The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

Whilst there's clearly loads of twatty geezers using RSD to make cashmoney, mostly it's anorak wearing gits like me out for some shitty repress they "just have to have". I do enjoy the hype. Soz.

Theres a Desmond Dekker release that I've my eye on this year alongside the 'Dead, Mathew Sweet and Etienne de Crecy.

6 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

All is not fair when nobbers are just queuing up to buy loads and bang on ebay for hundreds. Tantamount to ticket touting and not what RSD was invented for.

Unfortunately mate, if there is money to made from something then it will attract dickheads.

I can honestly say in all these years that I have never sold a record, nevermind for silly money.

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Whilst there's clearly loads of twatty geezers using RSD to make cashmoney, mostly it's anorak wearing gits like me out for some shitty repress they "just have to have". I do enjoy the hype. Soz.

Theres a Desmond Dekker release that I've my eye on this year alongside the 'Dead, Mathew Sweet and Etienne de Crecy.

You are a 'black crack' addict mate and there is no hope for you :-)

6 minutes ago, Fred Zepplin said:

Does anyone buy from Rakuten? The vinyls seem to be so cheap, are most of them just dodgy knock offs?

Never heard of it mate. I buy mostly from Discogs now if I don't go hunting.

To be fair though I generally buy 2nd hand vinyl so am probably not the best qualified on other outlets.

just had a look at the RSD list and prices. 4LP live '77 thing form the Dead. 120 notes. They can go fuck themselves too.

http://www.rise-music.co.uk/RSD16?utm_source=Main+Mailing+List&utm_campaign=49c6cbe6d8-AOTW3_15_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_5d249dc878-49c6cbe6d8-156810977

6 hours ago, Mardy said:

just had a look at the RSD list and prices. 4LP live '77 thing form the Dead. 120 notes. They can go fuck themselves too.

http://www.rise-music.co.uk/RSD16?utm_source=Main+Mailing+List&utm_campaign=49c6cbe6d8-AOTW3_15_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_5d249dc878-49c6cbe6d8-156810977

Few things I would not mind,

808 State - Pacific

Chip E - Like This

Ecstasy Club - Jesus Loves The Acid (This I definitely want)

14 hours ago, Mardy said:

Nothing on there that interests me really.

And yeah, for a bunch of hippies, The Dead really love a quick note don't they? Their re releases are its own industry! 

odd one today, it's apparently an unofficial release of Talk Talk's Laughing Stock. Just giving it a listen, sound quality is pretty good, strange release though, couple of extra tracks on it

15 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Did you see that new explosions in the sky vinyl, Mardy? 31 bastard quid. It did look good though. Couldn't justify with the 3 other albums I had in my hand as well. Maybe next week.

Yeah, I had a look on Amazon, but obviously I can't find it here in Russia, so I didn't really consider it

I'm back in the UK at the start of May, so slowly getting a list of things I want together. Not sure I'll punt 32 quid on that record though.

19 hours ago, Mardy said:

Also got Eno, Another Green World, but decided not to get the copy of 'Stormbringer' by John and Beverly Martin. Already regretting that. Next week, next week.

better from Eno are 'taking tiger mountain by strategy' and 'here come the warm jets'.

And better by John & Beverly is 'road to ruin'.

10 hours ago, Wooderson said:

I don't think I've heard those two additional tunes from Talk Talk, Mardy. 

Love that record. Is cheesy to say it but "New Grass" is their finest work. Yes, even better than "I Believe In You".

I did a bit of digging, the additional tunes seem to be from this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_Pieces_(Talk_Talk_album)

man, i've loved talk talk from way back in the day, had cassettes of their stuff, then upgraded to cd, they've been a constant in my life for 25 years, but i'm not sure the 18 year old me really appreciated how good those last two albums were.

more importantly, the bass player has the coolest name in musical history

25 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

better from Eno are 'taking tiger mountain by strategy' and 'here come the warm jets'.

And better by John & Beverly is 'road to ruin'.

Cheers mate, i'm pretty new to Eno, and the back catalogue is quite daunting, i've given a few a listen on Spotify (love that one with Byrne)  now getting them when i see them.

road to ruin is great, yeah, in the same way as i love pretty much everything up to One World, but I'm kind of limited to what i can find in shops here. Stormbringer has John the Baptist, though, eh? What a song.

Just now, Mardy said:

Cheers mate, i'm pretty new to Eno, and the back catalogue is quite daunting, i've given a few a listen on Spotify (love that one with Byrne)  now getting them when i see them.

you need to be a bit careful with the Eno stuff ... some of it is very off the wall.

From what I know nothing gets close to 'My Life In The Bush of Ghosts', but those two I named are the next-best IMO.

I can't remember the track name now, but one of the tracks on one of those is what Blur ripped off for one of their tracks (coffee and TV, I think).

On 02/04/2016 at 9:38 PM, Gnomicide said:

Been giving some of the old vinyl a clean up and a spin today. Using vinyl revival which seems to work pretty well.

I use Fairy washing up liquid to clean my vinyl, Then run them on the deck so the needle can pick up any dislodged grime, before a final wipe over with a miracle wipe and IPA.

Received The Spade by Butch Walker and The Black Widows today. Ordered though Amazon marketplace and sent from Switzerland of all places. All for the princely sum of £12.04.

Sounding great on vinyl,  on of my favourite albums of the last few years, an absolute joy to listen to.

I've only been posting here for something like 5 years and this is the first I have seen the Vinyl thread! My lordy lord........

I won a few quid on the gee gees yesterday so thought I would treat myself to an album...... ended up buying Meds by Placebo on Pink vinyl purely as Pink is my favourite colour (I have this thing about coloured vinyl - it is such a beautiful thing!) and now I am sitting in my office listening to them obsessively.

Not the vinyl mind, if I brought my turntable amp and speakers into the office my boss would have my bollocks!

On 31/03/2016 at 6:23 PM, Mardy said:

£28 for the Bowie is also a bit mad, but if Banquet in Kingston get any and I get there early enough I might still buy one. TMWSTW is a great album.
Agreed 120 notes is also beyond mad!