The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

20 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

In my ongoing quest to find all that's hip and happening in new music, I grabbed myself a copy of Paul Simon's Ultimate Collection from HMV. £17.99 not too bad for a double. Anyway, sounds mighty fine.

I am going hunting down some hip and happening, handbag house from the 90's, this afternoon :P

• 2 weeks later...

Took the plunge a few weeks back and bought myself a record player. Have been slowly starting with some of my favourite albums on wax (Radiohead, The National, Foals and Blur were the starting points). Such a novelty to go back to the physical aspect of albums in their entirety with sleeve and artwork etc. Am loving it!!

Raided the old mans (limited) record collection at the weekend. A lot of early Faces and Rod Stewart in there, plus a handful of really good Motown and disco records, The Commodores, Stevie, Earth Wind and Fire etc. They're a bit dusty but are sounding great, even after being stuffed in the garage for nearly 40 years!

35 minutes ago, Fred Zepplin said:

Just bought a new setup, got the Riga record store day turntable, marantz dm5005 amp and Dali sensor 1 speakers, should be giving them a first run out on Monday 

Nice. First record on the platter?

I had a bit of a word with my anti-skate this morning, I think I knocked it the other week and a few of my records have skipped because of it. Just to check it was the tonearm and not because of any record dirt, I gave a thorough clean to my original pressing of Let It Bleed and I've got that spinning now, sounds fucking unbelievable. Took me the best part of two hours to do, fucking around with distilling water like a massive anorak, but it's been worth it. A new pressing would probably sound better, but this was $6 Canadian when I bought it so I'm more than happy with these results.

The Long Goodbye arrived yesterday in all its 5LP glory, so I'm making full sure everything's in pristine condition before I give that a first spin tomorrow.

15 hours ago, Fred Zepplin said:

Just bought a new setup, got the Riga record store day turntable, marantz dm5005 amp and Dali sensor 1 speakers, should be giving them a first run out on Monday 

Excellent. Was refelcting on it this week, getting a turntable set up here has made a noticeable difference to the quality of my life in myriad ways. Delighted I did it. 

Do none of you use 1210's? Mine are absolutely goosed. To be fair I have not bothered with going on the decks now for a long time but I am starting to get the itch. Am deliberating saving for a new pair but the fact I may only end up using then once or twice is putting me off.

On 27/04/2016 at 4:05 PM, eastynh said:

Do none of you use 1210's? Mine are absolutely goosed. To be fair I have not bothered with going on the decks now for a long time but I am starting to get the itch. Am deliberating saving for a new pair but the fact I may only end up using then once or twice is putting me off.

I've a set of MKII's in good nick. What are wrong with yours? RPM issues?

On 23/04/2016 at 6:59 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

The Long Goodbye arrived yesterday in all its 5LP glory, so I'm making full sure everything's in pristine condition before I give that a first spin tomorrow.

Ive yet to play it end to end... One day when the kids are grown up hopefully.

CZice8zpSxCHREnRl38z_LCD%20Smile.gif

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

I've a set of MKII's in good nick. What are wrong with yours? RPM issues?

Yes mate, they keep going out of tempo. They also look shoddy, the arm is bent on one and they are just in a state of disrepair. Don't get me wrong, they are still usable. For what it would cost to refurb them, I may as well get a new pair. 

6 hours ago, eastynh said:

Yes mate, they keep going out of tempo. They also look shoddy, the arm is bent on one and they are just in a state of disrepair. Don't get me wrong, they are still usable. For what it would cost to refurb them, I may as well get a new pair. 

"New" over here = €600-€700

1 minute ago, Wooderson said:

"New" over here = €600-€700

Is that Mk 5's mate?

I like the Mk 3's. They do not drift when you approach unity pitch like the earlier models. I may keep an eye out on ebay for a second hand pair of Mk 3's in decent condition. 

I have been doing a lot of work on my house recently and had a tidy up. My mixer was just sat there idle and it is just going to waste. I have a Rane TTM 56 and I love the thing. It is the best money I have ever spent on anything. It needs a decent pair of decks to go with it.

12 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Is that Mk 5's mate?

I like the Mk 3's. They do not drift when you approach unity pitch like the earlier models. I may keep an eye out on ebay for a second hand pair of Mk 3's in decent condition. 

I have been doing a lot of work on my house recently and had a tidy up. My mixer was just sat there idle and it is just going to waste. I have a Rane TTM 56 and I love the thing. It is the best money I have ever spent on anything. It needs a decent pair of decks to go with it.

Decent 2 x MkII's with M447's over here = 700 blipz 

I recently purchased a Project essential ii to go with my old Rotel amp and bought 4 Infinity beta 50 speakers for a song of ebay

I can recommend the Project it's got good reviews and the sound is good,my only snag is is the belt that goes around the turntable,I flick it off sometimes when I'm putting the needle on

I'm not so sure about the Chromecast, I've stopped using mine as I've found there's sound loss and I've reverted back to using a lead plugged into my phono socket on my laptop which is annoying but better quality

6 hours ago, Thearg said:

I'm not so sure about the Chromecast, I've stopped using mine as I've found there's sound loss and I've reverted back to using a lead plugged into my phono socket on my laptop which is annoying but better quality

Really? I've found it fantastic.

On 4/30/2016 at 8:56 PM, Wooderson said:

Really? I've found it fantastic.

I've digged it back out and I've been doing some experimenting,it's ever so slight more noticeable when I play jazz,the bass isn't so warm but perhaps I'm being a bit finikity