The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

I've been lurking on this thread for a while but the opportunity for me to post something useful has outed me. 

I've recently bought quite a budget turntable that can plug into a not awful hifi. It's nothing like the set ups most others here seem to have but I'm limited by both space and finances at the moment, and I'm convinced it gives the added depth to the sound that you don't get on digital media. 

My current favorites include An Awesome Wave by Alt J and ...Like Clockwork by Queens of the Stone Age and Wolfgang Amadeus by Phoenix. My collection is mainly indie/rock (and was born from records my Dad gave to me so I'm still rediscovering a lot of classics) but has a fair bit of random stuff from ebay/car boots that looked fun or interesting. 

After hearing the BBC stream of the new Radiohead album I'm looking forward to getting that as well as filling out my back catalogue with more old favorites. Anyway I'm getting more and more into it so thought I'd get involved here.

5 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

After hearing the BBC stream of the new Radiohead album I'm looking forward to getting that as well as filling out my back catalogue with more old favorites. Anyway I'm getting more and more into it so thought I'd get involved here.

Good start Tommy! I ran a turntable through a hifi originally. Played After the Goldrush to my Dad and he was blown away by the quality. 

Don't get too hung up on the nerd side of sound. Decent turntable, amp and speakers eventually sure, but a lot of it is pointless bollocks. 

1 hour ago, Tommy101 said:

I've been lurking on this thread for a while but the opportunity for me to post something useful has outed me. 

I've recently bought quite a budget turntable that can plug into a not awful hifi. It's nothing like the set ups most others here seem to have but I'm limited by both space and finances at the moment, and I'm convinced it gives the added depth to the sound that you don't get on digital media. 

My current favorites include An Awesome Wave by Alt J and ...Like Clockwork by Queens of the Stone Age and Wolfgang Amadeus by Phoenix. My collection is mainly indie/rock (and was born from records my Dad gave to me so I'm still rediscovering a lot of classics) but has a fair bit of random stuff from ebay/car boots that looked fun or interesting. 

Like Clockwork is a nice option. 45rpm copy?

17 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Like Clockwork is a nice option. 45rpm copy?

Yes. I gave it my first spin last night christening the new turntable, having it sat waiting for nearly a month. It felt like a cast being taken off it was so satisfying.

I'm a big QotSA fan, most of the rest of their other albums are on my wish list. I've not much time for their self titled album, it's always felt like a weak Kyuss record to me and Rated R can probably wait a bit longer than the others... 

1 hour ago, Tommy101 said:

Yes. I gave it my first spin last night christening the new turntable, having it sat waiting for nearly a month. It felt like a cast being taken off it was so satisfying.

I'm a big QotSA fan, most of the rest of their other albums are on my wish list. I've not much time for their self titled album, it's always felt like a weak Kyuss record to me and Rated R can probably wait a bit longer than the others... 

The debut and R are classics. I'd put them way ahead of Lullabies and Vulgaris. 

A *really* nice repress of Deaf is what we need. 

Pay day today. Been to the shops and picked up Head On The Door by The Cure and Remain In Light by Talking Heads, never heard either of them before. Head On The Door is one of the few remaining gaps in my Cure listening, I've got it on now and it sounds camper than fucking Christmas. First impressions are that it sounds like good clean fun, there's no mistaking that this is The Cure, but it sounds a little bit unessential. Probably sounded great on its release, but to me I'm thinking it sounds like a stepping stone from their post-punk sound to their later indie pop sound. It's very entertaining though, I love The Cure, and you can't argue with In Between Days or Close To Me, some of their finest pop singles. Feel a little bit of a wally for not picking up the amazing Seventeen Seconds instead, which was in the shop, but I just felt like hearing something new. I don't regret the purchase.

Going to give Remain In Light a spin later, never ventured into Talking Heads' studio albums, but I really like their singles and live albums. Looking forward to this quite a bit.

Loads of stuff in the shop I could have happily bought as well, if money was no object I'd have run riot, there's a reason why I try to limit myself to one trip per payday. Came very close to picking up Miles' Porgy & Bess, only thing that stopped me is that I think my dad has it already, so I'll have to poke around his cupboards and see what sort of state it's in. Also nearly picked up Nils' Spaces, Portishead's Third, and GYBE's Lift Yr Skinny Fists, but for some reason I can never pay over £20 for a record in a shop unless it's a new release I've been looking forward to. Online I have no such qualms, I'll buy it and worry later, but when I have to physically hand over money I become more aware of what I'm spending.

Question for the Nick Cave fans, as they had a big selection in there, so now seems a good time to delve further. My Nick Cave listening so far pretty much extends to From Her To Eternity, Push The Sky Away and Let Love In, all of them are amazing albums, I love them and have been intending for a while to go deeper into his discography. What 's the best place to turn next? For reference, I've probably at this point got more of an appetite for something that sounds like From Her To Eternity or like Push The Sky Away (admittedly, pretty different) than another Let Love In. Also might be worth mentioning that I can't stand Into My Arms [ducks].

8 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

You in a russy hating mood? Have I missed something in particular or just general anti-grumpiness? Am guessing you don't mean Zmg as she's hardly anywhere on here now she ain't doing glastonbury. 

? Russy is ace.

I was just trying to avoid an annex of that ridiculous Cave jagoff thread in here.

46 minutes ago, Fred Zepplin said:

Now I've got my turntable set up with a decent amp and speakers, 'In rainbows' sounds brilliant on it by the way I need some headphones. Do I need to spending a hundred quid plus to get a good sound out or since the amp is good can I get away with spending £30-40

Hmmm. Tricky enough to get something daycent for that cash.

https://rockjawaudio.com/products/brand-new-alfa-genus-v2?variant=5039556356

Maybe do some research into these?

I bought a set of AKG Q701's when I was pissed one night. True story. 

On 11/05/2016 at 2:59 PM, Tommy101 said:

Welcome mate. We all have to start somewhere and when the vinyl bug hits you then there is no turning back. I am a bit different to most on here in that the vast vast majority of my vinyl is dance music, which are predominantly 12" singles. It is the same buzz for us all though when mooching through car boot sales or dusty boxes in obscure little towns. One tip for you, don't buy all your vinyl off the internet. Nothing beats the buzz of discovering an obscure gem in the sad bins at a proper record shop :-)

On 11/05/2016 at 4:00 PM, Scruffylovemonster said:

My Technics turntable runs through a pre-amp then into my hifi. Sounds ace. Would love to go full on nerd but once I start I'd end up spending thousands. That I don't have. And wouldn't be worth it really. 

When I wire my decks up, I have them going through a Rane TTM 56 mixer (it's a badboy and the best money I have spent on absolutely anything.) The mixer goes to a Focusrite Scarlett soundcard, which then goes to my computer. My Genelec 8040's are connected to the soundcard as well. Would not say it sounds fantastic as the response is super flat. I have to add any colour by the mixer.

In regards to the headphones question, I have Sennheiser HD 25's. The headphones are not the important thing really. The main thing is how are you amplifying your music and what is colouring the noise. If you get a decent amp and mixer then you do not really need to be spending tons on headphones.

Edited by eastynh

On 12/05/2016 at 9:31 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Question for the Nick Cave fans, as they had a big selection in there, so now seems a good time to delve further. My Nick Cave listening so far pretty much extends to From Her To Eternity, Push The Sky Away and Let Love In, all of them are amazing albums, I love them and have been intending for a while to go deeper into his discography. What 's the best place to turn next? For reference, I've probably at this point got more of an appetite for something that sounds like From Her To Eternity or like Push The Sky Away (admittedly, pretty different) than another Let Love In. Also might be worth mentioning that I can't stand Into My Arms [ducks].

I'd recommend The Good Son, and No More Shall We Part. And then not morph this post into another Cave thread.

*gets coat*

We've got Madness greatest hits playing through the house today in anticipation of Glastonbury, it's getting excitement levels up.

My record are a combination of store bought (I'm within walking distance of Pie & Vinyl in Southsea which I hear has a bit of a name for itself), hand me downs and (such as Madness) and odd ebay/boot sale impulse buys of stuff that sounds fun which include some Scottish reggae which is a car crash and the soundtrack to Temple of Doom which is one of the best drunken purchases I've ever made. It's left me with quite the mix.

I've made the decision that at the very least I need to upgrade my hifi. It's just not doing the wax any justice!

@Wooderson - I gave Rated R a proper listen for the first time in ages today. It has some belters but I can't help but feel that there is some filler on there. Lost art of Keeping a Secret and Better Living Through Chemistry are stand out tracks though. Both so great live too.

On 14 May 2016 at 5:08 PM, Tommy101 said:

@Wooderson - I gave Rated R a proper listen for the first time in ages today. It has some belters but I can't help but feel that there is some filler on there. Lost art of Keeping a Secret and Better Living Through Chemistry are stand out tracks though. Both so great live too.

Those tracks are belters yep. Autopilot, In the Fade, Headache all similar standard tho. 

Well after over a decade searching, I have finally got myself a copy of this

https://www.discogs.com/Mike-E-Fever/release/1732869

Bloke has agreed to sell it me for £25. Its well, well over what it has sold for in the past, but there are just not many about (only 4 people it on discogs)

Might actually have to set a deck up and give it a play.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...