

• Upvote 2

Aye I had that in mind. It's kind of around the corner to the window so it doesn't get totally exposed to sunlight. The wall on the right doesn't have any sun hitting it. I'll keep an eye on it though. The frames are only £4ish each, so if anyone has the space and permission it's a decent idea.